Why become a member? ×

'88 Alembic Spoiler

Clarky

This is a serious rock machine, the model played by Cliff Burton and Jason Newsted of Metallica (and thus highly sought after as there aren't many in circulation in this colour scheme). As a Metallica fan I love the way this bass looks and plays - with one fatal flaw, it weighs 11 pounds and thats just too much for me, my back and my left shoulder (which had a rotator cuff injury a couple of years ago and is prone to grumble with heavy basses strapped on).

The good - plays beautifully (32 inch scale length is very easy to navigate fast), sounds very Alembic (ask jakesbass, old horse murphy, or jonthebass), looks rock, and is an Alembic you would happily gig rather than admire and polish.

The bad - the weight (though its nowhere near as heavy as, say, an MK 5), and the finish has a couple of small chips in the headstock, lots of fine surface scratches in the picking area (which could probably T-cut out) and quite a few bumps/dints (none breaking the thick black gloss finish) on the rear, especially at the back of the horn. You might want to do a partial re-fin but, TBH, it didn't bother me as it meant I could happily gig it without fussing.

I imported it from the US for over £1300 and have since added some very nice Alembic 40-100 stainless steel round strings for an all-in cost of about £1400. It comes with a very solid fitted Alembic hard case. For pics please see link in my sig below

Edited by Clarky

Shame you have to sell this Clarky. The Spoilers, Europas and Elans are pretty heavy instruments though. The Series I/II instruments have hollow bodies so don't have the weight issues. Good luck with the sale.

Thanks CK, post amended re weight comparisons. If it weighed the better part of a couple of pounds less, like the Spoiler Deaver owns, it would be staying. Don't know if I'm being overly sensitive but since injuring my hand recently (bones still broken!), to add to my dodgy left shoulder/back, I would much rather have a lighter bass around my neck

[quote name='Clarky' post='1004229' date='Oct 28 2010, 07:14 PM']This is a serious rock machine, the model played by Cliff Burton and Jason Newsted of Metallica (and thus highly sought after as there aren't many in circulation in this colour scheme). As a Metallica fan I love the way this bass looks and plays - with one fatal flaw, it weighs 11 pounds and thats just too much for me, my back and my left shoulder (which had a rotator cuff injury a couple of years ago and is prone to grumble with heavy basses strapped on).

The good - plays beautifully (32 inch scale length is very easy to navigate fast), sounds very Alembic (ask jakesbass, old horse murphy, or jonthebass), looks rock, and is an Alembic you would happily gig rather than admire and polish.

The bad - the weight (though its nowhere near as heavy as, say, an MK 5), and the finish has a couple of small chips in the headstock, lots of fine surface scratches in the picking area (which could probably T-cut out) and quite a few bumps/dints (none breaking the thick black gloss finish) on the rear, especially at the back of the horn (photo below). You might want to do a partial re-fin but, TBH, it didn't bother me as it meant I could happily gig it without fussing.

I imported it from the US for over £1300 and have since added some very nice Alembic 40-100 stainless steel round strings. It comes with a very solid fitted Alembic hard case I am after £1400 posted to recoup my total outlay.

[attachment=62430:alembic05.jpg][attachment=62431:alembic02.jpg][attachment=62433:alembic10.jpg]

Here's Cliff Burton (RIP) with his one:
[attachment=62434:43212.jpg]

and Jason Newsted with his:
[attachment=62447:DSC01551.jpg][/quote]

Hi Clarky, sad news you have to sell that bass. I did my first gig with my new Alembic bass yesterday and it sounds great.
All the best with the sale.

Jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' post='1004539' date='Oct 28 2010, 11:16 PM']Hi Clarky, sad news you have to sell that bass. I did my first gig with my new Alembic bass yesterday and it sounds great.
All the best with the sale.

Jazzyvee[/quote]
Thanks JV, its the best bass I own but also by far the heaviest and its got to the stage where its a problem for me. Very sad. More positively I will be keeping an eye open on the Alembic Club for an early 80s black Spoiler as these were nearer 9 pounds (unlike the much heavier late 80s versions)

[quote name='cocco' post='1005430' date='Oct 29 2010, 04:40 PM']am I trippin' or are there eight control nobs on the one newstead is pictured with?[/quote]
No you are quite sober! He modded his Spoiler by fitting Series II controls to it (and a hard-to-see pickguard as he sweats so much it was going into the pickup cavities - yuk). Mine is simple by comparison with volume and tone filter knobs, a rotary pickup selector (which has a useful 'off' position for total silence) and a 'Q' switch (which subtly changes frequencies, making it a bit deeper).

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1005435' date='Oct 29 2010, 04:44 PM']No you are quite sober! He modded his Spoiler by fitting Series 1 controls to it (and a hard-to-see pickguard as he sweats so much it was going into the pickup cavities - yuk). Mine is simple by comparison with volume and tone filter knobs, a rotary pickup selector (which has a useful 'off' position for total silence) and a 'Q' switch (which subtly changes frequencies, making it a bit deeper).[/quote]

Fair enough! I dread to think what they all do..... Tis a lovely looking bass this. I'd love to take this off you. Sadly I'll never have £14,000 to spend on a bass as long as I have a hole in my arse :)

[quote name='MB1' post='1005534' date='Oct 29 2010, 05:56 PM']MB1. :)
I've not previously seen a solid one colour bic before. Theyre usually multi coloured exotic woods, looks great! (very SB reminiscent)
Sadowsky actually waterproof Mr Newsteads Basses!
BUMP![/quote]

I read that article about Mr Newsted - didn't he test the Sadowskys by submerging them in salty water and then trying to play them.

Gotta feel for his bass tech...

BTW - lovely looking bass

[quote name='MB1' post='1005534' date='Oct 29 2010, 05:56 PM']MB1. :)
I've not previously seen a solid one colour bic before. Theyre usually multi coloured exotic woods, looks great! (very SB reminiscent)
Sadowsky actually waterproof Mr Newsteads Basses!
BUMP![/quote]

You can't be serious?

[quote name='cocco' post='1005879' date='Oct 29 2010, 10:58 PM']You can't be serious?[/quote]

MB1. :)
Totally Serious! seems Mr Newstead does get rather sweaty while playing!.He has apparently written off the electrics in several basses,so Sadowsky waterproof them for him!

I am withdrawing this from sale as - having had a session on it again yesterday evening - it plays so beautifully and sounds so good.

The weight remains a serious issue but I am going to persevere with a more supportive strap. I will also keep an eye open for a lighter, early 80s lookalike - if one should come along (albeit they rarely do) I will buy that one and put this bass up FS again.

• 2 weeks later...

It's no good. I tried to play this bass for a few songs this evening with a very broad, thick leather Minotaur strap and it's just too uncomfortable for my shoulders /back. So regrettably it's up for sale again. This time I am shaving £100 off my outlay and calling it £1300 posted. If 11 pounds in weight doesn't bother you this is a great deal. Reminder pics of my bass and Cliff Burton with same model.

If £1300 cash is not available to an interested party (or a straight swap with an Eminence upright bass), I might do as I have done before ... which is to trade against a decent quality Fender-shaped bass that I should be able to move on without too much difficulty and that I could happily live with if it took a bit of time (eg, sunburst, sonic blue, seafoam green Fender CS, Sadowsky etc)

I appreciate this is a bit of a 'special interest' item (for Metallica geeks, like me, or Alembic fans of which BC does not have an overwhelming number) so I have also put it on eBay [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130454200107"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=130454200107[/url] Happy, as ever, to pull the listing early if a BC'er wants this (assuming there are no bids at that point)

[attachment=63776:alembic02.jpg][attachment=63777:alembic05.jpg][attachment=63775:43212.jpg]

Edited by Clarky