Why become a member? ×

Wal mk2 5 string fretless - Sold

Bassy

##Now Sold##

I'm selling my Mk2 5 string fretless, made about 1989 (i'll have to check the exact date). Honduran mahogany front and back, solid mahogany body, seven piece neck with a Macasser ebony board.
This bass was originally fretted, but i had it converted to a fretless by Pete at Wal. He put in pale wood fretmarkers and replaced the original white dot markers with a matching dark ebony dots.
The body is in excellent condition but the headstock has a few knocks and there is a 1.5" crack in the gloss on the back of headstock but this doesn't effect the wood (all shown in the pics). Comes with a hard Gator case.
£2500 ono
North London

Edited by Bassy

Much appreciated, thanks.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='120530' date='Jan 15 2008, 12:00 AM']I've posted a link onto the Walbassesnaturally forum on Yahoo for you; lot of American Wal fans on there constantly looking out for a decent and fairly priced Wal..

Good luck with the sale - it's a beauty![/quote]

Gorgeous bass! I had a 4 string ,facings made from the same piece of wood. Apparently came from a 200yr old manor house that was being demolished,and a company salvaged it ,then used it as a step for years.
Pete accquired the wood and i think he said he made half a dozen or so from it. Very nice.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='121261' date='Jan 16 2008, 02:17 AM']It's now been posted up on the Baddassbassplayers forum as well.. Good news travels fast it would seem![/quote]

[quote name='mgauction' post='121271' date='Jan 16 2008, 05:00 AM']A very fair price. This will move. Beautiful Bassy!

Nik, as usual, is a first rate classy guy helping out anyone else to place it in good hands![/quote]
Hi Mike

Definitely - it's a lovely looking bass!

Thanks for the kind words but I'm just 'spreading the love' as Owen on this forum described it when he sent me a replacement low B string saddle free of charge for the Roscoe Beck just before Christmas.. And as you know, I've definitely gotta do that where Wals are concerned! The Roscoe is amazing by the way Mike - my main gigging bass now! Hope you're good and I will send you a PM or email to continue the chat..

Sorry to hijack your thread Bassy!

No prob on the hijack, thanks for all the help.
Yep it's a lovely bass and as anyone who's played a Wal fretless knows, they have the most amazing fretless tone because of the Wal electronics. Just listen to Mick Karn in Japan or Dalis Car. I don't really want to sell it, but i think i've only played it twice in 3 years!!

[quote name='Bassy' post='121349' date='Jan 16 2008, 10:54 AM']No prob on the hijack, thanks for all the help.
Yep it's a lovely bass and as anyone who's played a Wal fretless knows, they have the most amazing fretless tone because of the Wal electronics. Just listen to Mick Karn in Japan or Dalis Car. I don't really want to sell it, but i think i've only played it twice in 3 years!![/quote]
Is that because it's a fretless and you're more of a fretted player?

Absolutely. I play a lot of rock and i can never find a place for the fretless sound. But I know as soon as it's sold, i'll suddenly have something that needs a fretlless.....But i can't justify having a Wal just sitting in a case.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='121357' date='Jan 16 2008, 11:14 AM']Is that because it's a fretless and you're more of a fretted player?[/quote]

Thanks, I'll keep a look out for his mail.
Another Wal going to the US? Are there going to be any left in the UK?

[quote name='mgauction' post='121918' date='Jan 17 2008, 05:08 AM']Bassy, I think a pal of mine from the USA is going to email you. He has long wanted a Wal 5 and I think this is the one.[/quote]

Noooo...
Must not look!!!
I know just how good this bass is. Would make a perfect companion for my 4 string fretted Wal Custom
I'm equipping a studio at the moment - so I dare not think about this beauty - the cash just isn't there.
But have a bump for a wonderful Wal (& yes - someone help keep this in the UK please!).

[quote name='Bassy' post='121361' date='Jan 16 2008, 11:19 AM']Absolutely. I play a lot of rock and i can never find a place for the fretless sound. But I know as soon as it's sold, i'll suddenly have something that needs a fretlless.....But i can't justify having a Wal just sitting in a case.[/quote]
Boz Burrell?

Wal fives don't appear that regularly, i think the mk1 four strings were the most popular? As suggested a good luthier could fairly easily covert this bass back to a fretted.

[quote name='HailTheVillain' post='122596' date='Jan 18 2008, 06:00 AM']Do you know where I can get 5-string fretted Wal bass?[/quote]

[quote name='99ster' post='122508' date='Jan 17 2008, 10:49 PM']Noooo...
Must not look!!!
I know just how good this bass is. Would make a perfect companion for my 4 string fretted Wal Custom
I'm equipping a studio at the moment - so I dare not think about this beauty - the cash just isn't there.
But have a bump for a wonderful Wal (& yes - someone help keep this in the UK please!).[/quote]
+1 :)

Patrick - you have mail!

[quote name='patricklaplan' post='123233' date='Jan 19 2008, 01:25 AM']Still got the bass? i want to pick it up from u...
Let me know how we should proceed
Peace
Patrick laplan[/quote]