Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Alembic Series 1: Flamed Koa (1982) - £3100 - many new images

lozbass

Imported from the US around 12 weeks ago - a stunning flamed Koa Alembic Series 1. The bass was a 1982 build but was entirely restored by Alembic and delivered back in May of this year. It's essentially a brand new Alembic Series 1!

The story of the bass and the re-build can be viewed here (with photographs):

[url="http://alembic.com/club/messages/395/84934.html?1285420518"]http://alembic.com/club/messages/395/84934.html?1285420518[/url]

More of the story is here:

[url="http://alembic.com/club/messages/411/80943.html?1278296056"]http://alembic.com/club/messages/411/80943.html?1278296056[/url]

Playability is stunning - action is very low - and the tone is pure Alembic (think very high-end grand piano).

All of the original parts are included and the bass is supplied with a brand new G&G hard case (it's big!). The bass itself was slimmed down considerably (read the story) and is now super-light for an Alembic (about 9.2lbs I think). I don't have the power supply, but easier and more convenient in my opinion, I have two stereo leads supplied by OBBM (these were built to the Alembic recipe). One converts the stereo output to mono (but retains full functionality of the circuit). The other is a stereo jack to two mono jacks - this permits full use of the stereo functionality.

The quality of finishing etc. is everything you'd expect from Alembic - totally out of this world, and in my opinion, the finest there is (and I've had a few high-end basses!) The Koa is absolutely beautiful and has a wonderful 3D quality - please see the photographs below - apologies, my photography skills are very limited! I'd hold on to this bass without any problem, but the reality is that I play short-scales almost exclusively and my long-scales (including this Alembic) are redundant.

I've been over the bass extremely carefully and can find no blemishes or marks whatsoever, other than a very shallow, hairline scratch (about 5/8" in length) on the brass control plate. This is the kind of mark that could be caused by a shirt button and should easily polish out (if you can be bothered, it's tiny and inconsequential - indeed, it's hard to find if you don't know where it is). The only other niggle is a bit of grit/oxidisation in the neck filter pot at the very end of the pot's travel - this was brought to the attention of Alembic HQ during the renovation and I suspect the normal fix was applied, i,e., turn the pot fully around 50 times. The niggle is intermittent (it's occurred on around 3 occassions since I've had the bass) and is cured by turning the pot maybe ten to twenty times. Again, if you can be bothered, a new pot can be acquired from Alembic. I mention the niggles for complete disclosure - they really are incredibly minor and inconsequential - this is basically a 'new' and completely perfect instrument.

I paid over £3450 to get this bass into the UK but realise that I'll have to take a hit - the price of £3100 is firm (and a bit of a bargain really!)

Collection in central Manchester is good or I can ship (at cost) to the UK, US and Europe.

I'm very pushed for time, but I'll try to answer any questions as rapidly as possible - cheers!

Edited by lozbass

:) That is just [i]outrageously[/i] lovely. If I hadn't recently bought an old series 1 (not as pretty or as good nick as this one, but love it to bits) I'd be considering any method legal or semi legal to raise the cash for this. I might anyway........

Having just done a trade with lozbass I can confirm he's an absolute star to deal with too. :)

• 3 weeks later...

must stop looking at this bass,thinking of selling my kidney to pay for it!!!!
what a work of art,koa as nice as that is as rare as rocking horse sh*t....
can i pay a £1 deposit and keep it for me till my lottery numbers come in????
i can dream........

Thanks very much indeed for all the lovely compliments - the bass is indeed a very gorgeous example of its type. It's also really light and comfy at around 9lbs - some of these come in at 11 to 13lbs!

I had a look over the G&G hard case yesterday too - it's the case that was supplied by Alembic when the bass was returned following the renovation - again, it's in perfect and entirely unblemished condition.

In response to a couple of questions (and again, thanks for the compliments and offers!)...

1. The bass has a non-adjustable nut - the original nut (to be supplied with the bass) was non-adjustable and was replaced with a like-for-like unit (I'm not sure, but I think that adjustable nut was introduced considerably later than '82) The new nut is beautifully engineered and offers really nice feel at the lower end of the neck...not that I can reach too easily (I only really play short-scales)

2. There is a (walnut?) laminate between the maple/purpleheart neck and the ebony fingerboard - this looks very classy and is beautifully executed - I'm not sure if this was a feature of earlier Series basses (maybe - somebody out there knows?) The oval markers are MOP

3. The sale includes all of the original parts that were stripped from the bass during the renovation - some are in good condition, others worn and marked. I'll try to get an image as soon as possible (though there is one in the linked original thread at Alembic Club). The two original pickups are included, though one has been marked 'dead' by Alembic staff. I suspect that the parts on there own could be worth a reasonable amount - it may be worth looking around Alembic Club

4. oops, and edit...the centre laminate in the neck is flame maple - a nice contrast with the plain outer laminates and the purpleheart

Any further questions, please just ask

Edited by lozbass

Hey Loz, that's a stunner. If my numbers come up on Saturday I shall be on to you quicker than a whippet! For an essentially as new Series 1 that has to be, despite the hefty price tag, one of the bargains on BC. I wish, I wish etc etc :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1077707' date='Jan 4 2011, 07:19 PM']Hey Loz, that's a stunner. If my numbers come up on Saturday I shall be on to you quicker than a whippet! For an essentially as new Series 1 that has to be, despite the hefty price tag, one of the bargains on BC. I wish, I wish etc etc :)[/quote]
Lovely bass Lawrence, if only I had some cash, never mind, have a new year bump!