Why become a member? ×

East J-Retro 01 - 'Before and After' Comparison Sound Clips

xilddx

Some of you know I bought a gorgeous CAR Japan Fender Jazz from Far East Guitars a couple of weeks back. It's wonderful to play but I am used to active Warwicks and, for me, the tones on offer from the Fender did not float my duck. It has a BadassII bridge which may or may not contribute to that.

So, having already bought a U-Retro Deluxe from John East last year for another bass, I thought I'd get a J-Retro 01 for this 'un.

I recorded 8 clips, three with the original passive electronics and five with the East.

All are direct into my desk with no EQ, compression, nothing, except a little bit of hall reverb so you can hear the sounds more clearly. All played finger-style with thumb resting on the neck pickup.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=72772"]01_Track_1.mp3[/url]

The clips are as follows:

[b]PASSIVE Fender - tone control full on[/b]
1. Bridge
2. Both equal
3. Neck

[b]ACTIVE East - All controls set flat[/b]
4. Bridge
5. Both equal
6. Neck

[b]ACTIVE East - Bass almost fully boosted / treble rolled off / bright flat / mid flat[/b]
7. Neck

[b]ACTIVE East - Bass slightly boosted / treble boosted about 50% / bright boosted by about 20% / mid flat[/b]
8. Neck

There is a passive mode on the East too, It's almost exactly like the original Fender tones. There's a 'get out of trouble' switch too in case your battery dies at an inopportune moment.

I have to say, I am totally knocked out by the J-Retro 01, it's transformed this Jazz into a go-to bass for any situation.

Edited by silddx

I always like the way these pre's can liven up a sound, plus the passive switch option which is a very good backup.
Sometimes I just run passive anyway as I am happy with those sounds on my basses as well.

Looks like you haven't explored the mid sweep so far..nothing wrong in that...it is capable of extreme tone shaping, IMO. which needs to be worked in gradually.

Glad it worked out. thought it would :)

Thanks gents :)

JT, I did mess with the mids a little but to me, it's for getting a great place in the mix, and since this is solo bass, I thought I may serve the purpose of the thread better leaving it flat. You're right though, the mid sweep boost/cut is immensely useful.

Pook, I use the neck pup almost exclusively on every bass, the neck pup's where it's at!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1134599' date='Feb 20 2011, 06:15 PM']Im all about the active sounds from all basses I cant see me ever using a passive bass, As soon as clip 4 started I felt "at home".[/quote]

I never really thought this until a few months back when I realised I hadn't owned a fully passive bass since I was 17!! My 75 precision has had EMGs since I got it. My $$5 is active and I rarely use the passive option. I fitted a East Retro on my Marcus I bought off Gaf on here - although already active, the East brought it totally to life and gives it enormous presence - I have done some a/b recordings to show my old school mate who insists passive is best esp on a Fender and even when balanced the active just cuts through so much better (you can find the sweet spot easier). I do occasionally switch it to passive but usually I am left wondering why would anyone want a bass to sound like that!! (Please take this as a purely personal statement of taste - if you dig passive then fabulous, it's every bit as great) If I can juggle finances then it will be a 4 knob U retro on my $$5 and a P retro on my Precision. Fitting an East is a great investment.

Edited by RichardFoggo

[quote name='RichardFoggo' post='1134624' date='Feb 20 2011, 06:32 PM']I never really thought this until a few months back when I realised I hadn't owned a fully passive bass since I was 17!! My 75 precision has had EMGs since I got it. My $$5 is active and I rarely use the passive option. I fitted a East Retro on my Marcus I bought off Gaf on here - although already active, the East brought it totally to life and gives it enormous presence - I have done some a/b recordings to show my old school mate who insists passive is best esp on a Fender and even when balanced the active just cuts through so much better (you can find the sweet spot easier). I do occasionally switch it to passive but usually I am left wondering why would anyone want a bass to sound like that!! (Please take this as a purely personal statement of taste - if you dig passive then fabulous, it's every bit as great) If I can juggle finances then it will be a 4 knob U retro on my $$5 and a P retro on my Precision. Fitting an East is a great investment.[/quote]
Nice to hear that about the Marcus. I've got one with the original pre on it, and thought about an East a few times.

Still something worth thinking about then.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1134787' date='Feb 20 2011, 08:43 PM']ACTIVE East - Bass almost fully boosted / treble rolled off / bright flat / mid flat
7. Neck

This sounds distorted, or is that the idea?[/quote]
It's the subs messing with the speakers, if you turn it down it's clean. The bass boost is extreme!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1134769' date='Feb 20 2011, 08:29 PM']Nice!

Does he make a pedal version?![/quote]

yes - if you look on John's website you will see a STMP-01, which is the J retro in a box! I dont think it gets talked about enough when all this chat about Sadowsky etc outboards is going on. I haven't heard anyone talk about it (review it).

Edited by RichardFoggo

[quote name='silddx' post='1134970' date='Feb 20 2011, 11:48 PM']Sorry, no offence meant.

I was wondering if your speakers might be f***ed from too much loud dub. One of my Alesis M1 Actives is.[/quote]

[b]PARDON ![/b] - Oh hang on, I'll just turn me subs down a bit.............. :)

No need to apologise, I wasn't offended at all, I just had another listen and you're right, it's clean and very deep - what part of the frequency range is being boosted ?

[quote name='redstriper' post='1134985' date='Feb 21 2011, 12:24 AM'][b]PARDON ![/b] - Oh hang on, I'll just turn me subs down a bit.............. :lol:

No need to apologise, I wasn't offended at all, I just had another listen and you're right, it's clean and very deep - what part of the frequency range is being boosted ?[/quote]
I just realised you were being witty, sorry :) I must have had a SoH failure :)

According to John, the higher you boost the bass on the J-Retro, the lower the frequency becomes. This would be boosted at about 50Hz. Amazingly deep for a bass going direct with nothing other than a touch of reverb.

Cheers,
N

Thanks for taking the time to record those examples. That J-Retro is very nice indeed. You may have made my mind up for me. You should get a cut from Mr East for all the extra profit he's going to make this month.

By the way I'm picking up a CIJ 62 reissue Jazz on Sunday..........hope it sounds as good as yours.

Edited by gjones