Why become a member? ×

TRACE ELLIOT COMMANDO 15

Rich_uk77

Hey,

They're pretty decent for what they are. Iv gigged one in Birmingham at a well known venue. It was the house gear there and it had a pretty good sound, again for what it is which is a basic combo. They have that classic Trace sound you'd expect so I took a liking to it!

In comparison to other amps Iv played/owned, it has a more 'aggressive' sound to the Hartke B90, or B900 I think it is now. They're both pretty much the same kind of thing.

Hope this of some use!

Dan

My first proper gigging amp was an old 100 Commando. It was cool,but it became too underpowered for what I needed.
I find that Trace Elliot gear had a certain sound,whether you used a little Boxer combo or a full stack.

Just for a bit of balance, i had one (the old carpet covered 100 watter) and really didn't like it!

Decent enough for the money but the sound wasn't to my taste and it never seemed capable of delivering volume without being pushed too hard.

Eventually crapped out and wouldn't stop blowing fuses so i swapped it for a black Big Muff. I tried one of the later ones at a gig and that actully seemed quiter

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1163493' date='Mar 15 2011, 06:46 PM']Just for a bit of balance, i had one (the old carpet covered 100 watter) and really didn't like it!

Decent enough for the money but the sound wasn't to my taste and it never seemed capable of delivering volume without being pushed too hard.

Eventually crapped out and wouldn't stop blowing fuses so i swapped it for a black Big Muff. I tried one of the later ones at a gig and that actully seemed quiter[/quote]

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='1163506' date='Mar 15 2011, 06:55 PM']For more balance, my first combo was a Commando 15. Sound was good on it's own, but i found it was totally lost in a band setting. Got a Peavey 115 after that, found it miles better in a gigging situation.[/quote]
The 150W I found to be more punchy than the 100W version i still have, but I would agree that the 100W ones certainly lacked enough oomph for anything but the quietest of gigs. They still sound nice though (IMO, at volumes before breakup :) )

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Merton' post='1163617' date='Mar 15 2011, 09:20 PM']but I would agree that the 100W ones certainly lacked enough oomph for anything but the quietest of gigs.[/quote]

And this is why the search function here is wonderful! I was really thinking about getting one of these as my "smaller gigs" amp but my band is LOUD so this not keeping up with them sould be a worry. A deep shame, as the 150w ones are harder to find... seems like it would be perfect (had myself a Trace rig before and loved it)

[i]Think I might start a "what combo" thread now! haha![/i]

Edited by Stag

• 2 months later...

I have the old carpet covered 100w version and can't agree about the power. I use mine with a P bass and it easily keeps up with the drummer. As monitoring back-line at larger gigs or by itself at smaller gigs it always performs for me. I play pop/rock at reasonable volumes, nothing too loud I guess, but the Commando always keeps up.

The only thing I've had to do with mine us replace the top carrying handle a couple of times but that's just wear and tear, you can get them easily enough online..