Why become a member? ×

Natural looking jazz bass build

Ross

Ok, so I've been hunting for parts and tools to borrow and gathering knowledge for a week.
So far what I have to do:
Sand and lacquer the body
Lacquer the neck
Make the neck fit the pocket and be straight (about half a mil out, it's too tight a squeeze)
Drill all the holes (neck, bridge, control plate, pickguard, strap pins, tuner screws, string retainer.
Buy pickups, tuners, electronics, strings and screws.
Assemble this beast!

Spend so far:
Body £60.50 posted (either ash or alder, unbranded)
Neck £42 posted (maple, rosewood. Also unbranded off the same guy on ebay)
Neckplate and screws £6
Pickguard £5
Wood control plate £6 (still in the post)
Sandpaper and clear nitrocellulose lacquer £22ish (hoping I can get away with 1 can)
Bridge and strap pins, free from other jazz.
Total £141.50

Planning on buying wizard 64's and using the pickups from my other jazz, might just drop them into this one though.
CTS pots, switchcraft jack, cloth covered cable, PIO cap. Pretty standard wiring.
La Bella deep talkin flatwounds (especially seeing as I want a flats bass in time for joining the university of Plymouth big band next year)

A few pictures (the bits you really want to see)

Updates soon!

Edited by Ross

It was an ebay jobby [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230611470620&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT[/url]

Just started to sand the body down (using 400 and 800 grit paper, becoming smooth as a babys ass)

Edited by Ross

Might see how it looks after it's done. I can always put a pickguard on after.
Only thing I am worried about is the neck pickup pocket looks like it'd been routed a tad wide so I may end up having to use a pickguard to cover up the inaccuracies in the routing, I'll have to measure it when my hangover calms down.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1223967' date='May 8 2011, 10:59 AM']A lot of bodies have sloppy neck pup routs, Squier just rout a big rectangle nowadays and i've seen USA Fenders that are even worse. Once the pickup is in it's not as noticeable i don't think, my old Jaco copy was like that.[/quote]

Wooden pickguard? That could be pretty sweet. Lovely neck wood there, if it plays ok that's a bargain!

Bit of an update guys.
Decided to take a break from the mounds of revision today and use some 400 grit and sanding block to widen the neck pocket.
The neck is very very slightly off from my measurements but completely negligable, it's less than a degree off and a really snug fit. Waiting for lacquer now, I'm gonna finish the body and neck before I drill the holes.

Only trouble with that is I have the lacquer and sanding sealer now but not all of the hardware, I see your point though, no point in rushing these things. Cheers for the tip.

Guess i'll have to wait then get to work with the old centrepunch and do as much as I can while I still have access to a drill press (going home on the 23rd where I don't know anyone with one).

Marking out done roughly for now, used a bit of trellis wire and got creative to get string alignment perfect. 34" scale at the g saddle, just back from the end of the screw.
And while I think the pickups look rather nice I think they might sound a bit thin and lifeless :)

Edited by Ross

Bit of an update, not much to tell really.
Still waiting on my buddy to take me to his dads workshop so I can do the hard part, drilling the holes.

Got most of the hardware now, the control plate arrived today. Got the tuners courtesy of lemmywinks for a bargain £10.
Nitrocellulose lacquer also came yesterday but I've not been able to track down sanding sealer in wickes, wilkinsons, homebase. No one seems to sell it, may have to order it online unless anyone knows a place?

Anyway, a few more pics.

Ignore the poorly aligned control plate, it does actually fit but I basically just threw it on there to see what it'd look like and didn't notice til after the pictures were taken.

Edited by Ross

Found some in a kitchenware/ tool merchant (lawsons) just yesterday, amazing how a small shop like that has a better range than the giants, good to see one still going, I should be drilling the holes monday and I can then start to make some real progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a little progress today, finished drilling the holes.
4mm > 3mm for the neck pocket/ neck.
1.5mm for pickguard (though I fear these will be a tad small)
2mm for the tuners
3mm for the strap buttons.

Just waiting for screws but thats largely irrelevant as I should be on to starting the finish tomorrow.
5 coats of sanding sealer then a much clear gloss lacquer as is needed I think.
Debating about the neck because it's gloriously smooth without a finish on it at all but I know it won't last with regular playing.

A few pictures:

Edited by Ross

Real progress finally. Finished the finish now, I'm debating whether I should polish it. I quite like it as is, bit of tcut and wax would no doubt make it uber shiny.
Assembled and set it up today, plays really nice, the neck is actually a little thinner than my other jazz which is ideal for my stumpy sausage fingers.
All that is really left to do is sheilding, buying some pickguard screws (guitar parts worldwide are still out of them), buying the pickups and dropping it all into place.

Right, bit of an update.
Unfortunately I'm still waiting on screws and pickups are a long way off seeing as I've run out of money and work are messing me about.
It's important the government doesn't hear my tunes though so I did get round to lining the cavities today:

Edited by Ross

• 2 weeks later...

This is looking great - and only about 6 weeks since you started. That's pretty good going, all things considered. It actually makes me think that I could even try it myself - although I'd want to paint it too.

Edited by lanark

A lot of the hold ups have been financial and tool limitations.
I could have had this done weeks and weeks ago, it's surprisingly easy, very enjoyable and I'd highly recommend it.
All I need now is pickups and nobs, which are a long way off. I'm £1000 overdrawn and jobless until at the earliest, july so good times. I did however get the pickguard screws finally so here's how she stands today:

I've yet to give it a finishing coat of wax because I can't afford the wax either :)