Why become a member? ×

Vigier Passion series III 5 string

ped

Hi folks,

I have had two Vigier basses for a long time now, one fretted and one fretless. I recently got this 5 string to add to my arsenal and for a long time the 4 string sat unplayed as I was over the moon with the 5. But - and this always happens - I went back to the 4 for a while after my ears had 'tuned out' of the sound of it and it confirmed yet again that the 4 is really 'me' and as kiwi said when we last met, I am really spoilt by it. It has seen of Alembics, Bossas, Bacchii, Pedulla, Marleaux - I always come back to it, and now it has 'seen off' its 5 stringed sister.

The bass is quite unique in how it is made. First of all the neck is 10% carbon and 90% maple. The carbon rods are 75% carbon so overall the neck is stronger than the graphite weave Vigier used to use. You also get the added benefits of the sounds from the maple. There is no truss rod so the neck is engineered with the 'textbook' amount of relief (A credit card thickness).

The pickups are two Benedetti single coils - extremely high output and very clear. The pre-amp is a rotary eq frequency selector and a cut/bypass/boost switch. There is a master volume and a tone control which affects only the bridge pickup. Those crazy French.

I have recorded some tracks with the bass already and it sounds superbly clear, fat and growly. I will add them here shortly, but you can also see/hear the bass in this youtube video which is a demo of a longer video I will be making shortly for Vigier: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WILDNiF6k38"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WILDNiF6k38[/url] and here are some [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=99&view=findpost&p=103896"]SOUND SAMPLES[/url]

I am looking for what I paid for her - 1500 Euros, so call it £1100. There is no original case for it but I can get a Vigier case sent over or supply details of where to get one if you wish, otherwise I have a warwick gig bag and will pack it very nicely indeed. Collection is preferred - I would love you to come and play it first, but I could also meet people halfway to do the deed. I would prefer to avoid postage if possible.

The spec is as follows:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Serial # - 086 - 23/04/1991
5 string Custom model - Maple/alder/Maple body

NECK
Neck through body, featuring the 10/90 Neck System™ (10% carbon with 90% naturally dried and aged maple wood).

FINGERBOARD
Phenowood

SCALE LENGTH
33.8 in / 860 mm

FRETS
21 + a zero fret (or as an option 24)

ACTION AS SUPPLIED AT
12th fret treble .0078 in / 2.0 mm
12th fret bass .0098 in / 2.5 mm

WIDTH OF NECK AT
nut 1.673 in / 42.5 mm
12th fret 2.441 in / 62 mm

DEPTH OF NECK AT
first fret .76 in / 19.5 mm
12th fret .945 in / 24.0 mm

STRING SPACING AT
nut 1.378 in / 35 mm
bridge 2.835 in / 72 mm •

MACHINE HEADS
by Schaller

BRIDGE
Kahler quick-release

STRINGS
I will include a brand new set of Elixir .040- .130's

BODY
Naturally dried and aged flamed maple, alder or walnut wood (natural walnut only)(1.57 in / 40 mm thick).

FINISH
Over 10 coats of varnish, 2 months drying time.

WEIGHT
Approx. 7.27 lbs./3.3Kg

ELECTRONIC CAVITY
Sprayed with a shielder.

ACTIVE CONTROLS
Volume
Pickup pan pot
Frequency pot
Cut/off/boost switch
Tone pot

PICKUPS
Twin single-coils by Bénédetti

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have attached the manual for the bass for details concerning bridge adjustment, electronics cutoff freq. etc. plus a four page review of the bass.
[attachment=6281:Passion_...nd_specs.doc]
[attachment=6282:Passion_s3_manual.doc]
[attachment=6286:vig_review.jpg]
[attachment=6283:vig_review_001.jpg]
[attachment=6284:vig_review_002.jpg]
[attachment=6285:vig_review_003.jpg]

Here are some piccies:

Surprised to see one of your Vigier basses for sale!

However, I've chatted with Chris a good few times about basses, and he has nothing but good things to say about his Vigiers! I'm sure whoever takes this off his hands will love it. It looks like a cracker!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Here are some sound samples of the bass, recorded through my pod on a fairly flat setting. I always use the pod to transmit the sound of the bass rather than change it in any way - the amp model is the GK 800RB and there is a touch of the (excellent) compression and reverb.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=99&view=findpost&p=103896"]SOUND SAMPLES[/url]

These basses really are incredible - evidenced by the fact that they have seen off literally everything else I have had. Excitingly different, beautifully made, advanced yet traditional, inspiring and head turning. And all for the same price as a hit or miss 70s Jazz!

Cheers
ped

P.s don't hesitate to ask for specific pictures, sound samples or a time to come and have a look.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='153463' date='Mar 8 2008, 01:18 AM']Surprised to see one of your Vigier basses for sale!

However, I've chatted with Chris a good few times about basses, and he has nothing but good things to say about his Vigiers! I'm sure whoever takes this off his hands will love it. It looks like a cracker![/quote]

+1.
Chris?
Hello, Chris?
What're you doing?!

Don't leave me all alone...

No. I'm not for sale!

I can vouch for how good these are (15 years on...), and can only hope Ped's chasing either a P4 (when they come out) or that VI that's knocking around on here!

Hello mate! Thought you might pop in ;0)

I may well be after a series 4 - been thinking about a white 5 string with anodised red logos but then I think if I do that then the series 2 will just win again and history will be repeated! I am so lucky to have found 'the one' relatively early I think. I want to concentrate on making music now, and possibly get a wireless IEM of my own sorted out so father can have his back!

Thanks for the positive comments. I will be a Vigier player until I die!

Cheers
ped

Ped, watched that vid bud, lovely tone. The tone really reminds me of Tom Kennedy's Fodera, but tighter and less woolly. Not that his tone is woolly, the Vigier just sounds a tad more defined.

Lovely bass too from the looks of it. Shame about the lack of a truss rod. Have you ever found Vigier's to shift?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the compliments. I wish I could play like Tom...

The lack of a truss rod apparently contributes to the sound of these basses. They are likened very often to Alembics and other very clear, defined and powerful instruments. I can't say I have much experience with any Foderas but can hear a likeness.

Patrice Vigier has never had a bass back to be repaired because of neck shift which is impressive. The construction is so good I would find it hard to imagine - the two rods must be incredibly strong. Vigier used to use 100% wooden necks with a brass laminate under the fingerboard which was also a winner apparently - I have seen one (currently at the Gallery) which was dead straight, and the one sold on by Eubassix was too apparently (Vmaxblues may have some comments)

As I mentioned it has the 'textbook' amount of relief in the neck, and obviously this is non adjustable. If you like it and feel comfortable then that really is a whole weight off your shoulders regarding neck issues. The frets are in fairly good nick for a bass that has been played a lot since 1991 - the last fret is a bit worn and the others show very slight wear but there is not a buzz anywhere to be found. The action is very low and smooth, and I really hope some people take me up on my offer and come and try it. It will be at both forthcoming bashes too.

Cheers and any questions/requests please ask!
ped

Incidentally the bass in the background of the guitar clips is an Alembic Elan 6 which is panned by the Vigier in every way, but they have similar tonal properties when recorded. I think the Benedetti pickups sound a lot like the Alembic AXY's

Cheers Luke

I am not really in a rush and would like people to play it beforehand so odds are it will be at the bash. Interested yourself? I noticed you were after a J5 recently - why not be a bit different? ;0)

Cheers
ped