Why become a member? ×

Pre EB Stingray

B.Flat

Im just trying to make sure I have this right then, The complete bass in the picture is a copy neck and copy body (Or is that a real body?) but with a real bridge fitted wrongly (In what way is it wrong, angle or position?), and EB electronics (Its at least mid 80's could be a lot later but the circuit is the same anyway). Seperately included is the 1978 neck in the pictures that has been on a four bolt body at some point. Is that right? Ta.

I have confused myself even more now :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1331084' date='Aug 7 2011, 05:17 PM']Im just trying to make sure I have this right then, The complete bass in the picture is a copy neck and copy body (Or is that a real body?) but with a real bridge fitted wrongly (In what way is it wrong, angle or position?), and EB electronics (Its at least mid 80's could be a lot later but the circuit is the same anyway). Seperately included is the 1978 neck in the pictures that has been on a four bolt body at some point. Is that right? Ta.

I have confused myself even more now :)[/quote]

Hi Pete,
you have understood exactly. Neck and body in photo are copy. The bridge is at the wrong angle. The bass plays perfectly but the strings verre slightly to the trebble side. The copy neck & body can easily be sorted with a top load bridge. With a Nordstrand p/u & a 2 band eq I think it would be a stunning piece. The birdseye maple neck is a super piece of maple.
See ya

[quote name='philio' post='1331088' date='Aug 7 2011, 05:21 PM']Hi. Would you consider selling the spare neck separately? Is it an original one? I'm looking for a pre EB neck for my stingray.
Thanks[/quote]

Hi Philio,
The only way I could sell the original '78 neck is for £400 + shipping. Even then I would have to think about it as, if I can't make a sale to finance my ongoing deal, I really think a new body would make it a keeper.
However still open for alternative offers/deals

[quote name='philio' post='1331088' date='Aug 7 2011, 05:21 PM']Hi. Would you consider selling the spare neck separately? Is it an original one? I'm looking for a pre EB neck for my stingray.
Thanks[/quote]

Hi Philio,
The only way I could sell the original '78 neck is for £400 + shipping. Even then I would have to think about it as, if I can't make a sale to finance my ongoing deal, I really think a new body would make it a keeper.
However still open for alternative offers/deals

[quote name='B.Flat' post='1327696' date='Aug 4 2011, 07:50 PM']Hello everybody, I have an offer here which may, or may not, be of interest.
Basically I have a 1978 STINGRAY for sale.
HOWEVER…….though all the original hardware is there, inc. pickup, in superb condition, the body and neck are not original. The bass was put together for me by a now deceased UK lutier, who unfortunately fitted the bridge incorrectly.
BUT…….I do have a 1978 Stingray neck, again in excellent condition. It is a three bolt neck that has been fitted to a four bolt body previously.
SO……..to clarify all this confusion what is on offrer is:-
All that is needed to make a ’78 Ray except a body.The preamp & pots are EB, early 80’s I think.
Then there is a spare neck (birdseye maple), a spare body ( swamp ash,which can easily be restored), a spare set of ’78 machineheads, a Hipshot D-Tuner, and a Gator case, all to sell or keep as is thought fit.

As I am in the thrall of ongoing deals I can only offer a firm price on this of 1050€, about £915 at todays rate. If I can’t get this I am going to get the restoration done.

Now, as I am resident in Brittany, I can mail or, if any subsequent buyer is prepared to wait a short time I can get the bass delivered for £25 with an expat haulier I know.(Unless you are in a far-flung place of course!)
I can answer any questions and take more picks if required.

Tanks for looking,

Abysinia[/quote]

BbuuuuuuuuuMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm.....P

[quote name='B.Flat' post='1327696' date='Aug 4 2011, 07:50 PM']NEW PICS ADDED

Hello everybody, I have an offer here which may, or may not, be of interest.
HOWEVER…….though all the original hardware is there, inc. pickup, in superb condition, the body and neck are not original. The bass was put together for me by a now deceased UK lutier, who unfortunately fitted the bridge incorrectly.
BUT…….I do have a 1978 Stingray neck, again in excellent condition. It is a three bolt neck that has been fitted to a four bolt body previously.
All that is needed to make a ’78 Ray except a body.The preamp & pots are EB, early 80’s I think.
Then there is a spare neck (birdseye maple), a spare body ( swamp ash,which can easily be restored), a spare set of ’78 machineheads, a Hipshot D-Tuner, and a Gator case, all to sell or keep as is thought fit.

As I am in the thrall of ongoing deals I can only offer a firm price on this of 1050€, about £915 at todays rate. If I can’t get this I am going to get the restoration done.

Now, as I am resident in Brittany, I can mail or, if any subsequent buyer is prepared to wait a short time I can get the bass delivered for £25 with an expat haulier I know.(Unless you are in a far-flung place of course!)

Tanks for looking,

Abysinia[/quote]

I feel a BUMP coming on !

[quote name='B.Flat' post='1327696' date='Aug 4 2011, 06:50 PM']NEW PICS ADDED

Tanks for looking,

Abysinia[/quote]

going up......... lingerie, mountaineering equipment,bass guitars.....BUMP

[quote name='B.Flat' post='1327696' date='Aug 4 2011, 06:50 PM']NEW PICS ADDED

[color="#FF0000"][size=6][size=4]PRICE DROP FOR THE NEXT TEN DAYS (i.e. up to Aug. 25th) ! I will accept £850 + shipping[/size][/size][/color]

Thanks for looking,

Abysinia[/quote]

BUMP

• 4 weeks later...

OK I am going to try to simplify ! Everything for an original '78 Stingray, less a body, plus a non-MM swamp ash body and a birds eye maple neck with tuners and a de-tuner. All with a gator case, some original MM catalogues, a 78 swing tag, a spare battery compartement cover, three nickel string retainers, and a partridge in a pear tree!

BUMP

[quote name='B.Flat' timestamp='1316531993' post='1379286']
OK I am going to try to simplify ! Everything for an original '78 Stingray, less a body, plus a non-MM swamp ash body and a birds eye maple neck with tuners and a de-tuner. All with a gator case, some original MM catalogues, a 78 swing tag, a spare battery compartement cover, three nickel string retainers, and a partridge in a pear tree!

BUMP
[/quote]

I think putting all of these parts together on one photo would make things a bit clearer...

Edited by Fatguy

How about splitting it all up? I'd like the swing tag and maybe the catalogues at the right price and I don't think that would affect your asking price for the rest anyway. Are all the tuners pre EB ones meaning you have 7 and a detuner? I might know someone who wants one tuner too which still leaves a full set and 2 other spares to sell on eBay. And what's the pickguard like? Ha I should buy it all and sell it off in bits myself :)

[quote name='B.Flat' timestamp='1316531993' post='1379286']
Everything for an original '78 Stingray, less a body, plus a non-MM swamp ash body and a birds eye maple neck with tuners and a de-tuner.
[/quote]

Excuse me for chiming in, but in the opening thread don't you say that even the preamp and pots are EB early '80s (you think....)?

I'll try to sum up the ID card of Frankestein here: the hardware and pickup from a certain '78 'Ray, fitted (not correctly, at least regarding the bridge) to a copy body, attached to a '78 neck coming from a different 'Ray (which now an idiot has buggered forever - at least in terms of value and collectability IMHO, although anybody may disagree - matching it with the wrong neck plate.....). Preamp and pots are EB, probably early'80s. Plus bits and pieces, some from the era (catalogues, hangtags,....) and some not (D-tuner), all with a non-original hardcase. No news (at least for now) about the originality of the pickguard.

Is that correct? If not, how about a classic list of what's available?

All the best with the sale, mate

Hi Pete,
there are eight tuners, original MM and one Hipshot d-tuner. Two battery compartment covers. Seven string retainers ( four chrome in the non orig. body + three nickel) Two string trees (one on each neck) Two t-rod bullets ( one on each neck) One original ex-MM factory head transfer, plus all the other orig hardware. Quite a bit of MM publicity '77/'78.
How do I PM.? I receive them but don't know how to send them ! I'm learning to live with Alzheimers,.....thank god I haven't got Alzheimers................