Why become a member? ×

Shuker "Pub/Stealth Bass" - An All Black 33" Jazz Bass

eude

Well I've just done gone and put down the deposit on my next Shuker Bass.
I wanted something a lot more understated than my lovely 6 string Single Cut and something that can provide a very different sonic palette.
The 6 string does modern, massive and aggressive very well, but I can't really get a nice traditional Jazz Bass tone.
Also in my band, I'm not really using all 6 strings to their full extent so could get away with a 4 string with occasional detuning of the E string to D.
I've gone for the 33" scale again too, as weirdly, 34" basses feel a bit big now!

I reckon this is one Shuker that [b]bass_ferret[/b] will approve of... :)

Anyway, here goes with the spec...

[b]4 string J Bass[/b]

NECK >>
33" scale
5 piece mahogany/wenge laminated neck
Slim profile, just like a regular Jazz Bass
Rosewood board
22 Medium frets
Two way truss rod
Carbon fibre reinforcement
White side dots only
Maple headstock veneer, sprayed black
Brass nut
Satin finish on neck (gloss headstock)
Shuker version of Fender style headstock i.e. 4 in line
String tree (possibly a bar one across all 4 strings to keep consistent break angle on all 4 strings)

BODY >>
Downsized J Bass shape (like Mike's recent J Bass)
Black walnut body
Polyester base coat
Black polyurethane wet look gloss
Slab finish (with slight radius on top but larger radius on rear like on my Single-Cut)
Rear Routed as the body won't have a scratch plate or a control plate
Control layout yet to be determined

GUBBINS >>
Black hardware
Individual bridge units
Standard Shuker Gotoh GB7 tuners (4 in line)
Sadowsky Style knobs (if we can get hold of them)
Side mounted jack
EMG JV pickups and electronics vol /vol /tone

Very very excited about this!
It's fairly simple so hopefully I'll have it for some of our summer gigs!

Any thoughts, comments, questions?

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='eude' post='155397' date='Mar 11 2008, 04:33 PM']Well I've just done gone and put down the deposit on my next Shuker Bass.

Very very excited about this!
It's fairly simple so hopefully I'll have it for some of our summer gigs!

Any thoughts, comments, questions?

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Yes, tell me about 33" scale and how it affects the sound and string tension? Do they move around more?

I thought I was satisfied with the guitars I have but this guy's reputation has got me curious.

[quote name='bremen' post='155405' date='Mar 11 2008, 04:40 PM']Yes, tell me about 33" scale and how it affects the sound and string tension? Do they move around more?[/quote]

Hey bud,
The 33" scale...
I don't really notice much difference, to be honest, in tension, which I imagine is down to the luthier involved in the manufacture of the bass.
It is probably slightly softer, however, I just upped my string gauges from 130-100-80-60-40-30 to 130-105-85-65-45-35 but moved to DR Sunbeams which are a bit softer than regular strings.
I chose that scale length to just make things that little bit more comfortable, as I ain't the biggest guy in the world.

One thing that is a bit different though, is the upper register of the bass on the higher strings sounds, at least to my ear, a bit sweeter, with the right touch it kinda swells a little bit like a fretless.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='155397' date='Mar 11 2008, 04:33 PM']I reckon this is one Shuker that [b]bass_ferret[/b] will approve of... :huh:
Eude[/quote]
Sure do. I like quite a lot of his basses to be honest - even Dood's; it's the only 7 string single cut I can bear to look at :) Si's P5 is pretty cool as well.

Cheers Guys,
I'm really looking forward to this one, well as I would with any custom bass I 'spose...
I guess you're right Si, it will kinda be a "pocket jazz" :) Hadn't thought of it like that, the aim is to create something very light though, but with a lot of low and warm mids, hence the Walnut body and the use of Mahogany in the neck.

Basically it's gonna be very similar in shape to this (Mike's recent J Bass) >>
[attachment=6358:shuker.jpg]

With the vibe of this (i.e the slab top and the all black everything) >>
[attachment=6359:valenti.jpg]

Work's not even started and the wait is already agonising, and yes this is Shukerholics Anonymous...
I'm gonna have to get one of those Shuker T-Shirts I reckon too

Cheers,
Eude

All sounds very cool. Now all you have to do is wait.....

I've played one bass with a 33" scale and it was hardly noticable against a 34". Wondered why I could get around it so quickly. I thought I was really playing well until someone told me it's scale length was shorter....

• 2 months later...

Tiny update.
The body is all shaped and being basecoated, should get a picture at le weekend.
It'll be all black and shiny next week, hopefully.
Then on to the neck!

Pics as soon as I get 'em :)

Getting excited and everything seems to be on schedule too, 'spose it's a pretty simple build compared to some of the more boutique basses coming out of Jon's work shop at the moment :huh:

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Finbar' post='204130' date='May 22 2008, 10:48 AM']I'll still try and get a couple pics for you when I'm up there - Jon's finishing date for my build just keeps slipping, so I ain't been to pick it up yet :huh:[/quote]

Awesome bud, most appreciated :)

[quote name='eude' post='204079' date='May 22 2008, 09:24 AM']Tiny update.
The body is all shaped and being basecoated, should get a picture at le weekend.
It'll be all black and shiny next week, hopefully.
Then on to the neck!

Pics as soon as I get 'em :)

Getting excited and everything seems to be on schedule too, 'spose it's a pretty simple build compared to some of the more boutique basses coming out of Jon's work shop at the moment :huh:

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

good stuff Eude "everything seems to be on schedule" that's got to be a first :huh:

Hey guys,
got some pics :)
Here's the body shaped, polyestered and flatted out.

[attachment=8971:Picture_510.jpg]

[attachment=8972:Picture_511.jpg]

It's getting sprayed black this morning too :huh:

Cheers,
Eude

Nice one and I can highly recommend the EMG JV's. I've put a set in my Jap Jazz and it was transformed. How are you having the tone control set?
I replaced the supplied cap with a big orange Sprague, as the EMG one made absolutely no difference in tone.
Mmmmm, gassin' for a black bass now. :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='205935' date='May 25 2008, 01:04 PM']Nice one and I can highly recommend the EMG JV's. I've put a set in my Jap Jazz and it was transformed. How are you having the tone control set?
I replaced the supplied cap with a big orange Sprague, as the EMG one made absolutely no difference in tone.
Mmmmm, gassin' for a black bass now. :huh:[/quote]

Nice one Steve,
I'm really excited about them. Really wanted something that sounded quite different from the EMG DCs in my 6 string, for a bit of vintage variety :)
I hadn't thought about changing the control set up, was just gonna go with the stock stuff, I'll maybe talk to Jon about other options then...
I have an EMG DC with the stock vol/tone setup on a bass I built myself and I never found a problem with it, however I always run it wide open :huh:
I do want to keep it simple though, vol/vol/tone (probably) as I might fancy swapping back to passive at some point.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='lee4' post='205952' date='May 25 2008, 01:27 PM']Great design.
I looked at the Shuker site last night and my wallet needed CPR![/quote]

I know what you mean, it's scary, I'm already planning my 3rd one at the moment!

Eude

OK guys,
more pics, as Jon promised :)

It's all black now, just the neck to go now.

[attachment=9002:DSCN4686.jpg]

[attachment=9003:DSCN4687.jpg]

I think I've just done a little wee...

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='206249' date='May 25 2008, 10:52 PM']oooooo looking good eude!, how long until its finished?[/quote]

Hey man, thanks :)
I don't have an ETA as yet, but it's been a little over 2 months since I put the deposit down.
Jon said it'd take less than 4 months, as it's a real simple build, but I thought it'd be safer to take that as, "it'll take about 4 months".
As far as I know, he's not started the neck yet, I think he did the body first on this to coincide the spraying with all the other jobs he's got on you see.

I'm not gonna push Jon for a delivery date, at least I'm trying not too, as I know he's uber-busy and I'm not in a crazy rush for the bass, however if I could have it tomorrow I'd be stupid happy!
How about you, you got an ETA yet on yours?

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='206357' date='May 26 2008, 09:25 AM']Hey man, thanks :)
I don't have an ETA as yet, but it's been a little over 2 months since I put the deposit down.
Jon said it'd take less than 4 months, as it's a real simple build, but I thought it'd be safer to take that as, "it'll take about 4 months".
As far as I know, he's not started the neck yet, I think he did the body first on this to coincide the spraying with all the other jobs he's got on you see.

I'm not gonna push Jon for a delivery date, at least I'm trying not too, as I know he's uber-busy and I'm not in a crazy rush for the bass, however if I could have it tomorrow I'd be stupid happy!
How about you, you got an ETA yet on yours?

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Na same here no ETA but it looks like its on course for Jon's Orig estimate

Can't go wrong with black, goes with any outfit you care to wear.

[quote name='eude' post='206117' date='May 25 2008, 07:28 PM']I think I've just done a little wee...[/quote]

I hate to think what you're going to be like when you see the finished article !!