Why become a member? ×

NBD: Warwick Corvette $$ 5 SE

dc2009

So I actually picked the bass up on Thursday, but was going round the houses up north until I got back home and collapsed yesterday evening (never taking a megabus again).

I bought this bass off Antonio, our very own fiatcoupe, who picked me up from the station, entertained me in fine style with some Alan Caron (sp?), some great bass gossip and even better bass playing! I even had a go on his GWB-35 which was a fantastic thing.

It features the standard $$ 5 MEC electronics, 2 band eq with vol and blend, and two MEC buckers that can be independently humbucking in series, parallel or be set as a single coil 'J' pup.

The special edition nature of this bass is in the wood selection. The standard ash body remains, which is light and produces a great sound. It is topped with a birdseye poplar top, with matched headstock, separated from the body by an ekanga stripe. The fretboard is birdseye maple, with the neck being a 4 piece birdseye maple which has a flamed look to it.

Highly figured, absolutely beautiful, tonally versatile, and I lack the superlatives to describe how well it plays. The sound is as clear as an all-graphite Status, but with the warmth of something wooden :)

They made 7 4-string versions of these and only 4 of these 5-string models, this being the third of those four, hence the number 10 on the headstock. These retailed at £2300 back in October 2007, and this one is in mint condition, so I feel I got something of a steal!

[b]These photos are Antonio's original ones from the FS thread. I took some photos today and you can now see them a few posts down.[/b]

Cheers for looking,
Dan

Edited by dc2009

Each to their own, Charic. I loved that blue one, but I've had a lusting for a maple fretboarded bass for a long long while, and IMO birdseye maple is the cream of the crop when it comes to maple! Just something a bit different, and it plays just as beautifully as my old one.

MY god i miss this all ready very very very much!after owning some great instrument , i have to say that this was one of my favourite .the birdseye maple fretboard got some searius ATTACK! the bass sounds beautiful and play amazing and really easy without any effort.
please my friend take care of her!!!!!!!!!otherwise il come and cick your ass!!!(ahahahahh)

MY god i miss this all ready very very very much!after owning some great instrument , i have to say that this was one of my favourite .the birdseye maple fretboard got some searius ATTACK! the bass sounds beautiful and play amazing and really easy without any effort.
please my friend take care of her!!!!!!!!!otherwise il come and cick your ass!!!(ahahahahh)

[quote name='charic' post='1363725' date='Sep 6 2011, 08:06 AM']Definately understand the maple fretboard syndrom (may well have complimented the blue one nicely).

Don't get me wrong, I love both but I have serious GAS for a blue flame maple Shuker atm and yours was pretty close :lol:[/quote]

If I could've kept both, believe me I would've done so :)

That Shuker does sound lovely too.

I think Antonio misses it too :) And don't worry man I'm taking good care of her. She's living in the hardcase, which I've had to make room for in my bedroom as she's getting played all the hours I have! Sounded fantastic at an acoustic gig I did the other night, got another one tonight I've just remembered, where I'm sure she'll steal the show again.