Why become a member? ×

Super Silvers tension?

TheRev

Hi Daf,

I don't suppose you have access to any specific information regarding the tension of the silver slaps?

My new bass came with TI superflexibles which are a pig for pizz (though lovely under the bow) and I suspect are too high a tension for a 50s bass as it sounds a bit choked.

I'm leaning towards a set of Velvet blues for it (I already have Velvet Garbos on my Eminence and realy love the feel and sound) but if the super silvers are close in tension (25kg/55lbs) than I'll be tempted to give them a try.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,
I spoke to Tony at the factory only a few days ago about this and unfortunately they don't have the means to test the tensions, so I have no figures for you I'm afraid.
However, I've been involved in a discussion about tensions on double bass chat and it would appear that the stop length has a larger effect on some of the Innovation strings (probably because of the core) than other makes - it seems that for stops longer than about 41.5 inch the tension starts to crank up quite quickly (this also seems more noticeable on the E and A)...
What is the stop on your bass?

The Velvets have a really nice 25kg/55lb tension on all four strings but without any floppyness and really good articulation on the E. All four string are practically the same diameter, which means a very thick G string. Some people find this ofputting, but I've grown to quite like it.

I know it's more about feel than the numbers, but I've enjoyed my Velvet Garbos so much that I'd like to use a set that match as closely as possible - but without the £250 price tag!

Hmm. I think I'll go with what I know on this occasion and buy a set of Velvet Blues and keep an eye out for a secondhand set of Silvers or Honeys for comparison later on.