Why become a member? ×

For sale: MTD Grendel 5 (signed by Chuck Rainey and Bobby Vega)

Gwilym

Kind of a feeler, as I'm trying to decide whether I should sell or not. That said...

I picked this up on ebay a few months ago from the US of A. It's a late model MTD Grendel 5 that was actually completed/assembled by Michael Tobias from parts that were left over when production stopped in the Czech Republic. The original owner bought it direct from Michael Tobias. The original owner (who I managed to contact on another bass forum) had the original pickups/electronics upgraded to US Bartolinis, in effect giving the same control layout as the US MTD's, but additionally allowing active/passive. Although "similar" the pre is not the same as found in the US MTDs.
The original owner also had the bass signed (on the back of the neck) by Chuck Rainey and Bobby Vega (at some bass clinic). It's kind of nice! :)

Not sure what the body wood is maple or ash i think, with some nice flaming/grain visible through the finish.
The neck is maple with an ebony finger board.
35" scale on this one (some Grendels were 34" I believe.
Vol (active/passive), pan, stacked bass/treble, mid 3-way frequency switch, mid.
24 frets asymmetrically shaped neck.
Currently set up with a low action, and plays beautifully.
Condition is very good.
Very nice solid B
Could do with new strings, I've just put on an old set of DR's (lo-riders I think) on it.

Sound wise, a very even, punchy warm tone. In fact, I would compare it to the sound of my ash/maple 535, but with less of the bright/full range top end that they can have.

(If you're worried about the signatures rubbing off, they are behind the 15th fret, so unless you're doing some dusting up there, they won't get in the way).

Grendels have a very good reputation - this is the first one I've had, and it does not disappoint. In fact, I'd be more than happy if this was the only bass I had. But we all know it doesn't work like that :D

Anyway, I'm asking £700 for it collected (from West London). I shipped a bass recently in the UK for £30, so £730 shipped in the UK. Absolutely no trades thanks. I'm looking to recoup some cash towards another purchase I already made.

[url="https://picasaweb.google.com/109910182563338742532/Grendel?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCN-8xua7s_q0Ag&feat=directlink"]Photos here[/url]

Thanks!
G

Edited by Gwilym

Cool story!

Aren't these the MTD basses as used by Gail Ann Dorsey? I had two MTDs some years back and I've also owned a pre-Gibson Tobias and they were all so easy to play...and sounded great too.

Seems like a fair price for a quality 5 string and Gwilym is a very good person to deal with.

Best of luck with the sale!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1327670890' post='1515111']
Cool story!

Aren't these the MTD basses as used by Gail Ann Dorsey? I had two MTDs some years back and I've also owned a pre-Gibson Tobias and they were all so easy to play...and sounded great too.

Seems like a fair price for a quality 5 string and Gwilym is a very good person to deal with.

Best of luck with the sale!
[/quote]

thanks Nik!
I didn't know about GAD, but a quick Google bought up a picture of her holding a Grendel 4 stringer, while playing tug o' war with a dog!

I think the early Grendels had "Grendel" on the headstock (as in the picture) and were also 34" scale.

Having re-read my first post, I just wanted to also clarify that the upgrade to the US Bart pre and pups was done after the bass was originally bought (so not by MT).

Cheers
G

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1327711983' post='1515910']
Can you tell me the neck width at the nut; the string spacing at the bridge and a little more about the neck profile please? :)
[/quote]

hello Hamster,

Nut width is 1 7/8 in / 46.5mm
String spacing at the bridge is 19mm
Neck depth at the 1st fret is about 18mm

The neck is the proprietary asymmetrical MTD type, so slighly thinner towards the G side than the B. I'd say it's a medium wide, and slim front to back. I find it very comfortable.

Thanks
G

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...