Why become a member? ×

Emerson bass wiring kits? anyone used one?

mojobass

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emerson-LuXe-Upgrade-Wiring-Fender-Jazz-J-Bass-/250947936193?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a6da99fc1"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emerson-LuXe-Upgrade-Wiring-Fender-Jazz-J-Bass-/250947936193?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a6da99fc1[/url]

spotted these on ebay and just wondered if anyone has bought/installed one? I'm looking at chnaging the stock wiring in a coulpe of basses and quite like the look of these kits but thought i'd see if anyone has any input before buying!??

• 5 years later...

Unless you have a complicated active bass, wiring is incredibly simple. You could do a J Bass for a great deal less than it costs to buy a kit. Three CTS pots, a capacitor, a Switchcraft socket and some decent cable is not going to cost you more than about £15. As long as you can solder,  you're away.

Just now, Dan Dare said:

Unless you have a complicated active bass, wiring is incredibly simple. You could do a J Bass for a great deal less than it costs to buy a kit. Three CTS pots, a capacitor, a Switchcraft socket and some decent cable is not going to cost you more than about £15. Plenty of diagrams on the 'net. As long as you can solder,  you're away.

12 hours ago, tonyclaret said:

Google "Jazz bass wiring" and you'll find diagrams. Any of the online guitar parts suppliers can provide the pots (you need 250k), cap, etc. The standard J bass cap is a Sprague orange drop, in 0.047uF. You can experiment with values (try 0.022uf or 0.1uf - they're cheap) to see which you prefer. A larger value will lower the roll-off frequency. Shop around as prices vary quite a bit and don't be tempted by the exotic paper in oil capacitors some will try to tell you are vital. They're no better  (and considerably bulkier) than the orange drop for guitar use (imho, obviously).

9 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Google "Jazz bass wiring" and you'll find diagrams. Any of the online guitar parts suppliers can provide the pots (you need 250k), cap, etc. The standard J bass cap is a Sprague orange drop, in 0.047uF. You can experiment with values (try 0.022uf or 0.1uf - they're cheap) to see which you prefer. A larger value will lower the roll-off frequency. Shop around as prices vary quite a bit and don't be tempted by the exotic paper in oil capacitors some will try to tell you are vital. They're no better  (and considerably bulkier) than the orange drop for guitar use (imho, obviously).

So something like this?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F281730041346

are Cts pots much of a muchness? Or should I be looking for specific brands?

cheers

CTS is a brand and that kit is everything you need to re-wire a Jazz with quality components. Looks like they even give you a wiring diagram. Or you could always contact Ki0gon of this very parish as this is exactly what he does but as a "no solder" kit. Everything pre-wired, just insert pickup wires i the screw terminals.

23 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

CTS is a brand and that kit is everything you need to re-wire a Jazz with quality components. Looks like they even give you a wiring diagram. Or you could always contact Ki0gon of this very parish as this is exactly what he does but as a "no solder" kit. Everything pre-wired, just insert pickup wires i the screw terminals.

Another recommendation for @KiOgon if you lack soldering skills.

Ki0gons solderless looms are more or less idiot proof.

I have the technical  skills of a drunk koala and managed to install mine in about 10 minutes.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1