Why become a member? ×

Slaphappy's Geddy Lee Condensed.

slaphappygarry

This is a thread carried over from the old forum. Its a build diary of my Fender Geddy Lee bass and what i did to it. This is how it started:

I stripped the Bass down into all its seperate parts before sanding the body. This also shows how it all started out:

The Body:

And some of the bass.... as it was originaly:

G

Day two of sanding. By this point i had gone through twice as much sand paper as i had intended. The laquer was really thick.

The horns are also getting there but will require another hours work to get them perfect:

And the back is still a long way off (actually lost patience today and drew a picture on it, seemed a pretty good time to stop that day):

G

And some before and after shots:

The john east is awesome. The tonal flexability is massive. Literally a tweak on the eq makes a massive differance and full boosts are insane. The nice thing is the passive switch which returns the bass to exactly how it souded when it leaft the factory.

The finnish is perfect and exactly how i wanted it to turn out. Nice touches are the d-tuner and new neck plate. The action was almost perfect right after assembly which was odd considering the necks been off for 2 weeks. The neck will need a few very minor tweak over the next few weeks but all in all i am delighted with the end results.

Cheers for all the help and support everyone.

Garry

• 5 months later...

There were a couple of points in there that made me think 'uhhhnnnnn, please no....' but i concur with the above posts, you done good there :) the satin-like finish is making me think about grabbing a highway 1 bass and giving it some modding.

How is the J-retro working out for you? I do find the bonus of having a quality onboard eq quite appealing, but I have to remind myself that whenever I DO have a bass with an onboard eq I hate using it and much prefer setting it to flat and doing eqing at the amp... ugh, honestly, instruments *throws hands up in despair*

Props on a great looking GL bud!

Mark

The John East stays pretty much flat (sometimes little boost in treb, sometimes little boost in bass depending on amp). The nice thing is the sweep between the two pups which is a nice feature.

In all, a massive improvement over just the passive Geddy. Infact, I may just be believing in nothing BUT i think the passive through the East is better than the stock passive sound on the Fender electronics.

G

I actually shoved some Model J's in and raised the pickups to juuuust under the height that would cause warbling and choking. Since coming back to it it's the reason I'm selling on the Smith. I may check out a J-Retro, a new mod almost qualifies as a new bass!

Mark

• 1 year later...