Why become a member? ×

Any D'Addario Phospor Bronze users in the house?

Big_Stu

I've just had my Washburn Electro/Ac returned to me over the w/e after being on loan. The 1st E is bust & the spare from it's gig bag has been tried and bust too.
Just bought a new set as the only nearby shop didn't have any singles & the E appears to be steel/nickel rather than bronze; can any users confirm this so I can just rob one off one of my electric's spare sets?

Pete's right, though you may find the formulation is different, both tonally and in terms of stiffness.

FWIW I've used a full electric set on acoustic, and TBH it sounds no worse than 'official' acoustic strings and significantly better than some acoustic sets (Takamine did some terrible strings a few years back).

I might try that with the next full change. It's one of the early Washburns, about the same depth as a Tele with some kind of composite/ceramic seal around the inside of the soundhole. It has very little acoustic volume, so it's good for quiet practise but really has to be amplified. It's useless for an unplugged gig - I tried.

Good strings. Value-for-money. I used to own a 1935 Gibson L-00. Especially using a .049 low E as a substitute for the E on other light tension sets, it had great tone, feel, tuning stability and longitivity. I preferred it, on that guitar, to other named sets, including DR "Rare" phosphor bronze, even though I used the A, D & G strings of that set on that guitar.

It is really phosphor bronze. If it has a light colour, like a steel guitar string, it's because that the phosphor and tin used in the alloy for the wrap wire will lighten the colour.

Edited by iiipopes