Why become a member? ×

Thumb picks

Beer of the Bass

I've been getting into playing acoustic with a thumb pick, but I can't find quite the right one. Dunlop mediums make the end of my thumb go purple, Dunlop larges slip around and the pick is too long on both of them. Filing the pick part shorter helps a little, but I'd be interested to hear what anyone else uses. Are the perfect thumb picks out there?

I've tried dozens of brands and types over the years... I use them on acoustic and also pedal steel and lap steel.

Had endless trouble with slipping, discomfort, etc, etc. Finally found a massive display box of different types at a stall run by Hobgoblin Music at some festival. I sat there popping them on and off for ages (the bloke was convinced I was trying to pinch some). Ended up buying quite a few for even MORE extended tests.

Finally found 'em... Fred Kelly Slick Picks, medium gauge. Solid-colour Delrin material best with the Kellys, IMO... transparent polycarb more prone to breakage.

Good luck, it's amazing when you find the right ones for you.

(Oh, and once you've found your picks, you might save a fair bit ordering a bunch from Elderly in the US... UK prices are nuts).

Edited by KK Jale

Cheers for the thoughts. I'll see if any local shops have more than just the Dunlops. Buying online is a bit of a pain while I'm still trying to find the right one, as don't want to buy them in quantity before I've tried them on. I'm not sure if I fancy trying Dave's reshaping trick on the ones I've got, as they're the celluloid tortoiseshell sort which are really impressively flammable, but I might experiment with dunking them in hot water instead.