Why become a member? ×

Musicman SUB bass project - 2012 update, actual progress!!

budget bassist

So i finally got the body and bits. I should have everything i need now apart from pickup screws and foam which should be arriving tomorrow and pickguard screws .

Basically what i have here is the SUB bass body routed for a neck humbucker, an OLP neck with black tuners, some cheap chrome tuners i may or may not fit, depending whether they fit or not, an OLP control plate, a status MM pickup, an OLP MM pickup, a seymour duncan basslines pickup, a cheapo bridge i got off the bay and some screws and bits.

First thing's first i'm going to start getting the extra holes in the neck drilled.

Edited by budget bassist

I checked, it wont fit in the middle :)

Haha nah, the OLP pickup came with the neck and control plate, eventually i'm going to get a chrome control plate and stuff too, i was mainly after the neck on that one. I'm not sure if i'll use the OLP pickup, i know i want to sue the basslines pickup, but not too sure about the OLP or status... the OLP one is a bit too fat to fit though without deepening the pickup route a bit.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='277085' date='Sep 4 2008, 03:24 PM']I checked, it wont fit in the middle :)

Haha nah, the OLP pickup came with the neck and control plate, eventually i'm going to get a chrome control plate and stuff too, i was mainly after the neck on that one. I'm not sure if i'll use the OLP pickup, i know i want to sue the basslines pickup, but not too sure about the OLP or status... the OLP one is a bit too fat to fit though without deepening the pickup route a bit.[/quote]

ahh, fair enough! I'vce got a few projects on the go (who doesn't!) and one of which I'm gonna have a shitload of pups wired directly to each other and straight to the jack so I can have just a mad, fat noise with no dials at all :huh: could be a good look for your SUB!

Will you be gettin this SUB to sound more like a sterling than a 'ray, what with the extra pup?

I'm not sure to be honest, it'll sound how it sounds i suppose! I'm only going to bother with the two pickups though.

Also after mounting the bridge and using some thin pieces of wire to see if it's all lined up properly, i've noticed that all the grooves on the bridge saddles are in entirely the wrong place. I'm wondering if it's worth moving the bridge to the left a bit like a flea bridge, or whether it's sensible to use a saw and/or file to cu some new grooves slightly left of the current ones?

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='277120' date='Sep 4 2008, 03:50 PM']I'm not sure to be honest, it'll sound how it sounds i suppose! I'm only going to bother with the two pickups though.

Also after mounting the bridge and using some thin pieces of wire to see if it's all lined up properly, i've noticed that all the grooves on the bridge saddles are in entirely the wrong place. I'm wondering if it's worth moving the bridge to the left a bit like a flea bridge, or whether it's sensible to use a saw and/or file to cu some new grooves slightly left of the current ones?[/quote]

are the saddles the little barrels with a hole drilled in the middle of 'em for the intonation screw?

If the groove's on the wrong side of the screw (aka to the right of the screw and they need to be on the left), could you take 'em off and flip 'em round?

does that make sense.. :) ?

*edit* if not, get a decent circular file of approximately the right gauge and do another groove in 'em. As long as you smooth any rough edges off, it shouldn't cause any problems, right?

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='277163' date='Sep 4 2008, 04:22 PM']Yeah it's those barrel saddles, the groove is on the right side of the screw, but just not far enough, and that's what i thought, as long as they fit and there aren't any sharp edges it shouldn't cause a problem.[/quote]

I'd give it a go...should be fiiiiine! :)

Haha, yeah, well the bridge only cost me £6 or so and i can always buy new saddles i guess.

Also got the neck on, was a pretty good fit. I had to drill 6 new holes because the top two were slightly out and i filled them with matchsticks and re-drilled. The middle hole, SUB basses come with those holes there and i think someone has just routed it so that the ferrules fit, not sure why, because you'd be screwing into the truss rod. Also someone before me had rouetd it for those ferrules, not me. I also plan on getting some nail varnish to go over where the paint has chipped (well, getting my sister to get it for me!)

Regarding the bridge, i have it fitted, but the allen bolts that came with it don't fit the metal inserts on the body, do you think the 3 screws will be alright on their own or would i be better off finding a bolt that fits the metal inserts, or removing the original metal inserts and putting in the new ones that came with the bridge and if so how would i go about it?

EDIT: oh and i have the control plate on but only by one screw at either end because most of the screw holes don't line up and i'd rather not drill too many holes for it if i'm going to end up getting another one that may potentially use different screw holes.

Edited by budget bassist

Thanks, and i shall do!

Also i have a slight problem. As i mentioned earlier, the strings don't align with the pole pieces on the pickup properly, but i'm wondering if it will still pick it up and how well. Do you reckon i can leave it as it is or will i need to adjust something? As you can see if seems to align with the bottom two alright, but not with the top two.

The string alignment looks fine to me, and my ray actually looks a bit like that. The sound quality shouldn't be affected.

I'm not sure how you would adjust it, but it would LOOK nicer if it aligned perfectly. I'm sure someone else will chime in...

Edited by Duarte

oooh this looks good! which seymour duncan you gone for, the ceramic or the alnico? my taitycasters got the ceramic with the seymour duncan 2 band tone circuit, and it sounds bloody good.

oh, and definatly stick to the black tuners, since you've got a black control plate, black headstock and black pearl (or abalone? cant really see) pickguard. needs a black bridge though (if you can get them?)

EDIT: oh, and it SHOULD pick up just the same with the strings not aligned with the pole pieces as if they were, i think.

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='277084' date='Sep 4 2008, 03:20 PM']soooo, where you gonna put the third pup? :)

ooooh, you could go all Bootsy and have 'em just CRAMMED in there![/quote]

a jazz pup would fit between them no problem!!! maybe even a p pup? that'd be interesting... :huh:

Hey Sam. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.
FWIW the strings on my S.U.B. are pretty well aligned with the poles.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bass-Guitar-Bridge-Musicman-Style-Chrome_W0QQitemZ170257664540QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170257664540&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]This[/url] bridge of the bay has the groove slightly further over. It's a big old pre-Flea but you could just use the E and A saddles off it, it's only a tenner.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='278147' date='Sep 5 2008, 07:30 PM']I can't remember to be honest! Alemboid sold it me, if you're reading this what is it?

Also i don't like black hardware so i'm getting a chrome control plate and tuners ASAP[/quote]

Ah! That's a ceramic one. I have the alnico SD stingray pickup on my something-ray. Both are very good, if slightly different sounding.

B.

Also, i ordered the pickup screws and foam on wednesday, supposed to be coming first class, still not here!!!! Gah, royal mail suck, i've got to wait until monday now...

Still trying to find a solution to the bridge anchors too, i think i'm going to try and find a similar looking bolt that fits rather than take out the old metal inserts and put in the new ones.

Edited by budget bassist