Why become a member? ×

New valves = what a difference!

bassbiscuits

My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe was playing up with some cutting out/cracking noises when i was playing.

Turned out to be some dry solder joints, which my local repair guy fixed. But in the process of elimination getting there, and while the amp was opened up anyway, we agreed to pop in the whole set of new JJ valves I'd got for good measure, as the old ones had been in for at least 10 years.

Gigged it on Saturday night and whoa! It sounded brilliant - much clearer and open sounding.

Chuffed.

I'm reasonably inexperienced in the ways of guitar valve amps, being mainly a bassist and only more recently gigging regularly on guitar as well.

So apologies if my post is stating the blindly obvious - I expected it to sound better, but it really has just woken it up. :D

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for JJs....a good solid reliable valve that does 90%+ of anything your ultra rare vintage NOS valves can do for at most 50% of the price

I do like an occasional high-end NOS treat though! JAN Philips, GEC and Mazda are my favourites when prepared to spend a good bit more.

I re-valved my Hot Rod when I had one (I forget with what) it was definitely a little smoother with the replacement power valves. However, the really big improvement was when I replaced the speaker with a Jensen C12.