Why become a member? ×

How about using Little Bastard cabs on synths and keyboard amps

BassTractor

I was thinking of connecting synths to a stereo keyboard amp, and using my two Ashdown Little Bastard LB-112 cabs as stereo speakers.
This is just for in the living room.

Is there any way to predict some of the outcome?

These LB-112 cabs are equipped with neodymium drivers, and they seemed to me to be quite capable as to transient response.
At the same time, I don't know how such cabs are being designed, and whether they are limited in bandwidth and/or may have some type of tuning to them that makes them less desirable for synth use.

Anyone who can enlighten me a little? I can't borrow a keyboard amp to just try it out.
Alternatively, would it be a good idea to connect a synth to my Genz Benz GBE 750 for trying the speakers? I'd expect its input to be able to handle the signal.

Thanks!

The best thing to do is try it. Just make sure your Ω are good for the amp.

If it was a guitar rig you was using, I'd say play lightly with the left, but bass gear usually covers the same frequency range as PA.
I used my MarkBass as church PA a few times. Playing guitar, bass & edrums through it as well as music from mp3s.

Thanks for that, Graeme. My problem is that I can't try it right now (I can't borrow a keyboards amp), and must make a quick decision on selling or not selling the LB cabs, as someone wants them as part of another deal.
Also, I don't know enough about the GBE to be able to predict how well it teaches me what these cabs would sound like when driven by a keyboard amp.

Ah well, a wrong decision will not kill me. I may have to just jump and then see in what country I land.

best,
bert