Why become a member? ×

Old Hiwatt Cab

butlerk02

Hi Guys,

Haven't posted anything in a long time. Was just wondering if any of you might know more about this Cab I've just taken hold of.

I think it's a 1973 SE 4122 cab, but I'm not sure if the speakers are originals.

Here are some pics for you to have a look at.

Also, if anyone has an idea of the value, i'd appreciate the feedback.

[attachment=222358:IMG_20160622_205358.jpg]

[attachment=222359:20160626_232534.jpg]

[attachment=222360:20160626_232615.jpg]

Cheers

There should be a date on the speakers which should match the dating codes on the celestion site : [url="http://celestion.com/speakerworld/guitartech/50/Understanding_Driver_Date_Codes/"]http://celestion.com/speakerworld/guitartech/50/Understanding_Driver_Date_Codes/[/url]

I have a feeling the G12/50 was early 80s but I might be wrong.

Andy B)

[quote name='butlerk02' timestamp='1467039688' post='3080676']...not sure if the speakers are originals...
[/quote]

I would expect to see Hiwatt Fanes in there. I've never seen an original Hiwatt cab with Celestions like that, and the cabling looks to be very much more flimsy than Hiwatt's. All is possible, of course, but I'd doubt originality.

Sorry, should have mentioned. The code on the speakers are T2238. These seems to date back to 1973 I think. From looking on the net, it looks like Fanes should be in there, but I've also been told that HIWATT used to put in what ever they had at the time.

Any idea on a valuation at all chaps?

Standard Hiwatt would be Fanes, but they would fit other speakers on request for some customers. Celestions were not the first choice, but would please some Marshall-oriented folks a bit more. As for value, it's about as valuable as any vintage 4 x 12; nothing really 'collector' about it. With vintage Fanes it would probably fetch about three times more.
Check the impedance, as these cabs were often wired as 16 ohms.

The plus is you have a well built cab made from quality birch ply. Used at sensible volume it will withstand heavy road use and last a lifetime. Added bonus, they also look very good with a DR103 or DR201 on the top :)

[quote name='butlerk02' timestamp='1467061456' post='3080951']
OK. Thanks guys.

Still no idea how much to sell it for :)
[/quote]

Difficult one :( May be worth more split up just to throw complexity into it, what are G12/50s worth on ebay? Greenbacks (the 25w?) seem to fetch staggering money, I remember building a pa using them circa 1974. They were cheap and worked well in a low power (miniscule by today) band.

[quote name='butlerk02' timestamp='1467061456' post='3080951']
OK. Thanks guys.

Still no idea how much to sell it for :)
[/quote]

A very quick search on Ebay UK shows me one similar to yours (G12/75's...) which sold for around £250, and another newish-looking one with unspecified Celestions, in Spain, sold for £715. I'd put yours in between, probably more towards the lower figure; it then depends on how urgent a sale you need, whether you can ship (they're quite popular in the States...) and how much, if anything, you want to get as 'profit' from the cab. We don't know what you paid for it, of course, which may influence your costing.