Why become a member? ×

Tenor Guitars.

NancyJohnson

Mullet warning.

Not withstanding that this was Hall and Oates arguably at the top of their game [i]and [/i]on home turf, the first three tracks (well for me at least), still blow me away after 25+ years. This still makes me feel warm and fuzzy, despite not really being a fan of this musical genre, they just do it so well. It's the classic lineup too, T-Bone on bass and G E Smith on guitar. Daryl Hall's tenor guitar appears at around the seven minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRTTES4BZ04

I bought an Eastwood Warren Ellis on ebay recently. I was very pleased to get it for £240 (+£15p/p).

Its the single pickup version in translucent cherry. I already play ukulele so I was always going to set it up like a tenor uke with low G. Coincidently the previous owner had already set it up with ukulele tuning but the setup was pretty bad with far too much tension on the strings. I worked out the string tensions and put on some plain strings for (G C E A) uke tuning: 008, 011, 014, 018, gave it a full set up and it is now absolutely perfect. I'm very impressed with the Eastwood build quality.

I've liked Tenor guitars since seeing Seth Lakeman use them.
Great sound, in the right hands, of course

I haven't got one (I recently bought a Bouzouki - so I need to learn how to play that!) But I did fancy trying Tenor guitar. A pal loaned me an Ozark TG for a few weeks, earlier in the year. It wasn't expensive (sub £200 I think), but I thought it looked to be great construction (came with a nice hard case too) and the sound and finish on it was lovely.

Go on, treat yourself to one :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1474394742' post='3137695']
Love 'em. I had this Fylde for a while, which was a lovely thing. Sold it to fund a bass :(

[/quote]

Given the current price of a Fylde Tenor it must have been one hell of a bass :)

One of the great things about a Tenor is that you can tune them almost anyway you want. Mine varies from GDAE (mandolin tuning for tunes) to open A (A,C#,E,A) so I can use five string banjo chords. DADG is also fun.