Why become a member? ×

FEELER: VINTAGE HIWATT CUSTOM 100

Cabal

First up, this is just a feeler. I'm not intending to sell this amplifier at this time. I can't find another for sale on eBay or anywhere else at the moment, so i'm wondering what its potentially worth. I guess if it turns out to be worth "enough" i'd consider parting with it, but "enough" would have to be sufficient to buy a sh*t-load of other stuff. :-)

Anyway, we're talking about a vintage Hiwatt Custom 100. Sorry i can't be exact about the year of manufacture, because the serial number plate on the back has always been missing. I bought it second hand in 1984. I realise the precise age is no small detail, because the actual year of manufacture could be anywhere between 1968 - 1984. What i can say however, is that it originally had an old style round mains lead input, which has since been replaced with the standard kettle lead type.

The back of the amp is as shown in this pic, dated 1974: [url="http://members.tripod.com/~dcsbulldog/index-79.html"]http://members.tripod.com/~dcsbulldog/index-79.html[/url]

If anyone knows of any telling signs to suss out its age some other way, please tell. For the purposes of a feeler, just assume its a mid 70's model.

Its in excellent condition and good working order. Hardly a mark on it because i had a custom flight case made which its stayed in at all times, even on stage. It hasn't been used now in many years, so it does have a bit of a dust crackle. The valves were relatively new when it was last used.

Like i said, i'm just looking to get some feedback at this stage.

Cheers,

Jake M

Edited by Jake_M

I used to use a custom head like this - was a guitar head (at least it belonged to a guitarist) and was f*cking brilliant.

Was well before I knew anything about amps and what they were. Was about 17-18 years ago.

If you work out how much it's worth - drop me a PM - I might... be interested.

John

I used to use Hiwatt's and have had about 10 in my time Amazing amps, Queen, Led Zepp, The Who, everyone who played in the 70s had these.

Examples can fetch anything from 400 to 800 depending on condition, the valves, transformers and additions. I won't bore you to death with the details (and believe me I could!), but I would advise advertising it for 800 and then working down. If it's a well kept, all original model don't take a penny less than 650. I would (from a purely mercenary sales perspective) advertise the flight case seperately as this will be worth 100 on its own.

Cost me nigh on 300 to get 2 heads done properly before (not Flightcase Monkey Factoy)

If you need more or a write up for ebay etc. let me know.

I sold my last DR103 for 800, but the market has cooled somewhat after they have now been reissued.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='309360' date='Oct 18 2008, 05:22 PM']Hi jake, how much do you hope it is worth?[/quote]
Well that's just it, i've got absolutely no idea. I was hoping somebody could tell me. The value of a vintage guitar, amp or whatever can vary over time as we all know, depending on its currently perceived "prestige" factor IMO. Its something i don't agree with as it goes, paying an arm and a leg for a thing just because it's old and therefore it must be "better". The Gibson Les Paul is surely the best example. I own one myself, circa 2001. It's around seven years old, but i saw a couple of listings on eBay recently trying to sell for more than new. The guitars looked unplayed, obviously bought as an investment to sell on a few years down the line. What a scam. They're mass produced and there are literally millions in circulation. I thought the idea of "vintage" was that a thing was old, rare and made with superior craftsmanship.

Anyway, having said that, i'm sure the last old Hiwatt i saw on eBay went for around two grand, sold in the USA. I couldn't swear to it, it was a while ago now.

Thanks Jebo, i must admit £650-£850 is less than i thought. If that's the case i reckon i'll be hanging on to it. :)

Any advice on how to date it? I'll have a look for that label inside.

Cheers,

Jake M

Edited by Jake_M

[quote name='umph' post='309756' date='Oct 19 2008, 12:00 PM']if your looking for around the 650 - 850 mark i'd swap my trace elliot v6 for this[/quote]
Thanks for that, but as i said, 650-850 is less than i thought. It's considerably less than the last one i saw selling on eBay went for, so i reckon i'll be hanging on to it for the time being, see how much the one next fetches... :)

Cheers,

Jake M

Edited by Jake_M

Ebay's not really an accurate reflector of value per-sey. Look at how the vintage guitar market has been knocked sideways by this 'credit crunch' crap.

I'd hold onto it for a few years until we're out of the recession. I think you'll struggle to get more than about £650 for it.

They're so heavy, no-one could afford the postage!