Why become a member? ×

Peavey T40

ProfJames

[quote name='ProfJames' timestamp='1485210076' post='3222233']
Got the chance to get one for around £350.............worth chancing for the money? I just bought a Peavey G, immaculate with the Modulus neck for £200 so I am expecting the T40 to be something special.
[/quote]

Assuming it's in a good condition that seems a pretty good price to me. They usually go for a bit more.

That's about the price I bought and sold my one for - it's on the list of "why the hell did you sell it?" kit, lovely basses. People aren't kidding about the weight though, I've never felt anything like it, bloody boat anchor. Sounds ace though, and really versatile. I'd have another in a heartbeat.

Probably around what it's worth in market terms (with the proviso that its utility value is greater, as others agree above). Try offering £300 and see if the seller bites? You can always agree somewhere in the middle. I'd say it would be a decent buy, but not a bargain at that. Buy a nice wide strap for it and away you go.

These were amongst, if not the first, CNC made guitars. This meant they were made to very high and consistent tolerances. Quite a clever move on the part of Peavey, as it kept costs down on a US made instrument at a time the Japanese makers were hammering the big names like Fender, Gibson and Rickenbacker on price and quality. I played a very beaten up one for a couple of years, not realising how exceptional it was until I'd sold it (my second bass so I didn't know better). I don't really remember it being heavy - the early model Westone Thunder 1A I used subsequently felt much heavier.

Warren whatever his name, the producer who does all the YouTube videos reckons that they are the very best bass around for recording. That's a pretty good recommendation. Supposed to be very heavy though (I haven't seen one in the flesh for many years).

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1485246817' post='3222357']
I had one and it was a bit tatty so didn't stay. A nice one would be lovely but you need to be happy with the weight.
[/quote]

Is that the one I bought from you Peter?

Great sounding basses IMHO..And some very clever passive electronic circuitry that does offer a wide range of useable tones. I always liked the placement of the neck pick up on the T40s as it gives a really natural, warm tone.

I've had two before and stupidly sold both of them and this thread is underlining to me just how crazy I was to do that..

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1485361269' post='3223391']
Is that the one I bought from you Peter?

Great sounding basses IMHO..And some very clever passive electronic circuitry that does offer a wide range of useable tones. I always liked the placement of the neck pick up on the T40s as it gives a really natural, warm tone.

I've had two before and stupidly sold both of them and this thread is underlining to me just how crazy I was to do that..
[/quote]

Here's me admitting it was a 'bit tatty' to the buyer then Nik :huh:

I think you knew that though, a fair price etc. It was a while ago.

I would likely have ket a mint one. Definitely something special about them. I hope you're well :)

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1485363293' post='3223414']

Here's me admitting it was a 'bit tatty' to the buyer then Nik :huh:

I think you knew that though, a fair price etc. It was a while ago.

I would likely have ket a mint one. Definitely something special about them. I hope you're well :)

Peter
[/quote]

I'm well thanks Peter - hope you are too! :)

That T40 had plenty of Mojo as I recall and was perfect for my tastes, as I like a bass to have that roadworn look. My BC Rich Eagle has plenty of battle scars, but so it should as it's over 30 years old.

I had an absolutely pristine JV series Squier P Bass once and had to sell it because I was afraid to use it because it was in such immaculate condition..

Anyway, back on topic, this thread is giving me serious T40 GAS! 😀

Edited by silverfoxnik

[quote name='ProfJames' timestamp='1485207119' post='3222183']
Hi Guys

How good are they? They appear to be very popular with a number of bassists. Worth buying?
[/quote]

Great Basses - I love 'em!

They drop into two camps - Toaster/Slab Body and Blade/Contoured. Toaster, more old school sound and Blade, a bit more punch and bite.

Lots and lots of stuff here:[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/88904-peavey-t-40-basses/page__hl__peavey%20t40%20flat%20eric"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/88904-peavey-t-40-basses/page__hl__peavey%20t40%20flat%20eric[/url]

Lots and lots of stuff here: [url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=T-40"]http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=T-40[/url]

People often mention the weight of them - generally the earlier ones are lighter - I have a few that are around 9 to 10lbs.
The thing is they are very "well balanced".
I have lighter basses, that "feel" heavier, as they hang off balance, so try not to let that put you off.
Have a read up and decide if you want Toaster or Blade.

Good luck in finding the one for you - plenty of fans of the Forty on here!

Cheers. ::

• 3 weeks later...

Bought another from the States. Shipped from Illinois to my pal in Virginia, then $150 shipping to UK (27lb weight with ohsc and packing) via USPS/Parcelforce. Then a further £50 tax/duty. This purchase only based on a few photos but I have spent about six weeks due diligence and searching out the good ones.

My experience tells me that the average sell price in USA is just over $500. Spares are expensive, it cost me $29 for a tone knob. A T40 is worth more in spares than as a complete bass. Am now bidding on a T45 and a T20.

The maple one turned out to be in as good if not better condition than my white one. Both 1980 builds. Great sounds/tones and built like tanks. Also trying to source another G bass but there are none around.

I would post photos but have no idea how to do it on this site....

Edited by ProfJames

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1487511646' post='3240313']
"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Am now bidding on a T45 and a T20."[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Dangerous game, at least 24 different models were built in the USA alone :lol:[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Can you expand please?