Why become a member? ×

Pimp my Ampeg

Shaggy

After getting fed up of fumbling on darkened stages I thought I’d go for a rack light, but had (a) no money for one and (:) no rack space!
Figured all I needed was a couple of stick-on LED’s at the top/front edge of the rack. On t’bay I found a brand-new 24 blue LED strip intended for night illumination of aquariums – neatly sealed in silicone to be waterproof - with integral 12V DC adapter - £9 posted. Very slim; only about 1 cm profile with LED’s upright, or 0.5cm with the LED’s on their side.
Fitted it last week in a hurry for this last weekends gigs, so just siliconed it behind a bit of “L” section wooden beading, glued the beading to the top/front edge of the rack (just out of the way of the front cover) and painted the front of it matt black so it’s pretty much invisible. Better would be a nice polished alu mount that could slide in and out. Or I could even buy a rack light……
Did look very nifty on stage, better than the fuzzy pics suggest. :huh:

[quote name='dood' post='310485' date='Oct 20 2008, 03:02 PM']Smaaaart! Do you have a linky to the auction/ebay shop?[/quote]
Here -
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Single-24cm-LED-Waterproof-Aquarium-Moonlight-Fish-Tank_W0QQitemZ200264472859QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200264472859&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Single-24cm-LED-Wate...id=p3911.c0.m14[/url]
Sorry - couldn't figure how to shorten it! - same item & seller, this one's £6.99 with 45 min to go
Similar LED lighting kits for car interiors at eg; Halfords, but you'd need to connect the lighter socket plug to a 12V DC adapter

[quote name='peted' post='311903' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:18 AM']Nicely done! We bassists are suckers for flashing coloured lights aren't we?[/quote]
One of things I always liked – and miss – about my old Trace Elliots, that funky green glow. Surprised it’s not a more universal feature on amps when even the most basic domestic stereos usually have back-lighting.
Thanks for all the good feedback! :)

[quote name='cetera' post='312844' date='Oct 23 2008, 11:27 AM']Nice rig choice btw.... :)[/quote]

I had some good advice :huh: :huh: :huh:

It does however weigh only very slightly less than Jupiter

Your 1516BE is just in on the left of the pic - under the Trace TV, which is my "hi-fi" rig, unlike the rig above which is about as subtle as a drive-by shooting!

Edited by Shaggy