Why become a member? ×

Sought after basses of the future?

Number6

So we all know there are some very sought after, highly prized and similarly highly priced basses of the past from various marques.....

My question is: will there be basses that we buy nowadays that will become the future classics and just as sought after?

IMO the bass in question needs to satisfy two conditions:

1. It is no longer being made (either the whole brand or a particular model)

2. It is the bass of choice for a well known bassist with a distinctive musical style.

Edited by BigRedX

I think the Modulus Flea/FU has done that.

They were changing hands for £900-£1200 when I joined here 7 years ago, you'd be lucky to spend less than £2000 now.

I should've jumped at the ones I debated.

Edited by AndyTravis

Hmm, probably Fender and Gibson custom shop models if nothing else. In about ten years I would suspect that 1980s Fenders will become sought after even though they not highly thought of at the moment.

As said above as well, any original bass made by a 'boutique' luthier before they retire: Fodera, Sadowsky, Ritter, Carl Thompson, Mike Lull etc.

I can't imagine the youth of today fighting over anything particularly interesting bass wise, high prices tend to be driven mainly by nostalgia, those who really wanted a Rickenbacker in the 70s are now in a position to buy one for example, working on that logic eBay will be full of listings for old iPhones and such things.

I'd imagine the safer money would be on main stream instruments rather than anything special, the kids into proper bands now and in the future are going to be the slightly retro loving ones I'd say, if I was looking to invest it would be a 66 jazz or a 50s P bass rather than something like one of BRX's Gus basses regardless of the playability, I wouldn't use an old Fender anyway as they all have a string missing :)

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1489335066' post='3256116']
Hmm, probably Fender and Gibson custom shop models if nothing else. In about ten years I would suspect that 1980s Fenders will become sought after even though they not highly thought of at the moment.

As said above as well, any original bass made by a 'boutique' luthier before they retire: Fodera, Sadowsky, Ritter, Carl Thompson, Mike Lull etc.
[/quote]

It would be interesting to see what the uptake of the bass guitar figures have looked like over the past forty years, I'd be amazed if they aren't falling, the supply and demand for high end boutique basses will surely not pan out well, even on a forum like this today they'll be people who have no idea what most of the basses you mention are, imagine that projected forward. The only way a Lull jazz will be worth more than they are now will be when a new Fender Jazz costs over £4k with inflation imo.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I think the new US Fender Precision in 'Antique Olive' and the Jazz in 'Sonic Grey' will eventually be more desirable than their standard colour siblings, because those specific colours will be synonymous with 2017.

Edited by Shambo

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1489335066' post='3256116']

[/quote]

I agree. We're already seeing 70s Fenders increase in price despite the build quality of that era being abysmal. Inevitable that 80s Fenders will do the same. Expect Ps to rise more significantly as Js were popular during that era.

I'm not sure whether boutique basses will ever reach significant resale prices unless they're associated with particular players - Status/ Mark King - though I expect them to remain niche instruments with players. We really need to have a plane crash with all the known builders on for boutique bass prices to jump....and NO, THIS IS NOT A SUGGESTION!!!

If the plane returning from NAMM next year crashes there'll be a good chance they'll be looking at users of this forum.. :o :o

Luthiers without their own model will probably be less sought after than those that are known for their own merit.
Wal, MTD, Ritter and some others will attract more collectors than those that make their own jazz version and barely anything distinctive.

Definitely Ritter.

Some of his stuff wouldn't look out of place in an art gallery and I can imagine a time when even non bassists may wish to collect his work, purely in the context of its aesthetic appeal.

Edited by Cato

Certain models and colours of Musicman basses.

Wal basses.

I fully expect to see the value of old Fenders (indeed the whole vintage thing) to change - the volume of people who currently buy them for nostalgia purposes rather than as musicians are likely reducing. The same demographic change has hit the value of most collectibles from the 40s/50s era. As with antiques, values change with changing tastes and demographics.

80's Japanese stuff is becoming more and more desirable, Westone Thunder 1's being offered up at £400+ The worlds gone crazy! Thing is if people keep offering them up for silly money then the ones priced well over what they were a few years ago suddenly start looking more attractive and the assumed market value moves up.

Look at Stingrays at the moment, most private sellers on Ebay are asking more for their standard basses than Andy Baxter is asking for the same basses, I think that suggests that in the current market most Stingrays are over priced? Another example being the USA made Sub bass, they are starting to appear upwards of £500 at the moment, they were £300 or so a couple of years back, I know that I have said Stingrays are overpriced at the moment so we seem to be seeing the SUB model moving into the territory where the prime models used to be found

Fender Precision lyte's are being offered for silly money at the moment with beaten up incomplete examples being offered up for £400+ double what they fetched a couple of years ago.

Prices for gear in general seems to be a lot higher than it was a couple of years ago, whether any of it sells is a different matter!

The price of brand new US made basses, and especially the better Fenders, Custom Shop, Musicman, and I guess everything else is influenced by changing exchange rates, new CITES requirements and other factors - basically the price is going up and I don't think we've seen what it will settle at.

Thus the used price is likely to rise also. This may take them out of reach of some people.

I would have though Warwick, Spector and Sadowski basses would continue to be sought after along with G and L and Lakland.

You can also see how the bass market is dwarfed by guitars just by looking at the displays in large retail stores.