Why become a member? ×

Pimp mah Bronco

neepheid

As some of you may know, I picked up a Squier Bronco for very little recently, and with some modifications it has turned out to be a most excellent purchase.

Mod 1: get rid of the catastrophically bad 2 saddle bridge.

Now you can set the intonation properly. The replacement bridge wasn't ideal - had to drill a couple of holes in the bass for mounting screws, and modify the bridge itself for top loading as it was designed for through body stringing (might see to that later, we'll see...

Mod 2: change of pickguard to a rather fetching BWB job. There's only one choice with a maple fingerboard, and it isn't single ply white :huh:

Mod 3: stick in a lipstick pickup, therefore using a blade instead of 6 individual pole pieces, and looking damn fine into the bargain.

The lipstick pickup has a lovely mid range honk to it when the tone control is all the way up, and a quite meaty tone when it's wound all the way down. Very pleased with the sound.

The only thing left to do is change the tuners. I think I'll bore the holes out to 17mm and put in full size tuners for that late 70s Musicmaster vibe.

Eagle-eyed readers will note that one of the pickguard screws is missing, that's because someone in Indonesia can't drill straight and the original screw blew past the edge of the wood. I had to glue in a piece of dowel and was waiting for the glue to dry before attempting to redrill.

And there you have it - another silk purse made out of a sow's ear :)

Edited by neepheid

Mate that looks so cool!

Could you tell me the various parts you used for this? is the scratchplate a custom?
I've got a Bronco that is kinda sitting not doing much, I've got it strung Piccolo, but am definitly now thinking about pimping it and returning it to an octave lower!
Mines Red though, not as cool as black, but might look nice with a red-tort scratchplate

Cheers
Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='313641' date='Oct 24 2008, 10:58 AM']Mate that looks so cool!

Could you tell me the various parts you used for this? is the scratchplate a custom?
I've got a Bronco that is kinda sitting not doing much, I've got it strung Piccolo, but am definitly now thinking about pimping it and returning it to an octave lower!
Mines Red though, not as cool as black, but might look nice with a red-tort scratchplate

Cheers
Si[/quote]

The pickguard I got from eBay seller fxguitarman1. They've got BWB, black pearl and white pearl listed but will do others on request. It's made by Jeannie Pickguards. Try [url="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=bronco+bass+pickguard"]http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trk...+bass+pickguard[/url]

It wasn't perfect - I found that the screw holes weren't countersunk enough for my liking so I sorted that out, and of course the holes didn't line up worth a damn (as is the case with any Squier body I've changed the pickguard on) so there will be some filling and redrilling in your future.

The bridge was also an eBay US job, there are a few dotted about: 140275775969, 400003273589, 350114574112 (I got the last one mentioned there, but I'm sure they're identical)

The pickup was also an eBay US job (there is a distinct lack of cool bass stuff here in the UK, no?) - a GFS Pro Tube lipstick pup. Decided to go with the 8k bridge pickup. [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120322134772"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=120322134772[/url]

They also do a 6k and a 4.9k depending on what you want to do.

There's a lot of space in the pickup rout if you want to get creative and you don't mind modding your pickguard.

[quote name='neepheid' post='313651' date='Oct 24 2008, 11:17 AM']The pickguard I got from eBay seller fxguitarman1. They've got BWB, black pearl and white pearl listed but will do others on request. It's made by Jeannie Pickguards. Try [url="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=bronco+bass+pickguard"]http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trk...+bass+pickguard[/url]

It wasn't perfect - I found that the screw holes weren't countersunk enough for my liking so I sorted that out, and of course the holes didn't line up worth a damn (as is the case with any Squier body I've changed the pickguard on) so there will be some filling and redrilling in your future.

The bridge was also an eBay US job, there are a few dotted about: 140275775969, 400003273589, 350114574112 (I got the last one mentioned there, but I'm sure they're identical)

The pickup was also an eBay US job (there is a distinct lack of cool bass stuff here in the UK, no?) - a GFS Pro Tube lipstick pup. Decided to go with the 8k bridge pickup. [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120322134772"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=120322134772[/url]

They also do a 6k and a 4.9k depending on what you want to do.

There's a lot of space in the pickup rout if you want to get creative and you don't mind modding your pickguard.[/quote]

Lovely job
Cheers mate!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='314036' date='Oct 24 2008, 05:52 PM']Lovely job
Cheers mate!

Si[/quote]

Oh, forgot to mention - the spring (as supplied with the bridge) for the G saddle wasn't long enough to push against the saddle when the intonation was set correctly - had to replace it with a longer spring - I used a guitar humbucker spring which did the trick.

Edited by neepheid

• 2 weeks later...

This is a nice wee bass. Neepheid took it round to mine the other night and we put it through my LMII/Schroeder rig and to tell you the truth I didn't want to put it down. Apart from good looks (gorgeous chrome pup btw) it sounds good too. After adjusting to it's diminutive dimensions I found it's strength lies in it's top end. Crank the tone right up and you've got that scooped slap tone with a little bit of rumble that I like - rolling back the tone takes you right into the mud. The only downside is the pup's output, it's a little cooler than you'd like but Matt assures me that a wee booster circuit is next on his shopping list and that'll sort it right out..... Oh and a thumb rest. :)
Definitely one in the eye for gear snobs though.

Thumbrest is coming :)

Regarding boosting the output of the pickup a little, I'm wondering what's best to do.

1) Put in a simple booster like a Bartolini TC1/TC3/TC5 (depends on the amount of boost I need) - these are 18dB, 12dB and 6dB gain respectively. Was thinking of going with the middle road and getting a TC3.

2) Put in a 2EQ active circuit on a concentric pot

I'm worried that a 2EQ will colour the sound unnecessarily, and as Rich said above I've got a good range of tones with the passive tone control already.

• 1 month later...

Pics as promised:

I know the E string has a bit of an angle coming out of the nut, but it's nothing Fender hasn't done in the past:

So now it doesn't look like a toy. Fender types just look weird with miniature tuners, you need elephant ear tuners.

Still loving this!!
And the new tuners look buff!

My bronco is gonna be my new years project, Although I'm also thinking I might refinish it, Red isn't the easiest colour to work with when you're trying to get something looking classy lol

Si