Why become a member? ×

Hard drive advice

mrtcat

Hey all, after some advice. The hard drive on my dell pc has failed. It's toast basically and, as the machine is out of warranty, Dell want an arm and a leg to send a new one.

Everything was backed up so there's no problem with lost work but as someone who likes to look on tye bright side I see this as a chance to up the performance of the pc a bit. I use it for some light work stuff but also use it to run reaper and Lightworks. Can anyone recommend tye best upgrade to get the most out of it.

Currently has 16gb ram and an Intel core i7 processor. Am considering getting a 7200 rpm hdd and a ssd to run music stuff. All suggestions gratefully received.

i would agree with the above about SSD hard drives, game changer

i have my system set up so that i have 3 Hdd's in it totalling around 2TB

one bit of advice i was given is run 2 hard drives, one for your system, and anything else recording related on the second, so when you are recording you are recording, data doesnt clash because it is being drawn and sent down 2 streams rather than 1... dunno how true it is, but that's how i run it and i dint have any issues relating to it

Also, 7200 drives work just fine for streaming (internal & external) sample libraries like Kontakt etc with the big Orchestral libraries.
In fact SSD would have to drop in price still more before folks are going to dump their drives.
Three or four TB worth of Sample patches could end up rather expensive.
Networking extra PC's or Macs or indeed combinations of both are quite popular at the moment, using VEPro 6.
This takes all the processor load of the DAW, everything is hosted outside of the DAW.

It all depends how you are going to be working. Certainly SSD for your system drive for programmes.
Although RAM and CPU are just as important.
But, there is certainly still life in HDD's for a while, regarding DAW work.

All of this, although technically fascinating, is, in my view, complete overkill for domestic, amateur use. Of course, if one can do more, one can do less, so it's all useful info, but it's going to be a long time before I need more than my i5 proc or SSD. Not knocking it; if I was Cresus I'd probably bite the bullet, but my meagre resources don't spread to these 'cutting edge' techniques. I don't feel handicapped at all by my modest 'lean' system.
Just sayin'.

SSD is a ratchet purchase for sure. However, I've never been disappointed with the WD Black drive I have - spools games up faster than any other I've had, raptors included and while expensive for non-SSD, I'd definitely have another.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1495694712' post='3305848']

to look on tye bright side I see this as a chance to up the performance of the pc a bit. I use it for some light work stuff but also use it to run reaper and Lightworks. Can anyone recommend tye best upgrade to get the most out of it.

[/quote]

while you're at it, get a new keyboard that knows how to type "THE" hehe, sorry, couldn't resist, carry on

• 2 weeks later...

Have you got a PCI-E x4 slot free? If you have then you could look at M.2 SSD, it's more bang for your buck. The SATA interface is the bottleneck now for SSD drives.

I've got a laptop with M.2 SSD and you pretty much just turn it on, instead of it booting.

• 3 weeks later...