Why become a member? ×

Small body semi acoustics

Nicko

I have been looking for something to fill the gap on the wall between my Mex Telecaster and my Patrick Eggle. I tried an Ibanez AS73 which felt really good, but ideally I would like something wth a smaller body. Ibanez have the AM range, but the Am73 seems to be available only in black, flat tobacco or "vintage" and the vintage looks to me a really bad roadworn version. I dont really want the cheaper AM53 and cant really run to the higher priced versions.

Any suggestions for something similar at the same price point?

A guy we did part of of a mini tour with bought a Revelation Jazzmaster thin line for a couple of hundred. Looks great, good pickups with coil tap, designed by Entwhistle. I'd probably get one if i was allowed any more guitars, so cool!
https://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/product/revelation-jazzmaster-thinline-rjt60-tl-fr-fiesta-red/

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1497271991' post='3316919']
A guy we did part of of a mini tour with bought a Revelation Jazzmaster thin line for a couple of hundred. Looks great, good pickups with coil tap, designed by Entwhistle. I'd probably get one if i was allowed any more guitars, so cool!
[url="https://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/product/revelation-jazzmaster-thinline-rjt60-tl-fr-fiesta-red/"]https://www.vintagea...-fr-fiesta-red/[/url]
[/quote]

Looks nice in green, although I think I'd really prefer a set neck and no trem.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1497443164' post='3318175']
Epiphone 339 Pro?

Small version of the 335 shape and the Epi has the advantage of coil taps too.
[/quote]

I can recommend this style of guitar. The Epiphone is an affordable version of the Gibson ES339, which in turn is a 'shrunk' version of the ES335. I have a CS336, which is almost identical to the ES339 except for the body construction method. Small and manageable, with musical feedback on tap.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1497481582' post='3318642']
Shameless plug but my Gordon Smith Gypsy is still kicking around the for sale section somewhere!

[/quote]

I had one of these in black, massive bang for buck - and this looks sexier!

Shameless plug but my Gordon Smith Gypsy is still kicking around the for sale section somewhere!

[/quote]

Been on there for 2 and a half years? I have heard both very good and very bad stuff about Gordon Smith guitars. I think the wonky bridge post is indicative of it. I have a wrap around bridge on my Patrick Eggle, and its great once set up, but boy is it a faff restringing it without getting a kink in the strings.

[/quote]

When I saw the topic I came on here to suggest one of these! Didn't know there was one up for sale though. Great guitars.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1497600478' post='3319318']
Been on there for 2 and a half years? I have heard both very good and very bad stuff about Gordon Smith guitars. I think the wonky bridge post is indicative of it. I have a wrap around bridge on my Patrick Eggle, and its great once set up, but boy is it a faff restringing it without getting a kink in the strings.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm really lazy about selling stuff! Overall it's a great instrument but the bridge is a possible issue. The neck pickup also stopped working and there's no backplate to access the wiring (I guess you'd see it through the f hole) and it's these issues that made me retire it as my main instrument. I'm tempted to take the hit and sell it off cheap to get it into the hands of someone who can fix the pickup and enjoy it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

GAK just supplied me a lovely looking Epi ES339. Plays well, and the cherry finish is, erm, the cherry on the cake. To be honest I would have bought the Ibanez AM73 if they had made it in some better finishes - the antiqued finish is absolutely minging and I didn't want plain black.