Why become a member? ×

Rob Allen Deep 5

BigBeatNut

Review ? Hmmm ...

Well it's lovely in sound as well as looks. I'm a sucker for anything that gets me near upright bass qualities in a bass guitar, hence this purchase. While I no longer believe I'm going to get a BG that really sounds like an URB, this one has more of those qualities than anything else I've come across ... it's a great organic, growly, soulful sound.

I won't do the specs bit, you can get that from the RA site. The two controls on the bridge are more or less what you'd expect, stacked Treble and bass on the B string side, Volume on the G string side ... with one surprise. The volume pot pulls up for what appears to be a bass boost (though I've also heard it described as giving a scoop contour) which brings out the bloom nicely. Rob apparently decided to stop building these in, I don't know why. I haven't opened it up yet but apparently in the control compartment there's a trim pot for treble. Sounds like a passive roll-off from the what the booklet says.

The neck is chunky in a nice way. Action is (apparently) as low as Rob get it without compromising the sound. The bass is actually smaller in the flesh than you might expect from the pictures on the website, not sure why. So it's substantially smaller than a Guild Starfire or Gibson semi, though still larger than a Fender 'P'.

It mostly been played at home, but the one occasion it's been out so far I was knocked out with the sound. In that context, a blues jam, it was a more than adequate substitute for an upright, much more so than you'd expect from the sound through headphones.

I guess I do need to say something about specs. Body: Alder/English Walnut. Neck: Walnut/Ebony. Strings: La Bella 760m.

Not sure what else to say. It's an absolute joy to play (comfortable, light), and I'm looking forward to using it on gigs.

Fire questions at me if you want to know more.

Andy