Why become a member? ×

Can't get enough of this - Sam Wilkes - KNOWER

AntLockyer

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1505072494' post='3369321']
http://youtu.be/GnEmD17kYsE

Sam is an absolute beast and this is so so good it makes me want to weep.
[/quote]

Funnily enough a friend of mine showed me this exact clip last Saturday.

I was blown away.

It reminds of Vulfpeck and some of their jam videos, but with a modern dance edge to the jazz funk.

Just finished listening to the latest album.

They record as an electronic duo and the jazz influence is much less pronounced.

The closest camparison I can come up with is LCD Sound System.

Still very good though.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1505110394' post='3369447']
I actually dislike everything I've heard from them previously.
[/quote]

Apparently it's only quite recently that they've started touring with a live band and that's funked things up quite a bit.

The album version of 'overtime' is a lot more house/elctro than jazz/funk. (I'm well out of my depth assigning genres to this electronic stuff).

I recommend listening to a tune called Weird Part of the Night by Louis Cole, it combines everything that's great about Knower.
There's jazz, funk, 80's / Prince, 90s techno and straight up pop music influences in there, all squished up and injected full of weirdness and humour.
I'm on a phone so I can't post it but it's a tune.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1505168963' post='3370014']
I recommend listening to a tune called Weird Part of the Night by Louis Cole, it combines everything that's great about Knower.
There's jazz, funk, 80's / Prince, 90s techno and straight up pop music influences in there, all squished up and injected full of weirdness and humour.
[/quote]

This one?

http://youtu.be/glgPZmSwC4M

I think I like it, but I may just be dazzled by the trousers/dance moves combination.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1505168963' post='3370014']
[/quote]
Very cool tune. I like how his microphone is wired but he walks down the street... Brilliant

• 2 years later...

Can't wait to watch this. Louis Cole was the last gig I went to before they were all cancelled. It was just him and his looper but it was brilliant. The following night was suppose to be the full band in London but it was cancelled

Yep - there's actually two bass players featured here - Sam Wilkes plays the LA concerts, and a guy called Petter 9000 plays the Amsterdam concert. Petter is obviously a big Wilkes fan, but plays some fairly bonkers bass breaks of his own  - try listening to 'Falling in a Cool Way' - and the break at 25.05 for example.   😵