Why become a member? ×

GK MB2-500

dangerboy

I've asked this question on TB, but I thought I'd ask you guys too.

I've just taken delivery (after quite a tortuous journey) of my new, tiny GK head. These won't be in Europe until next year, so you can bet I'm excited.

Anyway, now I need to work out how to convert it to UK voltage. It's built around an ICEpower class D poweramp board (like the shuttle and possibly a few other tiny amps), which has a jumper to control input voltage.

So my question is, to get this to work on UK voltage do I just move the jumper from the US voltage point to the UK voltage point, or do I need to do something else too? Any gutshots of Shuttles or other ICEpower based amps set up for UK voltage would probably answer my question pretty quickly.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='324763' date='Nov 8 2008, 12:28 PM']I would guess you just move the jumper, but if nobody comes back at you with a definitive answer, just phone GK, or you can PM Mr Gallien directly through talkbass! I've been looking a these amps myself - you gonna be using live on Wednesday?[/quote]

I don't think so - I can't get a cab to the venue so I'll probably take my trusty MB150S instead. In fact I'd better go and sort out kitshare for the whole thing!

It did just take one jumper move to make this amp work - thanks to Jason from G-K for the tip-off.

Sounds really crisp at low volumes in my flat - I'll update once I get it somewhere that I can crank it!

500W of my favourite sound that I can pick up with my little finger. Heavenly.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm seriously contemplating one of these as well but then again i was seriously contemplating an all valve amp not that long ago.

I love how small and light they are.

I'm all for reducing how many trips I need to make from the car to the gig so this would get it down to 2 and would be a lot lighter than my GK 700RB II but more powerful (?)

I don't suppose you took a picture of the bit that you move to adjust the voltage for anyone else who is looking into getting one early?

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='343580' date='Dec 2 2008, 10:00 PM']I don't suppose you took a picture of the bit that you move to adjust the voltage for anyone else who is looking into getting one early?[/quote]

No need for a photo - it's labelled on the board. There's a jumper in a holder labelled '110V', so you move it to the one labelled '220V'.

Steve

The front panel looks much closer to that of the RB amps than it does the current MB series. Does it sound like the RB's rather then the MB's??

I like both - though use an RB400 at the mo , purely because I just couldn't ge the volume I wanted out of my MB150 combo and a cab.

I prefer the sound of the RB to be honest , and it's less fiddly to get the sounds I want - I'm well up for the MB2 if it's going to tick all the boxes - ie RB sounds from a MB size

• 1 month later...

Before you hump the bandwagon, check the TB thread out about this amp, looks like plenty of people are having issues ranging from distortion, RF interference, amp overheating and cutting out, etc! Plus they've showcased a new version with the tube pre from the Fusion range at NAMM - I think it had like 3 tubes and 800W in the same piddly sized amp!

• 1 year later...

[quote name='jonlad1' post='1032200' date='Nov 22 2010, 08:12 AM']Sorry to bump this, but does anyone have any further info on converting one of these (or any GK head for that matter) to 230/240v?

I know you have to move a jumper but do you have to change a fuse too?

Cheers[/quote]

Probably best to change the fuse too. Power = Volts * Current.

As you have doubled the voltage, it'll be best to halve the value of the fuse to maintain the same power limit.

Edited by Pikefloyd

• 2 weeks later...

I moved my jumper, didn't change the internal fuse, the circuit board is screen printed 5A 250v, that is the fuse that is in it so i left well enough alone. The fuse is time delay too.
Anybody get word from GK on this? I would imagine both 110v & 220v use the same internal fuse since it is screen printed (could be wrong).