Why become a member? ×

Groove Shoppe GS5

Gwilym

Here's a little bit more pr0n...

...of a little souveneer I picked up on my holidays earlier this year. Bought off a TB user, it looked an interesting bass, and I took a punt after doing my homework. The exchange rate was far more favourable at the time too! I actually haven't played it that much yet, as it tooke me ages to find the correct size allen key to make a minor truss rod adjustment. Thats all done now, and it's a little belter!

So it's GS5 #2, designed by Michael Tobias in conjunction with the guys at the Groove Shoppe in NYC.

Ash body, maple neck, Nordstrand dual coils, Glockenklang/Groove Shoppe pre-amp. Controls: vol/balance/bass/mid/treble. Switch for humbucking/single coil mode. Pull the vol for passive mode, and the treble acts as a vintage tone control in passive mode - nice!

[url="http://www.thegrooveshoppe.com/Main.htm"]You can read more about them here (via the GS5 button on the top left).[/url]

The cherry(?) sunburst isn't normally my cuppa, but it's growing on me :) Here a couple of pictures:

[attachment=15827:DSCN2186.JPG] [attachment=15828:DSCN2179.JPG]

Cheers
G

Edited by Gwilym

• 2 years later...

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1317635023' post='1392439']
lookin' good mate. Is it a flat finish or something?
[/quote]

Cheers!

The finish doesn't really show up very well in those pictures unfortunately. It's a partially translucent white finish, so the ash grain is visible in the flesh. when I have my camera back I'll try to get some better pictures up. also, some sound clips of both basses, as I found it impossible to find any showing the difference between the dual coils and fatstacks. I wasn't sure about the looks/colour so much initially, I just knew it would be a damn fine bass. It looked better in the flesh though, and the pimpin' looks goes well with the 70's tone :)

They're not made anymore, which is a real shame, because they play as well as anything I've had my hands on. There's a bit more about their demise on [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/groove-shoppe-basses-no-more-672055/"]this thread on TB[/url]

G