Why become a member? ×

Build diary: 5 string fanned fret bass

Al Heeley

Build Diary: Five String Fanned Fret Bass with pre-amp
I want to put together a fanned-fret 5-string, low E to high C, 34.5" scale for the low E up to 32.5" scale for the C. 46mm nut, some wood left over from previous builds include some nice sawn and planed maple for a bolt-on neck, and a mahogany-zebrano sandwich body.
Here's first plan sketch

Started work on the body. Here's the shape copied onto Simo's Sapele, I sandwiched a thin veneer of white wood into the join, which adds a nice centre-line mark and also helps to hide any of my bad jointing.

Here's the basic body shape jigsawed out, sanded smooth and some countouring started.

A little more progress on the body. Back edges rounded over, control cavity routed, sunken recess made in the tail cut for locking Neutrik jackplug.
Since I seem to have got a bit of a Dingwall thing going here, I thought I'd make use of some of their really cool little design details.

Progress started on the neck. Maple blocks glued together with a thin light wood veneer centre stripe to match the body.
Here the truss rod channel has been routed, truss rod installed and the wood fillet inserted over the top and and planed flat.
On previous builds I have really struggled to get a nice neat trim fillet after mucking about with planes and sanders.
This time I used a rasp and surform and got it flush and smooth in about 30 seconds. Marvellous! Never neglect those little hand tools, these silly little jobs can be a real pain with the big power tools and a small surform stands far less chance of taking nasty chunks out of your neck.

More progress; fingerboard trimmed, radiussed, slotted and dotted. Body has acquired a jb bridge pup and a mini three-way toggle.
Wierd perspective tricks with these fanned fret and staggered bridge builds, the photo makes it look like the pickups are skewed but they are perfectly perpendicular to the centre line.
I have a few MOP inlay circles left of various size, and was going to add some sort of extra design at F12, but with the small and simple circle markers against the dark ebony, i think it looks a lot more classy.

Some more progress. Neck trimmed flush (pocket routed deeper) and the electrics all wired up.
Neck given a few wipes of Tru-Oil - more to follow.
I also inlaid a little copper-ring bloodwood circle into the headstock.
Now just waiting for the machine heads, then the nut can be cut, and frets levelled. Then she's done :)

Finally got the machine heads on and a set of strings. Nut cut rough, needs a good setup now but she's all working and making some of the right noises.
A fair bit of fret buzz in places for now but nothing that a bit of levelling won't solve. I must say it does feel very comfortable virtually striaght off the bat playing fanned frets, far easier than I was expecting. I've really enjoyed putting her together and learning a bit more about this great craft.
I think a decent pre-amp system is on the shopping list for the end of the month. :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='362775' date='Dec 24 2008, 01:20 PM']Nice to see that again (and the slightly scary eggs!) Any extra news to post since this was up on TalkBass? Have you upgraded the pre-amp yet?

You should post your Rickenfaker build here - there's more than a few people who would be interested in that who might have missed it.[/quote]
Thanks mate! I've reset the neck and added an active/passive switch since last time but stuck with the same pre-amp. Need to start playing it more, at the moment I'm in love with my jazz bass.
I will port the Lemonbacker project over shortly...

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='362798' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:08 PM']Thanks mate! I've reset the neck and added an active/passive switch since last time but stuck with the same pre-amp. Need to start playing it more, at the moment I'm in love with my jazz bass.
I will port the Lemonbacker project over shortly...[/quote]

Hi Al, good to see you over here! This bass was the original inspiration for me trying my fanned 5 :)

So Im guessing resetting the neck made all the difference? How did you do that? Re-routed then shimmed?

Edited by Mikey R

Hi Mikey,
I fashioned a couple of thin shims to raise the height a couple of mm and tighten the pocket. A snugger fit has helped improve action and resonance from neck to body. The whole bridge thing was a major pain on this bass, I wanted slightly closer spacings to go in line with the neck profile. Add that one to the learning curve.:)

Wow! I read the thread on this on Talk Bass just this week (I very occasionally lurk there, not signed up). This is an awesome bass. I've got Jon Shuker making me a fanned-fret 6 string singlecut with not too dissimilar scale lengths to what you've got there. The fanning looks far superior to the 'extreme' stuff you get on Dingwalls. Awesome bass.

• 2 weeks later...