Why become a member? ×

Moondance....

crez5150

Just got Itunes on in the background while I'm working and VM's Moondance comes on.... I quite like this tune but one thing that has just struck me that I've not noticed before is
that the Bass line in places is quite shoddy on the timing front??

Anybody know any thing about this?

Jay

As a card carrying jazzer, I can say that this tune is the worst piece of remedial s***e ever to find its way onto the world's airwaves. It doesn't swing at all, anywhere, the solos are atrocious, Morrison drops nearly a whole bar in one place and is only able to avoid looking like a complete t** by the fact that the band, despite their complete lack of chops, manages to pick him up again.

How this recording was ever allowed to see the light of day is an astonisihing inditement on the low production values that existed during that era. The producers (Van Morrison and Lewis Merenstein) should be ashamed of themselves (although Morrison's complete lack of self awareness would make this unlikely).

The song (which I loath) is on my 'won't play' list, along with Canteloupe Island, Waternelon Man and Fever.

But that's just me.

Edited by bilbo230763

We had this playing through the PA when we were in another room so we could only really hear the bass and were amazed at how bad the bass was on the record.

If you want a better version, check out the one by Michael Buble - it has an extra middle solo thingy going on as well.

VM strikes me as the kind of guy who doesn't really enjoy what he is doing but it pays the rent.

[quote name='crez5150' post='370858' date='Jan 5 2009, 01:15 PM']Just got Itunes on in the background while I'm working and VM's Moondance comes on.... I quite like this tune but one thing that has just struck me that I've not noticed before is
that the Bass line in places is quite shoddy on the timing front??

Anybody know any thing about this?

Jay[/quote]

It's not just the timing - it has a really 'heavy-handed' feel to it. Horrible. It's far too high in the mix as well, that doesn't help.

Edited by bremen

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='370965' date='Jan 5 2009, 02:48 PM']As a card carrying jazzer, I can say that this tune is the worst piece of remedial s***e ever to find its way onto the world's airwaves. It doesn't swing at all, anywhere, the solos are atrocious, Morrison drops nearly a whole bar in one place and is only able to avoid looking like a complete t** by the fact that the band, despite their complete lack of chops, manages to pick him up again.

How this recording was ever allowed to see the light of day is an astonisihing inditement on the low production values that existed during that era. The producers (Van Morrison and Lewis Merenstein) should be ashamed of themselves (although Morrison's complete lack of self awareness would make this unlikely).

The song (which I loath) is on my 'won't play' list, along with

But that's just me.[/quote]

It's how you do it. One trio I worked in had to back an aspiring singer (40 yrs old) who was a gym fitness instructor before. Her dance moves were (in gown and stilettos) derived from aerobics and she was trying to go sophisticated "jazz"...When we did moondance she seemed to do the moonwalk, so in dedication to her moonwalk moves, we would slip in the riff to "beat it", the pianist and I....it works, try it.... not that she ever noticed. We sometimes slip in some deep purple riffs in various tunes, .. "Black Night" seques easily into a number of the aforementioned tunes....(Canteloupe Island, Watermelon Man and Fever.)

You'd just have to take the piss.

Edited by synaesthesia

You're dead right! I had the temerity to suggest that this was one of the worst played bass lines on a record when I posted on Talkbass. This didn't go down too well at all, so one up to basschat! The bass line is indeed shoddy on the timing front.

Unlike Bilbo, I don't really have a 'won't play' list. I quite like Canteloupe Island, probably because I don't play it very often - ten years ago at the last count.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='370888' date='Jan 5 2009, 01:46 PM']Is it because it is (almost) Jazz.....?[/quote]

[b]ALMOST[/b] Definition: Nearly; well nigh; all but; for the greatest part.
So the answer is no.. :)

Swings like a bucket of sh*te comes to mind.

Garry

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='370965' date='Jan 5 2009, 02:48 PM']....I can say that this tune is the worst piece of remedial s***e ever to find its way onto the world's airwaves. It doesn't swing at all, anywhere, the solos are atrocious....[/quote]
I totally agree with Bilbo (good grief, did I say that!!). I hated this crass, grooveless dirge on first hearing and still do. Beats me how it’s lasted so long in so many bands repertoire!

Given how many BC-ers seem to hate it, it must be terribly annoying that it's so popular among non-musicians.

And Van is probably [i]totally [/i]ashamed now the lumpy bass line's been pointed out. You know how he is.... :)

Edited by skankdelvar

I like Watermelon Man
esp the Headhunters album version

as for the tune at hand it's not that bad, even if it does sound like a struggle.
probably best to get Jazz Musicians to play a Jazz tune.

it's not Jim Roberts favorite either, I should dig out a review from Bass Player mag.

[quote name='chrisba' post='371684' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:10 AM']I like Moondance, sorry. Now that you have pointed it out, the bassline is messy, but I hadn't noticed it before.[/quote]

And the piano solo sounds as though the old dear down at the WI is playing it.

I think the album version has a kind of late-night live performance feel to it, not studio tight. If I heard it played exactly like that after midnight in a smoky bar, I'd have been blown away.

Not perfect, just music.

About as tight as <what's the opposite of a gnat's chuff ?>

Ha ha I never ever play it like the record, prefering some double stopped chord slides for the verse and then I can swing the other bit ..
Still, the man that brought you that also brought you this bit of PinkFloyd-icide

:)

I don't really have a ban on this or Brown Eyed girl, I'd just prefer to play other things, even other Van Morrison things ....