Why become a member? ×

Spector NS Euro 6

Kiwi

See the Celinder for sale thread for the background to this sale.

This bass was one of the Sound Control bargains. I know that the price these things are being sold on at has totally undermined the value of used Spectors in the UK but there we go. This bass has been my main gigging instrument since I sold on the Smiths. Nice chunky neck with relatively close string spacing, oodles of midrange mean its always easy to hear yourself in the mix. The bass has an all maple neck and the classic alder/walnut/exotic top sandwiched body wings. Six stringed Euros are uncommon, euro's with this kind of spalted maple top even more so. I like this bass more than I liked my Smith 6 for versatility.

At the moment it has a John East U Retro with the same frequency settings as the MM pre plus mid sweep. Handy bit of kit but I might end up replacing it with the original preamp if there's insufficient interest, and sell the u-retro separately (or keep it for the forseeable.)

Offers please? I've had a trade offer on a Spector NS5CR but I'd prefer cash if possible.

Wow, that bass looks totally awesome!!!! I can't imagine what it's worth, or what you are hoping to get for it, but I'm darned sure it's more than I have spare right now. Every time I see a six string I feel tempted to have a go, but my brain screams Nooooooooo, bad idea! having said that I'm positively palpitating at the look of that bass.

Out of interest, if you are not keen to print a price in the thread, could you PM me with how much you consider selling for - just to put me out of my misery when i know that I couldn't get that much together ...........

....just come back from playing this bass and I must say it's a fantastic instrument. The pre-amp makes it particularly versatile in terms of available tones and the spalt top looks better in real life.

I am sorely tempted so if anyone is thinking about it you'll need to be quick.....

[quote name='Golchen' post='421459' date='Feb 28 2009, 01:00 AM']Wow, that bass looks totally awesome!!!! I can't imagine what it's worth, or what you are hoping to get for it, but I'm darned sure it's more than I have spare right now. Every time I see a six string I feel tempted to have a go, but my brain screams Nooooooooo, bad idea! having said that I'm positively palpitating at the look of that bass.

Out of interest, if you are not keen to print a price in the thread, could you PM me with how much you consider selling for - just to put me out of my misery when i know that I couldn't get that much together ...........[/quote]

Depends on how much he paid. They went for £599 in a Reverb clearance, which is daylight robbery, but in this condition it's still worth paying between £850 and £1000 for a used instrument. If you wanted one pre clearance and before the recession, brand new they'd be about £1400ish and this looks to be in startling condition so...go get a loan!

Edited by Dan_Nailed

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='422802' date='Mar 2 2009, 12:39 AM']Depends on how much he paid. They went for £599 in a Reverb clearance, which is daylight robbery, but in this condition it's still worth paying between £850 and £1000 for a used instrument. If you wanted one pre clearance and before the recession, brand new they'd be about £1400ish and this looks to be in startling condition so...go get a loan![/quote]

1400? :) For a 6-string? Sounds a bit low in my ears.
Some models in the Euro series are quite cheap but the 6-string is a bit more expensive as shown.
AND this one has another (better?) preamp.

Euro4LX Doug 4 34"  Alder with Top EMG P EMG J Spector TonePump! $3,199.00
Euro4LX Ian 4 34"  Alder with Top EMG P EMG J Spector TonePump! $2,699.00
Euro4LX Classic 4 34"  Alder with Top EMG P EMG J Spector TonePump! $2,699.00
Euro4LX TW 4 34"  Alder with Top EMG 35TW EMG 35TW Spector TonePump! $2,799.00
Euro5LX 5 35"  Alder with Top EMG 40TW EMG 40TW Spector TonePump! $2,899.00
[b]Euro6LX 6 35"  Alder with Top EMG 45TW EMG 45TW Spector TonePump! $3,599.00[/b]

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='422802' date='Mar 1 2009, 11:39 PM']this looks to be in startling condition so...go get a loan![/quote]
FWIW were it not for a tiny, shallow, stone chip size ding on the upper bout, this bass would be mint.

[quote name='JensWest' post='422833' date='Mar 2 2009, 12:23 AM']1400? :) For a 6-string? Sounds a bit low in my ears.
Some models in the Euro series are quite cheap but the 6-string is a bit more expensive as shown.
AND this one has another (better?) preamp.

Euro4LX Doug 4 34"  Alder with Top EMG P EMG J Spector TonePump! $3,199.00
Euro4LX Ian 4 34"  Alder with Top EMG P EMG J Spector TonePump! $2,699.00
Euro4LX Classic 4 34"  Alder with Top EMG P EMG J Spector TonePump! $2,699.00
Euro4LX TW 4 34"  Alder with Top EMG 35TW EMG 35TW Spector TonePump! $2,799.00
Euro5LX 5 35"  Alder with Top EMG 40TW EMG 40TW Spector TonePump! $2,899.00
[b]Euro6LX 6 35"  Alder with Top EMG 45TW EMG 45TW Spector TonePump! $3,599.00[/b][/quote]

That's the new price list, twin EMG TW's and after a price hike. This bass is first-generation and was only about $500 more expensive than a 5 string at the time of release. Euro 5's used to hover around £1100-£1200 and these were around £1400 at the time.

Also re: the new preamp, it could be a positive or negative thing depending on your tastes.

Edited by Dan_Nailed

thanks again chaps :)

I've given things some thought and I'll take trades on a Roland V-bass and/or an Alembic F-2b preamp (if anyone out there actually has one!) plus cash adjustment.

I'll also take a low action Spector Euro 5 (if the top is particularly attractive maple) in exchange with modest cash allowance in my favour. The original Tone Pump preamp will be chucked in for free.

If it was a 5, I would probably be hanging on to it :)

In addition to

Roland V-bass
Alembic F-2B preamp

I'm also interested in:

8u rack (can be a frame rather than a case) to house various bits of rackmounted studio kit
Sandberg Basic or Ken Taylor 5 (esp in blueburst)
87-90 Musicman Stingray 5 or any Stingray 5 with a graphite neck
Yamaha BB-NEII any other good quality workhorse 5 string (not Fenders, Warwicks or other Yamahas though, thanks)
Fender Super Champ or any other Riviera-era Fender 1x12 guitar combo
Burman Pro501 1x12 combo

Here's a BUMPer picture of this amazing instrument. I had the honour of warming the bass up before CK refined it. It really is a great bass, and Steve's a great guy to deal with. Such a rarity, this beast. Woods like these don't grow on trees y'know :) (gets my coat and sneaks out of this thread pronto)

• 1 month later...

BUMP for this thread because its still available. I've got my mind set on a funky sounding 5 string of some description (no jazz basses please).

I have a Burman Pro501 combo at last (thanks to WoT) and the Alembic F-2B seems overpriced for what it is so the trade bait list needs updating:

2 channel valve eq (like [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120364626157"]this[/url] by TL Audio)
Yamaha BB-NEII any other good quality workhorse 5 string (not Fenders, Warwicks or other Yamahas though, thanks)
Status Series 5000 or other graphite necked headless Status 5 string.

Particularly gassing for that Yamaha BB-NEII, it would fit the bill perfectly (or even a BB5000 :) ).

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='460616' date='Apr 12 2009, 03:47 PM']BUMP for this thread because its still available. I've got my mind set on a funky sounding 5 string of some description (no jazz basses please).

I have a Burman Pro501 combo at last (thanks to WoT) and the Alembic F-2B seems overpriced for what it is so the trade bait list needs updating:

2 channel valve eq (like [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120364626157"]this[/url] by TL Audio)
Status Series 5000 or other graphite necked headless Status 5 string.

Particularly gassing for that Yamaha BB-NEII, it would fit the bill perfectly (or even a BB5000 :) ).[/quote]

i have a spector performer 5 (Born 2B mild's old one) which sounds pretty damn good...that and about 500-550 of your earth pounds if you are interested.

Edited by Crazykiwi

[quote name='dudewheresmybass89' post='460692' date='Apr 12 2009, 06:36 PM']i have a spector performer 5 (Born 2B mild's old one) which sounds pretty damn good...that and about 500-550 of your earth pounds if you are interested.[/quote]
Thanks mate but its probably not what I'm looking for at the mo.

Rob - yeah, bad timing huh? :)