Why become a member? ×

Any one used/heard the new Orange Bass Terror yet

Funkmaster

Just interested in views really.

500 or 1000 watt versions have been advertised with some 'interesting' cabs with speakers monunted on e in front of the other. The wattage output seems fairly bonkers to me having used GK MB150's which seem to compete 'adequately' for everything I use them for.

Used to use Orange Grphic 120's back in the day and loved them.. But I'm not loving the GK MB stuff at the moment. Might be worth a look at something new!

Ah - you're serious then , Dave. You sure did have an issue or 2 with the MB last Friday. Odd because I've heard you use it many times problem free.

After our chat I've been searching 'Orange Terror' all over t'internet and I'd be inerested to hear of any frst hand use too.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='555401' date='Jul 29 2009, 06:16 PM']Ah - you're serious then , Dave. You sure did have an issue or 2 with the MB last Friday. Odd because I've heard you use it many times problem free.

After our chat I've been searching 'Orange Terror' all over t'internet and I'd be inerested to hear of any frst hand use too.[/quote]

Yeah it was an odd night.

From my ears the GK stuff just seems to be 'lacking' something - dynamics or something. But anything would have to to be bloody good to encourage me to swap.

Electro do the guitar version, so I'm guessing... Might make a trip over there. Sadly thought it'll be after Colne before I have chance.

Hope your trip goes well this weekend. Bit of sunshine too - nice!

I emailed Orange asking if I could test one on tour. As yet, the 500 is not out, and the 1000 is still going through testing. Their marketing is working though; most bassists seem interested. I can't wait to be fair.

I'm not sure the new cabs are to my tastes, but i'm sure a test will reveal this. If they do sound good, i'll be after a 2x12. If not, I'll be using my 1x15 for small gigs with the Bass Terror. The 1000 version might be overkill for me...unless its like the Shuttlemax with two sides of amp inside.

Apparently both Terror's have an ohm switch!

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Funkmaster' post='555409' date='Jul 29 2009, 06:26 PM']Hope your trip goes well this weekend. Bit of sunshine too - nice![/quote]

Blacked out people carrier waiting at the airport - Ampeg SVT and an 8x10 - bikini clad strumpets (law of averages says at least some of them must have a 'daddy' complex) and all the 5 star nosebag I can trough ..........I'll manage mate , thanks !!!!!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='555513' date='Jul 29 2009, 07:58 PM']Blacked out people carrier waiting at the airport - Ampeg SVT and an 8x10 - bikini clad strumpets (law of averages says at least some of them must have a 'daddy' complex) and all the 5 star nosebag I can trough ..........I'll manage mate , thanks !!!!![/quote]

Ah the joys of touring!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='555662' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:13 PM']The isobaric cabs should agree nicely with the huge wattage. There aren't very sensitive but have lots of bottom for a small size (if you like your cabs they way I like my ladies).

Damn, I sound like a sleazy Claber.[/quote]

Even more interested now!

Edited by Funkmaster

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='555662' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:13 PM']The isobaric cabs should agree nicely with the huge wattage. There aren't very sensitive but have lots of bottom for a small size (if you like your cabs they way I like my ladies).[/quote]

Problem with the isobaric designs is that they're still going to be limited by the excursion limited output of the drivers on the outside. So the 2x10" will only be able to move as much air as a 1x10" and the 4x10" will only be like a 2x10" in terms of maximum fatness at gigging volume. Maybe I'm being too harsh but it strikes me as design by the marketing department - more watts and more drivers equals more better. But in reality, not.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='556033' date='Jul 30 2009, 11:47 AM']Problem with the isobaric designs is that they're still going to be limited by the excursion limited output of the drivers on the outside. So the 2x10" will only be able to move as much air as a 1x10" and the 4x10" will only be like a 2x10" in terms of maximum fatness at gigging volume. Maybe I'm being too harsh but it strikes me as design by the marketing department - more watts and more drivers equals more better. But in reality, not.

Alex[/quote]

I can see exactly what you mean. This is why i'm not 100% on them...depends what they actually sound like in a band situation.

From a PM discussion: "[re:] orange: Can I ask that on the forum for a public answer? It looks like a neat small 2x12 so whats the problem? Si"

Here's the problem: Three things limit the output of a bass cab - thermal power handling and sensitivity (in unison), and speaker volume displacement (excursion x area). A 2x12" isobaric cab will have twice the power handling of a 1x12", however it will be 6dB lower in sensitivity. So the thermally limited output of a 2x12" isobaric is 3dB less than a 1x12" standard. And thus the thermally limited output of a 2x12" isobaric is 9dB less than a 2x12" standard.

Then we come to excursion limited output - in a 2x12" isobaric only one of the 12" drivers is exposed to the outside so it has exactly the same excursion limited output as a standard 1x12".

Bear in mind that a 2x12" isobaric will have half the internal volume of a 1x12" standard - clearly a good thing. But once you add the extra speaker, and the chamber between the two speakers and the fact that making the internal volume smaller means making the port bigger, I doubt that the Orange 2x12" will be any smaller than a 1x12". And the 1x12" will beat it on every front - lighter, roughly the same size, same frequency response and so much extra sensitivity that the 2x12"s thermal power handling advantage is more than nullified.

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

Ampeg built isobaric cabs and they flopped. As Alex says, there are no benefits that outweigh the drawbacks. If you've got any money to spend on these cabs give it to me. I have much more sensible things on my shopping list!

[quote name='chris_b' post='556988' date='Jul 31 2009, 11:46 AM']Ampeg built isobaric cabs and they flopped. As Alex says, there are no benefits that outweigh the drawbacks. If you've got any money to spend on these cabs give it to me. I have much more sensible things on my shopping list![/quote]

Or, buy the Isolvent cab anyway, and give it to me. They are 'Foom as Duck'.