Why become a member? ×

Kay through-neck bass *** SOLD ***

silverfoxnik

[b]*** SOLD ***

Thanks for the interest![/b]

Hi Folks

[b]Price now reduced to £70.00 + p&p[/b]

Am having a real clear out at the moment and working on improving my rig, so as a result I have this [i]old but good[/i][b] Kay Bass[/b] for sale if anyone's interested.. Not exactly sure how old it is but my guess would be [b]1980[/b]'s??

[attachment=29929:Jul_28_2009_004.jpg] [attachment=29930:Jul_28_2009_005.jpg] [attachment=29931:Jul_28_2009_006.jpg]

This is the second one of these basses I've owned over the last few years.. I had one 3 years ago and sold it; regretted it and then bought this one recently on Ebay for £77.. As with a lot of these impulse Ebay purchases, it's done with the best of intentions (or so I tell myself)..you know, do a bit of restoration work, change the pick ups, etc, etc.. But in all honesty, I very rarely get around to doing that sort of stuff and I should really know better by now!

[attachment=29932:Jul_28_2009_007.jpg] [attachment=29933:Jul_28_2009_008.jpg] [attachment=29934:Jul_28_2009_010.jpg]

Having said that about my own failings, the bass itself isn't too bad and I think it would be worth doing the work to be honest because the basic [b]build quality[/b] is pretty good! So, if someone fancies a bit of a project, there's a potentially very nice little bass in the offing for not much money.. On the upside, the bass has had a [b]brass nut[/b] fitted and the [b]inlays[/b] on the neck are quite a good feature, plus the [b]through neck design[/b] certainly adds to the tone and sustain... On the downside, the pick ups aren't original and it could do with a decent [b]set-up[/b], plus it was at one time, completely painted over in pink!! Though I'm happy to say that the last owner restored it to this natural finish, which is quite pleasing to my eye at least..

[attachment=29935:Jul_28_2009_011.jpg] [attachment=29936:Jul_28_2009_012.jpg] [attachment=29937:Jul_28_2009_013.jpg] [attachment=29938:Jul_28_2009_014.jpg]

It actually[b] sounds pretty good[/b] - quite thumpy and [b]P-Bass[/b] like at one end of the scale and quite [b]clangy and punky[/b] at the other end, when you mix in both pick ups! One thing it could definitely benefit from though, is some [b]shielding[/b], as the bridge pick up is quite noisy! One thing to point out is that it is [b]NOT a short-scale bass[/b]; it is definitely [b]34" scale[/b]! However, the body is quite small which makes it look and feel like a short-scale bass..

I'm looking to get back what I paid for it really which was about £90 including the postage, so [b]£75[/b] + p&p would be fine!! I'm [b]happy to ship[/b] it to anywhere really and though it hasn't got a gig bag or case, I will make sure it is [b]very well packed[/b] for the journey! Of course, anyone more local who's interested is [b]very welcome[/b] to come and try it first.. Any questions, please send me a PM or ask away here and I'll do my best to answer them..

Thanks for looking !

Nik

Edited by silverfoxnik

Probably won't come as any great surprise when I say I've had one of these - quite nice it was too. Not Japanese - these are actually Korean, made by Cort around 1980, and about as good quality as comparable JapCrap.

Probably the worst problem with mine was an unadjustably high action, down to the fretboard basically being so low it was impossible to lower the saddles far enough. Obviously the through neck means you can't shim it, so the only fix would have been to lower the whole bridge by routing underneath it. It did look & sound good, though, and I'd like to pick up another one day.

Regrettably it won't be this one - an hour or two ago I impulsively pulled the trigger on a Westbury Track II project. Will I ever learn? Will I 'eck as like.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='555794' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:46 AM']Probably won't come as any great surprise when I say I've had one of these - quite nice it was too. Not Japanese - these are actually Korean, made by Cort around 1980, and about as good quality as comparable JapCrap.

Probably the worst problem with mine was an unadjustably high action, down to the fretboard basically being so low it was impossible to lower the saddles far enough. Obviously the through neck means you can't shim it, so the only fix would have been to lower the whole bridge by routing underneath it. It did look & sound good, though, and I'd like to pick up another one day.

Regrettably it won't be this one - an hour or two ago I impulsively pulled the trigger on a Westbury Track II project. Will I ever learn? Will I 'eck as like.

Jon.[/quote]

:)

And no, not a suprise! Good luck with the Westone project..

In the meantime, thanks for stopping by Jon; I was hoping you'd be able to help fill in some detail on the history & background of these basses.. Luckily, the action on this one is pretty good thankfully and there's still quite a lot of play left in the saddles to take it down even further if required.

I agree - they do sound quite good and I've always liked a P/J pick up configuration personally...

That's good to hear about the action. These really are pretty basses with some lovely detailing, like the triple dot brass inlays on the fretboard.

This is a very good price too IMO - I sold mine for about twice that, high action an' all!

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='555925' date='Jul 30 2009, 10:23 AM']That's good to hear about the action. These really are pretty basses with some lovely detailing, like the triple dot brass inlays on the fretboard.

This is a very good price too IMO - I sold mine for about twice that, high action an' all!

J.[/quote]
Thanks Jon!

[quote name='Zach' post='555981' date='Jul 30 2009, 11:04 AM']what's the balance like with a body that small? I'm trying to find reasons to not spend more of my student loan :)[/quote]
It's not that bad actually, but then I use a Wal Pro which is famously neck-heavy, so I'm probably not the best person to ask!

Hold on... Just tried it again; the bass does tend to have a little bit of neck dive but the easy way to counter that would be to move the position of the strap pin/button..

Hope that helps!

I really shouldn't, but I am interested in this - however one thing worries me a touch about the Brass nut, as from the pics it looks like there are barely any slots in it and the strings are sort of sitting on top. Is this the case?

Thanks!
James

[quote name='Moos3h' post='556191' date='Jul 30 2009, 02:22 PM']I really shouldn't, but I am interested in this - however one thing worries me a touch about the Brass nut, as from the pics it looks like there are barely any slots in it and the strings are sort of sitting on top. Is this the case?

Thanks!
James[/quote]

That's how mine was. It wasn't a problem, or not one that I noticed.

[quote name='Moos3h' post='556191' date='Jul 30 2009, 02:22 PM']I really shouldn't, but I am interested in this - however one thing worries me a touch about the Brass nut, as from the pics it looks like there are barely any slots in it and the strings are sort of sitting on top. Is this the case?

Thanks!
James[/quote]
Hi James

No, it's not the case. The grooves for the strings to sit in are very well defined.. Here's a couple of pictures which I hope will show you what it's like:

[attachment=30005:Jul_28_2009_001.jpg] [attachment=30006:Jul_28_2009_002.jpg]

Thanks for the other positive comments guys!

Nik

Edited by silverfoxnik

[quote name='99ster' post='561073' date='Aug 5 2009, 12:23 PM']Crikey - that brings back some memories - I definitely used to have one of these...
Bought it new some time in the 1980's.
Ahhhh.... Golden days!
Have a bump on me!
:rolleyes:[/quote]
Thanks! Glad to be of service... :)

• 2 months later...

[b]3rd BUMP for price reduction to £70.00 ono + p&p[/b] :)

Thought I'd BUMP this up to see if anyone's interested before I put it on Ebay?

Also thought it would help if I included this quote from silddx who had a play on the bass at the SE Bash earlier this month:

[quote name='silddx' post='622672' date='Oct 10 2009, 07:46 PM']Absolutely wickid day! Wonderful meeting so many cool people. There was some seriously high end kit there as well as HappyJack's £75 Kay, which was the surprise of the day for me, a great bass![/quote]

Silddx thought it belonged to Happy Jack as it was in The Quiet Room where Jack was most of the day.. so it was nice to get an unexpected endorsement for this bass from someone who knows a good bass when he plays one... :rolleyes:

[quote name='Chris V.' post='638998' date='Oct 28 2009, 12:40 PM']I'm very interested in this!

I'm in Exeter - post code is EX4 4PF, so if you could check postage prices that would be great.[/quote]
Hi Chris,

OK, cool..will do. I guess it'll be between £10 and £14 depending on which courier is used.. Do you have any preference on which company to use?

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='639014' date='Oct 28 2009, 01:53 PM']Hi Chris,

OK, cool..will do. I guess it'll be between £10 and £14 depending on which courier is used.. Do you have any preference on which company to use?

Nik[/quote]

Hey Nik,

No, I have no idea what company is best. I only just moved back to England 4 or 5 weeks ago. I expect you'll have more experience than I do!

Thanks,
Chris