Why become a member? ×

MTD 535

Gwilym

So I picked this up a few months back. Should have had it back in January but the previous owner decided to keep it. I jumped on it when it came up again. Luckily at the time the exchange rates were heading back in my favour too.
Currently this is my only bass..... well, it's my only bass in New York anyway :)

Pictures are courtesy of the previous owner, as I don't have a camera at the moment. I'll try to record some sound clips when I can, and post them up here too.

I love the simple understated looks, in comparison to most MTDs. It has an ash body, maple neck and board. Sounds wicked. I really like these basses, and even more so knowing what a cool guy Mike Tobias is - he's always been very helpful and very quick replying to e-mails etc.

[attachment=33174:i4.photo...lbass002.jpg][attachment=33175:i4.photo...lbass004.jpg]

[quote name='chris_b' post='603627' date='Sep 20 2009, 02:34 PM']Nice bass. What tone do you get with ash and maple? Bright and punchy? Deep and thumpy?[/quote]

naturally bright and punchy I think with everything flat, although you can get a very decent deep and thumpy P bass sound too if you eq it right. pretty versatile basses IMO. It's less "hi-fi" than the wenge necked ones, but even with those you can get a decent vintage tone IME.
I put some nickel strings on my other wenge necked MTD, and through my F500 into ACME B2, it never sounded better. I think that cab seems to really complement the the MTD "full-range" tone. With hindsight I think other cabs I've had have sounded too scooped in the mids. The nickel strings slightly warm up the tone by taming the natural brightness a bit. Plus, unbeliveably, the ACME kicks out like a 2x15 stack, not as loud, but the tone is there - sweet! :)