Why become a member? ×

Squier CV Jazz vs Fender Am.Std.Jazz

OutToPlayJazz

[font="Tahoma"]There have been so many threads about the Classic Vibe jazz now that I decided to do a straight comparison with my 09 American Standard Jazz to see how it shaped up...

Firstly, I'm going to make a very bold statement. [/font]

[i][b][font="Tahoma"]The Classic Vibe Jazz is probably the most consistently high quality product to come out of the Fender corporation for years...[/font][/b][/i]

[font="Tahoma"]Here're the two basses. My American Standard Jazz at full RRP would cost not far off £1200 new. The Squier Classic Vibe at full retail at the moment is around £370. What I was most interested to find out was where the extra £800 goes on an American Standard.[/font]

[font="Tahoma"]The Am.Std body is made from the usual Alder with a thinner undercoat in order to let more of the vibration through, apparently. The upside is that you can see the grain of the wood through some of the finishes. The CV is made from cheaper basswood (and is none less resonant for it!) and is painted/glossed with a poly finish. Bridges are both new "high mass" designs. The new Fender unit is a little smaller (in the vintage style), has the ceramic saddle parts & of course caters for through body stringing. The larger CV bridge is adorned with hard-wearing looking brass saddles & seems to work very well in execution, with equally great sustain & tuning stability.

Both basses' necks are maple, the Am.Std's being flawlessly finished in a satin lacquer with a gentle ageing tint & the CV's being further tinted and gloss finished. I for one don't mind glossed necks at all. All of my Status basses have glossed graphite necks & my ACG is also glossed. In a way this finish always makes a bass feel more expensive. Grains in the maple are visible on both instruments & the Fender's glossed maple fingerboard is especially fetching. The Fender sports the usual medium-jumbo frets, while the CV has much narrower vintage frets. Both fretting jobs are of suitably high quality.[/font]

[font="Tahoma"]The only other real difference is in the tuners. The Fender's are the new lightened Hipshot tuners (apparently 30% lighter than their predecessors on the S1 model) and have a real quality feel to the chrome finishing. The Squier tuners also have upgraded chrome and feel suitably expensive, but obviously not quite in the same quality league.
[/font]

[font="Tahoma"]Neck pocket fit on the Fender is excellent & the Squier even keeps up in this respect, too. This is what constantly impresses with the Squier. It just doesn't feel like a cheap bass.
[/font]

[font="Tahoma"]Sound-wise, the Fender has all the typical Jazz "growl" you're ever going to want. The same goes for the Squier. It has that classic Jazz sound that some seem to search for endlessly in other instruments. Both are silent and hum free & both have an excellent "scopped" style sound with plenty of bright and low to go around. If I'm to get really clinical, the American Jazz (in the case of these two particular instruments) is a little smoother and sophisticated sounding, but that could be down to the 40-100 DR Fatbeams it's running on at the moment. The Squier is on 40-100 Rotosounds for the time being and sounds huge, bright & punchy.

Both instruments sound amazing through the Sadowsky preamp as well. Instant "super-jazz" results from both.

So at the end of the day we all know that some of the materials on the American instrument are going to be superior, but the whole point of this exercise is to show that the Squier CV Jazz feels and sounds so good & by no means does it feel £800 cheaper than it's US cousin. Just goes to show how much goes on the American workers' healthcare plans and pensions :)

If you haven't played one of these yet, make sure you do. The powers that be at Corona aren't going to let this young upstart be this good for too long. Perhaps in twenty-thirty years we'll all be talking of these instruments in the same breath as the much fabled JV model Squiers of the early 80's.

Incidentally, the Squier CV Jazz bass in the pictures here is the fifth example I've tried around the country. The quality control on these Chinese instruments is very, very good and consistently even across different batches.

So perhaps my earlier quote at the top of this post is quite apt...
[/font]

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

My brother spake the truth!

Nice comparitive review there mate - I fully agree with you, being an owner of both the CV Jazz and 50's Precision. In fact, I'm off to Birmingham tomorrow and if I find one, will probably purchase the CV 60's Precision in daphne blue! Then they will be sealed in my time pod and sold off (as you say!) 25 years from now for a small fortune!

Nick

In agreement with the review here too. Just bought a CV 60's Jazz, and it sets up beautifully and sounds extremely good. Not even 'for the money' - it just sounds plain great. I don't think that Fender can keep letting instruments like this come out of China - what's the point of paying more for MIM etc?

I'm surprised by the resonance and tone of basswood also. My new favourite tonewood!

The neck relief out of the box was perfect for me - i.e. hardly any, about 0.06" (I have a very light touch). The action out of the box was great too. Just took it down from 5/64" on E and 4/64" on G to 4/64" and 3/64" respectively (measured at the 12th fret with a capo at the 1st fret). I also checked the nut slot height - the nut seems cut well (in fact, a bit lower than I have seen it on other instruments - it was 0.006" at the E string 1st fret and 0.003" at the G string 1st fret, all measured with a capo on the 3rd fret) - and it doesn't buzz out in the first position. Didn't need to adjust pickup height, it was great.

The 45 - 105 nickel strings it comes with seem well suited to the instrument, although they are a slightly heavier gauge than what I'm used to, and a bit stiffer in feel. I'll wear 'em out and change later.

All told, a superb instrument. Not [i]quite[/i] the same feel/fit class as the Skyline Laklands, but very good.

I picked up mine from Red Dog Music in Edinburgh, knocked them down to £250 from £300 (just asked them to price match [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com[/url], easy as pie).

It's so cheap I can't believe I agonised over spending the cash. A quality Fender at a knock-down price.

[s][b]EDIT:[/b] Whoops, mucked up the string gauges. The strings on it are Fender Nickel-Plated Steel Hex-Core Roundwound 7250ML: gauges are [i][b]100 - 80 - 65 - 45[/i][/b], not 105 - 45 as I said before. But, the more I play them, the more I feel they suit the instrument. Might try some Sunbeams on it at some point - I like the feel of the round cores - but wear out these first I think.[/s]

[b]EDIT 2 and Update:[/b] After considerable research, it turns out the stock strings on these basses are not the Fender 7250ML as shown on the Squier website, but in fact D'Addario XL Nickels, 45 - 105. The coloured string ball ends helped solve the riddle. I love the Fender strings, but I think I may love the D'Addarios more.

Edited by funkle

I agree entirely, Funkle... I A/B'd the Vibe against a new MIM Jazz (the Lake Placid blue/maple one) & the MIM couldn't get close to the quality feel and sound of the Chinese bass. And they were both new out of the box a day earlier.

I've now set mine up on some recently oven baked (don't ask!) DR Fatbeams & the sound is exactly what I want from a Jazz bass. The Vibe will be my pit bass for the pantomime in Sheffield, as it'll be left daily at the theatre. Not a fate I'd leave my more expensive instruments to!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='623211' date='Oct 11 2009, 04:32 PM']I agree entirely, Funkle... I A/B'd the Vibe against a new MIM Jazz (the Lake Placid blue/maple one) & the MIM couldn't get close to the quality feel and sound of the Chinese bass. And they were both new out of the box a day earlier.

I've now set mine up on some recently oven baked (don't ask!) DR Fatbeams & the sound is exactly what I want from a Jazz bass. The Vibe will be my pit bass for the pantomime in Sheffield, as it'll be left daily at the theatre. Not a fate I'd leave my more expensive instruments to![/quote]

I leave my Vigier in the pit....!!!

I'm now gassing for the Roadworn Jazz in fiesta red - went to PMT in Birmingham to pick up my new Zoom HD16 digital multitracker (its time I got into home recording) and fell in love!!! Custom shop quality for just under a grand!

• 1 month later...

Brief update.

The Squier CV has completely taken over from my Lakland DJ4.

I tried the Squier out with DR sunbeams 40-100. but the Sunbeams were incredibly bright and mid-scooped. Still sounded like a Jazz, but not 'classic' anymore. Lovely feel though - the tension feel was very supple. I played a lot recently to deaden the strings, but they remained very pingy and bright. So - off they came.

Instead, I ordered the Fender 7250L NPS set - 40-100 - [u]perfect[/u] Jazz tone. Just perfect. Lovely bridge honk (but with the tone knob rolled off a bit, nice bit of bass prominent also), the mid scoop of having both pickups fully on, and pleasant hollowness from the front pickup solo'd. The mids and warmth of these strings is just right on this instrument. Nice feel too, with the lighter D/G strings lending a lower tension feel than the stock strings.

You have to hand it to Fender - this is a great bass, and even comes loaded with great strings.

Now, I need to stifle my GAS for the James Johnston version - I love blue!

[quote name='redstriper' post='655428' date='Nov 15 2009, 09:04 PM']Thanks for the review.

I'm seriously conidering one of the CV basses and will try them as soon as I can.
Just a couple of questions please -
How much does the CV weigh compared to the American Fender.
Also, are there any dead spots ?

Thanks again,
Steve.[/quote]

No dead spots on mine.
Weighs 9.5 lbs. Not sure about what the American Fender weighs - cue Rich...

Pete

[quote name='redstriper' post='655428' date='Nov 15 2009, 09:04 PM']How much does the CV weigh compared to the American Fender.
Also, are there any dead spots ?[/quote]

[quote name='funkle' post='655452' date='Nov 15 2009, 09:36 PM']No dead spots on mine.
Weighs 9.5 lbs.[/quote]
My CV Jazz is 9lbs 4oz. No dead spots.

[quote name='funkle' post='655409' date='Nov 15 2009, 08:39 PM']The Squier CV has completely taken over from my Lakland DJ4.[/quote]
I've been at a weekend jam all day yesterday and today. I played my fretless P when needed for the song but other than that I played my Lakland only a couple of times - it was Squier all the way. And I'm not even much of a Jazz bass fan usually.

These are definitely cracking basses.

I've got mine wearing Pyramid Black Nylon Tapes.

ive just got myself one of these and i'm VERY pleased, great feel, great sound, only had to do the minimal tweaking of the neck and bridge saddles to get it the way i like it! IMO just as good as any mex jazz ive owned and i'd stick my neck on the line and say its on a par with some of the US jazzes ive played! Great stuff Fender - keep it up!!!

Whaddya mean no deadspots - that can't be right, all my basses have deadspots.

mmmmmm.................

You can buy a Squier CV jazz, CV 60s precision and a VM fretless jazz and get all 3 for less than the price of one American Standard Fender and you might even get a CV 50s precision thrown in !

mmmmmmmmm............................

A shame the CV's don't seem to be any lighter than 'standard'. I was hoping that they would be, given that they're basswood. Initial reviews I read claimed this and I've been craving one ever since the loss of my beloved '83 JV Squier jazz, exactly the same colouring as the CV Jazz, which does not help my GAS in the least.

Pass, previous to that i had a go on one around at our drummers house. That also felt lighter than my VM squier, so it was a bit of a relief to find a heavier one with a bit more tone out the. When it comes to me buying a CV i'll make sure its not a lightweight one.