Why become a member? ×

My Life In Bass

alanbass1

Well, I was 14 (back in '75) and although played guitar (had a Jedson Les Paul copy) got into my first band who was looking for a bass player. My dad couldn't afford a new bass but had a friend who bought a bass back in the '60's. So I got this, although I was really jealous of my friend who had a shiny new Shaftsbury Rick copy - and being a Yes fan boy was I jealous.

Anyhow, I had this old '62 Fender that dad got me (complete with a strap that screwed onto the back and let the bass spin!). Still got it and it's been round the world with me, all original and unmolested.

Edited by alanbass1

So, toward the end of the 70'S I got into touring and needed a second bass. I was looking out for a second P bass and came across a Musicman Stingray. I instantly fell in love with the sound and the neck felt familiar so this too followed me around the world. It's also the lightest Stingray I have ever played - very comfy.

Well, I did a good seven years on the road and then got a proper job. In the 90's got back into playing with a band for fun and in the 000's picked up a Warwick from the Bass Centre when it was still in Wapping. They had a few but this one had something the others lacked...can't explain but it is a real nice bass.

I've always been a Mark King fan, although could never play that style. But what the heck, I ordered this from Rob Green and asked him to put on a matching back, I believe the only one he's done like this - also got pretty green lights:

Edited by alanbass1

Been trying to get into 5 string and bought a Spector NS5XL Redwood from Molan. But along came Greeneking with the bass of my childhood hero, and the chance to get rid of my childhood agony of seeing my friend with his Shaftbury! So a trade was swiftly done. I have since passed on my Greeneking acquired 4001CS. But before I did I picked up Stacker's CS:

[IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m187/alanbass1/Bass%20Collection/RickenbackerCS2Full.jpg[/IMG]

But I got a picture of them together first:

Edited by alanbass1

So, after trying several times I can confirm that I'm a four string man through and through, as such I traded my Clover for that 'special' Jazz I have been looking for for an awfully long time, it's a Custom Shop '64 with a Brazilian Rosewood 'board...

Edited by alanbass1

Here's some that I let go on the way:

My first 4001CS that I got from Greeneking now resides with Dusty:

And the Wal which was going to be the one, but I just didn't play it over my Thumb Bass:

[IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m187/alanbass1/Bass%20Collection/Full.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by alanbass1

Some others that got away....

Biggest regret getting rid of my Alembic:

A couple of Sadowsky\'s:

The NYC:

And a Metro:

I got this Iceni Zoot made. Eventually it came out OK but had serious issues with the builder which put me off the bass, shame really:

I also had a \'63 P bass for a time, but my \'62 was so much better so I let this one go:

Well, after many years of childhood anguish I finally got a Rick this year from Peter Cookes. But then came along the CS and it had to go!!!!

The Spector NS5 that was the gateway to the Ricky CS:

The Celinder Jazz Update that I traded with Molan to get the Maple Neck 72 P Bass - a very nice \'very Marcus Miller\' bass but I really want an old passive jazz.

And in my search for that \'special\' fretless I have owned, and let go:

A \'77 Stingray:

and a Wal:

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='alanbass1' post='652584' date='Nov 12 2009, 01:05 PM']Well, I was 14 (back in '75) and although played guitar (had a Jedson Les Paul copy) got into my first band who was looking for a bass player. My dad couldn't afford a new bass but had a friend who bought a bass back in the '60's. So I got this, although I was really jealous of my friend who had a shiny new Shaftsbury Rick copy - and being a Yes fan boy was I jealous.

Anyhow, I had this old '62 Fender that dad got me (complete with a strap that screwed onto the back and let the bass spin!). Still got it and it's been round the world with me, all original and unmolested.

[/quote]
:wub: :wub: :wub:

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='652967' date='Nov 12 2009, 07:55 PM']Some awesome basses there, esp. the Wal and the Thumb

What issues did the Zoot have?
Would like to know as it currently resides at lemmywinks towers![/quote]

As I said it turned out quite a nice bass (eventually) but not worth the two grand I paid. I think the pre amp let's it down. But my experience with the maker was what turned me off the bass and why I offloaded it. I was angry at the time and wrote the following review on Harmony Central:

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Iceni/Zootbass+Custom+Shop/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...ustom+Shop/10/1[/url]

[quote name='alanbass1' post='653333' date='Nov 13 2009, 08:38 AM']As I said it turned out quite a nice bass (eventually) but not worth the two grand I paid. I think the pre amp let's it down. But my experience with the maker was what turned me off the bass and why I offloaded it. I was angry at the time and wrote the following review on Harmony Central:

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Iceni/Zootbass+Custom+Shop/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...ustom+Shop/10/1[/url][/quote]

Eeek!

Have to say i'm totally happy with the bass as it is now, i was watching it for ages on eBay thinking "one day, i'll have that!". Never noticed any shortcomings in the preamp, mind i don't really push it. I just get a good clean, balanced signal and let the Markbass do the rest

That's terrible customer service though, i've never heard anything like that associated with Shuker, ACG et al. Not surprised you were unhappy with it!