Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Acme B2 Low tuned, light 2x10s *SOLD*

ben604

Hello,

Did a stupid thing and got rid of a cab that did exactly what I needed it to and bought these because of some ancient GAS.

While these are excellent cabs, suprising light (I can carry both at the same time - one on each arm) and really deep and warm compared to any other 10" cabs I've used, they just dont have the grunt of the 900W Genz Benz 6x10 I sold to buy them (I seem to play in two extremely loud bands!) and while adding another 4x10 or 1x15 would easily solve that, I dont have the cash to buy another cab without selling first.

So, I've used them in 4 practices which means there in the condition I bought them in - which is excellent considering they're 10 years old! This might be due to the fact that they've been in covers for most of their lives and have been owned by good people!

Spec from the website:

Model: Acme Low B-2 Series II
Frequency response: +/-3 dB 41Hz to 22 kHz -6 dB at 31 Hz
Power Handling: 350 Watts RMS continuous
300 Watts sine wave @ 30.87 Hz
Sensitivity: 93 dB 1W/1M
Impedance: 4
Dimensions: 23"H x 15.75"W x 16.5"D
Weight: 50 lbs / 23.2 kg

Cost me £400 + £25 to get to Nottingham and back, so looking for £400 collected or Trade/PX for something with 6 or more 10" speakers in it!

Thanks for looking!

Edited by ben604

Bump.

Suprised there's no interest in these as they're massively well regarded.

I've been given some advice that I might not be putting enough juice into them which is why I'm not feeling the oompfh, so I'm going to buy a decent power amp and give them another go, so they may well be withdrawn...

[quote name='ben604' post='663928' date='Nov 24 2009, 04:12 PM']Bump.

I've been given some advice that I might not be putting enough juice into them which is why I'm not feeling the oompfh, so I'm going to buy a decent power amp and give them another go, so they may well be withdrawn...[/quote]

good call - I've used my 4ohm LowB2 with a 500 watt Mark Bass head. If you've got two of them you'd probably need a 1000w power amp to get the best out of them.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='663940' date='Nov 24 2009, 04:17 PM']good call - I've used my 4ohm LowB2 with a 500 watt Mark Bass head. If you've got two of them you'd probably need a 1000w power amp to get the best out of them.[/quote]

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus, apparently Alexclaber and Bigjohn, their previous owners, were sticking 1k @ 4-ohms into each! So I can see where I'm going wrong at 300w each...Time to buy a ridiculous power amp....

[quote name='ben604' post='663928' date='Nov 24 2009, 04:12 PM']Bump.

I've been given some advice that I might not be putting enough juice into them which is why I'm not feeling the oompfh, so I'm going to buy a decent power amp and give them another go, so they may well be withdrawn...[/quote]

I have one and it's an excellent cab. This is a very good deal.

[quote name='ben604' post='663973' date='Nov 24 2009, 04:38 PM']Yeah, that seems to be the consensus, apparently Alexclaber and Bigjohn, their previous owners, were sticking 1k @ 4-ohms into each! So I can see where I'm going wrong at 300w each...Time to buy a ridiculous power amp....[/quote]

I was "only" putting 600w into each of them unfortunately :rolleyes:

But I reckon 1000w is where it's at - they easily handled 600w each. They're mad, bad b*stards. (or quite chilled out dinner guests... that's their beauty)

I've got an email from Acme somewhere saying "yes, we rate them @350w but that's more of a minimum rather than a maximum" :)

I might be able to put you in touch a 750w per channel C-audio power amp if you want Ben. I've had a tip off from someone who thought I still had these cabs and has just serviced it. Good amp for it he reckons - switchable power supply and all that (which is what you need really for driving these things) Might be cheapish I dunno. I have a mobile number. PM me if you want it.

Free bump for a great cab. I own a B2 (4 ohm) and love it. Needs plenty of juice though - I've got 700W from one channel of a Peavey DPC1400x for mine, thogh I'm looking at micro heads at the moment and it was plenty loud with a Markbass LM2 at 500W.

Pete

I had a Trace rig, then SWR, then got these and I've not looked at other cabinets since. Those who know my ... proclivity for switching basses are always astonished at my being utterly disinterested in any other cabs and amps out there. Well, a Low B 1 series II would be lovely for those smaller gigs! (I use a Read Custom Purity pre-amp. best there is, for me)

You DO need enough power, though! I used to have a QSC PLX2402 and now have their 1104 which is both affordable and light. I'd say it's a good fit unless you play metal, but I can't turn it up past 11 o'clock at even the bigger gigs.

[quote name='RhysP' post='677917' date='Dec 8 2009, 02:12 PM']So, judging by everybodies comments above, using a 300 watt head with this cab would be a waste of time, yes?[/quote]

Hmmm... that does depend on what head it is.

I used to use a Marshall JCM800 100W head to power 2 of them. But that's valves for ya. And the Marshall's tone cut through.

What's unique about these cabs is the high bandwidth. If you put 300W of midrange into them - they'll sound LOUD. If you put 300W of really low frequency into em - you'll hardly hear it. You'll feel it. As will your window frames, but you won't hear it...

Edited by bigjohn