Why become a member? ×

Important changes to the marketplace

ped

Hi guys

We have decided that from here on in, sellers must clearly state a price when selling items in the marketplace. This will make transactions more upfront and stop people effectively holding private auctions.

If you have a thread without a price, please edit and add one - any new threads from now on will need a price.

See rule #5 for sellers here http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=rules&f=19

Cheers
ped

[quote name='chris_b' post='692180' date='Dec 23 2009, 11:02 AM'].... and when you've sold please DON'T wipe out the description or ask the Mods to delete. It's very handy to see what has been sold. Ta.[/quote]

Totally agree with this. Especially if your trying to sell the same thing and want to try and work out the market value for it!

[quote name='chris_b' post='692180' date='Dec 23 2009, 11:02 AM'].... and when you've sold please DON'T wipe out the description or ask the Mods to delete. It's very handy to see what has been sold. Ta.[/quote]

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='692184' date='Dec 23 2009, 11:07 AM']Totally agree with this. Especially if your trying to sell the same thing and want to try and work out the market value for it![/quote]

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='692612' date='Dec 23 2009, 09:40 PM']This is great. I really hate the PM for price style threads. It really winds me up.[/quote]

+1 to all, nice one Ped

Chris

[quote name='ped' post='692879' date='Dec 24 2009, 12:05 PM']Cheers - don't thank me though folks, Johngh brought up the issue.

Have a great xmas
ped[/quote]

QUOTE (chris_b @ Dec 23 2009, 11:02 AM) *
.... and when you've sold please DON'T wipe out the description or ask the Mods to delete. It's very handy to see what has been sold. Ta.

Agree ....

QUOTE (jake_tenfloors @ Dec 23 2009, 11:07 AM) *
Totally agree with this. Especially if your trying to sell the same thing and want to try and work out the market value for it!

Agree...

QUOTE (gnasher1993 @ Dec 23 2009, 09:40 PM) *
This is great. I really hate the PM for price style threads. It really winds me up.

Totally disagree... with this one ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Totally disagree with this one and it takes away from the sellers right!!! What ever happened to freedom and choice?? ... It seems that one person makes a recommendation and it law?????

I think you should have the right to ask people to send a PM, If they want to know the price and if they are genuinely interested then they will either buy or make an offer on the bass... (it gets rid of the time wasters and tire kickers).

As a bass community people should deal fairly and honestly, that is why basschat exists??
And if people are not given the freedom or choice to state their price or ask people to PM then you may find that basschatters may resort to not listing their regular and collectible basses and rather sell privately off the boards to friends and people they know.

Also if we are on this subject.. I think that someone also need to address the issue of people posting nonsense and making un-related comments when your trying to sell a bass ... the amount of times I have seen bass forsale threads hijacked is way too many times to mention if a person is trying to sell a bass leave them be .... unless they are making a false or untrue statement...

Just my 2 cents ...

[quote name='dunetune_jazz' post='693669' date='Dec 26 2009, 12:48 PM']QUOTE (chris_b @ Dec 23 2009, 11:02 AM) *
.... and when you've sold please DON'T wipe out the description or ask the Mods to delete. It's very handy to see what has been sold. Ta.

Agree ....

QUOTE (jake_tenfloors @ Dec 23 2009, 11:07 AM) *

Agree...

QUOTE (gnasher1993 @ Dec 23 2009, 09:40 PM) *
This is great. I really hate the PM for price style threads. It really winds me up.

Totally disagree... with this one ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Totally disagree with this one and it takes away from the sellers right!!! What ever happened to freedom and choice?? ... It seems that one person makes a recommendation and it law?????

I think you should have the right to ask people to send a PM, If they want to know the price and if they are genuinely interested then they will either buy or make an offer on the bass... (it gets rid of the time wasters and tire kickers).

As a bass community people should deal fairly and honestly, that is why basschat exists??
And if people are not given the freedom or choice to state their price or ask people to PM then you may find that basschatters may resort to not listing their regular and collectible basses and rather sell privately off the boards to friends and people they know.

Also if we are on this subject.. I think that someone also need to address the issue of people posting nonsense and making un-related comments when your trying to sell a bass ... the amount of times I have seen bass forsale threads hijacked is way too many times to mention if a person is trying to sell a bass leave them be .... unless they are making a false or untrue statement...

Just my 2 cents ...[/quote]

I think that the new rule REDUCES time wasters and tyre kickers if anything. All too often the timewasters/tyre kickers are the sellers who ask for people to PM them for a price.

At the end of the day the marketplace needs to be as open and clear as possible now that we have so many members and to be honest, if you are selling something, you need to publish a price to keep things above board and reduce the amount of problems people come to me with saying 'such and such said I could have it for such and such but then he said this and sold it for that to someone else' - granted it doesn't happen very often, but as I cannot get involved in any disputes, I want to keep things on a level playing field.

You can always sell on eBay without a BIN price if you prefer, but then there are the fees and so forth.

On the whole I think this will make things much better for the majority of users.

ped

[quote name='ped' post='693682' date='Dec 26 2009, 12:58 PM']I think that the new rule REDUCES time wasters and tyre kickers if anything. All too often the timewasters/tyre kickers are the sellers who ask for people to PM them for a price.

At the end of the day the marketplace needs to be as open and clear as possible now that we have so many members and to be honest, if you are selling something, you need to publish a price to keep things above board and reduce the amount of problems people come to me with saying 'such and such said I could have it for such and such but then he said this and sold it for that to someone else' - granted it doesn't happen very often, but as I cannot get involved in any disputes, I want to keep things on a level playing field.

You can always sell on eBay without a BIN price if you prefer, but then there are the fees and so forth.

On the whole I think this will make things much better for the majority of users.

ped[/quote]

Ped understand where you coming from and also understand the such and such and he said she etc etc .. As I have had to deal with it like wise but I still totally disagree with keeping this law and there are plenty of places to list basses for free without using Ebay ... such as gumtree, findit freeads etc we could be here all day. But I still think it takes away rights from the seller if we are trying to achieve a flat and fair playing field.

Jz

[quote name='dunetune_jazz' post='693690' date='Dec 26 2009, 01:07 PM']But I still think it takes away rights from the seller if we are trying to achieve a flat and fair playing field.

Jz[/quote]

I don't know about that. The seller still has a right to go and auction his stuff elsewhere if he really doesn't want to set an opening price.

There's a theory whereby if you don't know what the value of what you're selling is, you shouldn't be selling it. I think that that holds a good deal of water when you're trying to maintain an honest selling policy. If you know the value of what you're selling, you know what the top dollar you're likely to get for it is, and you know how to price it down if you want to make a quick sale.

Based on that, I fail to see how anyone could benefit from either making people contact them privately for the price, or making people offer what they think is a fair price for it. Surely that's a waste of time, as is pretty much anything apart from saying "I want £500 for this because that's what it's worth". People can either buy it or not. Or maybe offer a bit less to see if that works. The seller's not exactly being put in an awful position. And it certainly saves time when I want to offer £400 for something that I know is worth £400 but I have to then wait around for the guy to get back to me only to find out that he's trying to get £600 for it.