Why become a member? ×

A folding double bass that works!

Steve A

If anyone is interested in the idea of a folding double bass which isn't a gimmick and looks the part (because it IS a standard double bass!) then check this out:

[url="http://foldingbass.com/"]http://foldingbass.com/[/url]

I was lucky enough to tour Germany last December alongside an American bluegrass band whose bass player had one of these instruments. He has a 'nicer' bass at home but since owning the folding bass said he uses it more and more on the road and leaves the other one at home.

After the neck broke away from the body of my own bass due to extremes in temperature and a weak neck seam, I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow his bass for the last two gigs of the tour. It was very comfortable, easy to play, had a big, woody sound and looked gorgeous.

From the front you'd never tell it was anything but a normal double bass. The only thing that gives it away is the removable panel on the back of the body which cleverly enables you to store the bridge, end-pin, tailpiece, removable fingerboard and the hinged neck.

The bass is sold with a tough hard-case as standard.

It's a very clever idea.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='734111' date='Feb 3 2010, 02:58 PM']that looks like a great piece of work.

would the constant loading/unloading of tension on the strings kill them quicker?[/quote]

DB strings tend to last years. Many years. So even if if it does knock 2 years of a lifetime of 10 years it's still not too bad.

They're like $3 plus shipping here. There's a bit about them on TB if you search. Supposedly quieter acoustically but sound like a DB with a pup when amped, which lets face it is most of the time for many of us.

I can't help but think having a finger board that detaches will really affect the tone as they are usually glued on tight. But who knows until you try one.
Buy one and let us know :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='734109' date='Feb 3 2010, 02:56 PM']Just watched the video. Tearing it down looks surprisingly quick but I imagine setting it back up again would take a lot longer.[/quote]

I watched my friend set it up and tear it down and it's all pretty quick once you know what you're doing.

The bass I tried felt lovely to play, had a nice slim neck and was well balanced and comfortable. The tone was smooth but had character. It wasn't ferociously loud but loud enough as I played it with a full circle pickup into an Acoustic image combo anyway. It sounded lovely. In the mix listening from out front it sounded warm and woody.... just right.

If playability and portability were the main factors I'd have one immediately! I'm considering one as soon as I can afford one.

Edited by Steve Amadeo

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='734127' date='Feb 3 2010, 03:10 PM']Cheers, mine will be resting over the handbrake for some time yet then![/quote]

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='734131' date='Feb 3 2010, 03:14 PM']If playability and portability were the main factors I'd have one immediately! I'm considering one as soon as I can afford one.[/quote]

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/stagg-edb-3-4-tb-upright-electric-double-bass-transparent-blue--49966"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/stagg-edb-3-4...ent-blue--49966[/url]

have any of these type of electrics been used in orchestral settings?

[quote name='TPJ' post='734121' date='Feb 3 2010, 03:07 PM']I can't help but think having a finger board that detaches will really affect the tone as they are usually glued on tight. But who knows until you try one.
Buy one and let us know :)[/quote]

The fingerboard is very snug and tight to the neck. I don't know what the actual difference in tone would be compared to a glued on neck.

On the website the creator of the idea comments on how this design differs from other portable basses by way of the fact that it is still a double bass in dimensions, with the same sound producing capabilities as a normal bass.

The sound will be less 'different' to a non-folding bass compared to a bass with a slimmer body or different body shape etc...

It would be interesting to hear the same model of bass in folding and non-folding versions.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='734138' date='Feb 3 2010, 03:18 PM'][url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/stagg-edb-3-4-tb-upright-electric-double-bass-transparent-blue--49966"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/stagg-edb-3-4...ent-blue--49966[/url]

have any of these type of electrics been used in orchestral settings?[/quote]

These sound great and I've seen / played Floyd Pepper's one (better colour). However my current singer is a real traditionalist and such a snob that if I dared show up with one of these I'd be fired! My response at the time was "Calm down Pete, they do them in different colours!". They sound the biz but I too prefer the traditional look - an opinion I usually challenge around 2am as I struggle up the stairs with my upright! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Charlie Chadwick, the inventor of the 'folding bass' will be coming to the UK to play some shows with country artist Suzy Bogguss in May and June.

This would be a fantastic opportunity to see and hear Charlie's bass in action.

Check out the tour dates here:

[url="http://www.suzybogguss.com/"]http://www.suzybogguss.com/[/url]

Steve

Edited by Steve Amadeo

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='762301' date='Mar 2 2010, 09:43 PM']Charlie Chadwick, the inventor of the 'folding bass' will be coming to the UK to play some shows with country artist Suzy Bogguss in March and April.

This would be a fantastic opportunity to see and hear Charlie's bass in action.

Check out the tour dates here:

[url="http://www.suzybogguss.com/"]http://www.suzybogguss.com/[/url]

Steve[/quote]

Looks like the dates are May and June.

I'll try and make the Sheffield or York. Her music sounds nice and it'd be cool to meet Charlie.

Thanks for the tip :)

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='762679' date='Mar 3 2010, 10:17 AM']Charlie said he'd welcome anyone to go along and see the bass. I'm sure he'd show you the system of how the bass folds up too.[/quote]

I'm more interested in the acoustic volume and tone/fullness. Half of the stuff I do is with no amp. If it can compare/better what I use now then it's a possibility.
It's a basic Shen bass so the quality should be there. Let's hope the tone is too :)

The number of times at the end of a rehearsal when I've switched off the amp, unslung my bass and put it back in its case ... and someone says, "C'mon, we've got time to re-visit that middle eight before we break".

I'd love to see the look on the bass player's face when he's just collapsed that folding double down ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='762911' date='Mar 3 2010, 01:22 PM']The number of times at the end of a rehearsal when I've switched off the amp, unslung my bass and put it back in its case ... and someone says, "C'mon, we've got time to re-visit that middle eight before we break".

I'd love to see the look on the bass player's face when he's just collapsed that folding double down ...[/quote]

Ha ha! too true. I see from my accounts for tax year 2009/10 that I'll have done in excess of 13,000 miles. Never felt the need for a bendy bass. An unneccesary distraction IMO.

[quote name='bassace' post='763023' date='Mar 3 2010, 03:04 PM']Ha ha! too true. I see from my accounts for tax year 2009/10 that I'll have done in excess of 13,000 miles. Never felt the need for a bendy bass. An unneccesary distraction IMO.[/quote]

I agree, no real need if travelling by car or van and can easily transport your own instrument. But the folding bass was, I think designed for musicians for whom space is tight or for those who fly a lot. The bass player I met in Germany had just started flying to a lot of gigs in the US and across to Europe so it saved him a lot of hassle by being able to check in the bass as luggage without too much of a problem.

It also makes the difference between playing a rented bass or your own on tour.

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='763252' date='Mar 3 2010, 07:16 PM']I agree, no real need if travelling by car or van and can easily transport your own instrument. But the folding bass was, I think designed for musicians for whom space is tight or for those who fly a lot. The bass player I met in Germany had just started flying to a lot of gigs in the US and across to Europe so it saved him a lot of hassle by being able to check in the bass as luggage without too much of a problem.

It also makes the difference between playing a rented bass or your own on tour.[/quote]

Yes, fair comment.

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='763252' date='Mar 3 2010, 07:16 PM']It also makes the difference between playing a rented bass or your own on tour.[/quote]

+1 on this. While having a few basses is a nice luxury, I can only really afford to have one bass. That being the case, having a good sounding and playing bass that travels easily is a great idea.