Why become a member? ×

Seiwa Bass?

FlatEric

Hi. Calling on your expertise.

I have had this for some time but despite the the avenues I have followed,
I can find very little about it.
Azumi and Cushin seem to be associated, whoever they are?
Lovely to play - I have even left the 4 odd strings on it, that were fitted
when I had it, as it gives out a real deep thud.

I am currently teaching myself how to write a web site, something I have wanted
to do for years - very slow progress - and when I have cracked it, I am going to
compile all the info I can find on the stuff in my collection.
To do this I am doing as much trawling as I can, to ensure it is accurate.
This enquiry will be the first of several.
The next one will be a "Parkinson" P from Leigh, in Lancs.
Anyone every heard of them? I have only ever seen one other!
I will get some pics of that, soon.

So, anyone out there have any clues?

Cheers. :)

From what little i've read on the interwebs and on the blue book, it seems that Seiwa was a short-lived cheaper range by Ibanez, coming out at the same time that fender brought out the squier range. They seem to have lasted only acouple of years around '81-'83. I don't think it's a Matsumoku, maybe bassassin can shed more light?
Very interesting jack mounting, is that a brass but?

I'm afraid I know nothing about Seiwa & I don't recall ever seeing one of those before.

Marco - I'm a bit sceptical about the Blue Book suggestion - never, ever heard this name connected with Ibanez/Hoshino, so first thing I did was a search for Seiwa on the Ibanez Collectors World forum, which came up with nothing - and if anyone would know, those guys would! Hoshino (Ibanez' parent company) used the Cimar & Starfield brands in the 80s (Cimar was their good-but-budget range) and these are fairly well documented. Having done a bit of Googling, there's a low-end Strat-type Seiwa with a slightly Ibby Blazer-ish headstock. I think people would like their Seiwas to be Ibbys - this is common & the ICW guys call it "Imaginez". You'll find the same headstocks on instruments branded Oakland & Jarock, amongst others.

Azumi was a brand thought to be used by the manufacturer Chushin Gakki (various other spellings, Chu-Sin, Cushin etc,) who evidently were originally a light-engineering firm which made guitar hardware. Latterly they moved into instrument manufacture & are known to have made MIJ Charvels, Jacksons & Robins. I'm quite persuaded by a connection between this Seiwa & Chushin by the fact it has quite unusual hardware, most of which I'm not familiar with (although the tuners appear to be the same as those used on 80s Yamahas) and it's reasonable to assume that Chushin made hardware in-house, unlike most manufacturers.

I keep seeing that truss rod cover style on "odd" Japcrap instruments like this one. I have seen it associated with a particular brand but I can't think what. Will have to have a think about this.

I should say - that's a stunning bass & I want it.

Jon.

Jon, thanks for your response - fountain of knowledge, as usual. :rolleyes:

It still remains a bit of a mystery - nothing definate.
I have a pic of an Azumi, that I found recently, which is on a memory stick
that I can't find at the mo'. DOH. :)
When I've got it, I'll post it.

Seiwa also has a Rockman association - electonics, so bears out what you say
about hardware/elecrical manufacture.

Anyone else ever come across "Seiwa"? :lol:

[size=2]Pics of Azumi Bass.[/size]

These are the pics of the Azumi and after a bit of searching, I have come across
a guitar that is the brother to my bass.

[attachment=47048:azumiCushin.JPG][attachment=47049:azumihead.JPG]
[attachment=47050:SiewaG.JPG][attachment=47052:seiwag3.jpg][attachment=47051:seiwag2.jpg]

Anyone else have a Siewa anything - Bass, Guitar, accessory?
Would be great to hear from you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Came across a thread on the Matsumoku.org board discussing "Onyx" guitars, seems to be a Canadian brand.

[url="http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4730"]http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic...f=18&t=4730[/url]

The guitar in the pics is the little sibling of the green Seiwa bass:

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='817371' date='Apr 24 2010, 05:42 PM']Came across a thread on the Matsumoku.org board discussing "Onyx" guitars, seems to be a Canadian brand.

[url="http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4730"]http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewtopic...f=18&t=4730[/url]

The guitar in the pics is the little sibling of the green Seiwa bass:

J.[/quote]

Jon, thanks for your efforts. Top man, as always. :)

I have come across this, which looks very tasty!
Same sort of pup layout/distance from bridge as an Odyssey I have and that's one of my favourites.
Bet this would growl!! :lol:

Cheers. :rolleyes:

[quote name='FlatEric' post='823981' date='Apr 30 2010, 01:00 PM']Jon, thanks for your efforts. Top man, as always. :)

I have come across this, which looks very tasty!
Same sort of pup layout/distance from bridge as an Odyssey I have and that's one of my favourites.
Bet this would growl!! :lol:

Cheers. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Oh, I like that a lot! Always had a bit of GAS for a nice through neck JapCrap with 2x P pups. I doubt it would be subtle! :lol:

J.