Why become a member? ×

Acronyms, Forum Slang and 'BUMP'!

Sparky

Howdy all. I've been a member of Basschat for a short while now ('No longer a newbie' Whoop!!!) so it's not really an introduction but hopefully my request will spur a useful thread for other people who Are just joining:

Calling all experienced Basschatters:

Any chance of a list of commonly used acronyms / forum slang and an explaination of 'Bump' please?

Thanks in advance. Sparky. :)

When anyone adds a reply to a topic it will show up when you select "View New Posts". You can ressurrect an old, dead topic simply by adding a reply. If someone has posted a question that has not been answered for some time and they want to bring up the topic again they might add a reply and "bump" the topic up in the "New Posts". Often the reply might just contain the word "bump" if they have nothing to add.

Acronyms - I don't use a lot but here are a few.

GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome
IIRC - If I Recall Correctly
FWIW - For What It's Worth
IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
LOL - Laughs Out Loud
LMAO - Laughing My Ass Off
ROFL - Rolls On the Floor Laughing

and lets not forget...

TLA - Three Letter Acronym

wollop! that's great - bump, bump, bumpity bump! ya, i had to get GAS explained to me pretty early on when i was in a critical condition - still suffering but I'm pulling through! IMHO - that one seems to come up a lot too and it's a good one to know. Thanks a lot BOD2 and anyone else who chooses to add to this thread. :)

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='89050' date='Nov 15 2007, 06:17 PM']what's YMMV got to do with anything
and what's AFAIK?[/quote]

Ok AFAIK means "as far as I know"

YMMV is often seen when a person is expressing an opinion and doent want anyone to come back at them, say:

"I find Peavey gear to be bullet proof and very good value for money, YMMV"
In other words don't blame me if you buy some and it blows up on the first outing and costs you a packet ...
OK?
Now "OK" means er actually no one knows the true meaning of OK, where it came from and if it is an acronym .. isn't etymology wonderful? :)

[quote name='Wikipedia']The historical record shows that O.K. appeared as an abbreviation for "oll korrect" (a conscious misspelling of "all correct") in Boston newspapers in 1839[/quote]
So yeees, it is an acronym, but if we want to spell oll korrectly, it should be AC

BUMP also stands for "bring up my post", for the reasons already explained

[quote name='BOD2' post='88941' date='Nov 15 2007, 02:02 PM']and lets not forget...

TLA - Three Letter Acronym[/quote]

ETLA - Extended Three Letter Acronym

RTFM - Read The Manual

BTDTGTTS - Been There Done That Got The T-Shirt

DAMHIKIJKOK - Don't Ask Me How I Know I Just Know OK

JFGI - Just Google It

[quote name='tauzero' post='89328' date='Nov 16 2007, 12:09 PM']ETLA - Extended Three Letter Acronym

RTFM - Read The Manual

BTDTGTTS - Been There Done That Got The T-Shirt

DAMHIKIJKOK - Don't Ask Me How I Know I Just Know OK

JFGI - Just Google It[/quote]

So the "f"'s are effin' silent?

[quote name='nig' post='89122' date='Nov 15 2007, 08:31 PM']its irristable...WTF, SNAFU,FOOBAR,STFU, Sorry for the obvious swear word in them.BRB,GTG,OMG,FYI, etc etc...[/quote]

FOOBAR should really be FUBAR... "officially" stands for "Fouled Up Beyond All Repair"...

[url="http://www.all-acronyms.com/?t=fubar&d=fouledupbeyondallrepair"]http://www.all-acronyms.com/?t=fubar&d...beyondallrepair[/url]

[quote name='OldGit' post='89378' date='Nov 16 2007, 02:39 PM']So the "f"'s are effin' silent?[/quote]

They always are. For example, there's a silent F at the beginning of the word Haddock, so you write it fhaddock but drop the f when you pronounce it.

I found this out at the local chip shop when I walk in and asked for fhaddock and chips. The man behind the counter said there was no f in haddock so I had to make do with a jumbo sausage and chips :)

Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='89391' date='Nov 16 2007, 01:50 PM']They always are. For example, there's a silent F at the beginning of the word Haddock, so you write it fhaddock but drop the f when you pronounce it.

I found this out at the local chip shop when I walk in and asked for fhaddock and chips. The man behind the counter said there was no f in haddock so I had to make do with a jumbo sausage and chips :)

Hamster[/quote]

Ho ho

I guess GYGAFO may make an appearance some time ..
Get Your Gear And Leave Quietly usually said at the break when your band doesn't quite fit the expectations of the WMC you are playing ...
WMC is Working Mens' Club (unless you are in Cardiff when it means "Opera House" or "The Armadillo")

FYI-

FUBAR and SNAFU were american forces slang (post WWII) standing for F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition and Sitiuation Normal All F***ed Up -----respectively

OK originates from the US in the 1830's when it was used in the papers for Oll Korect (German editor of local paper? no one really knows)

So once again the land of my Fore fathers (not 4 fathers thank goodness!) is soley responsible for spewing up the English langauge!

:)

[quote name='BOD2' post='88941' date='Nov 15 2007, 02:02 PM']and lets not forget...

TLA - Three Letter Acronym[/quote]

[b]Pedant alert:[/b]

Strictly speaking, TLA is not an acronym it is an initialism. LASER, MODEM, AIDS, RoSPA, OPEC and WAC are acronyms whereas IBM, WWF and BBC are initialisms.

And I suppose that makes me a GOM, amongst other things! :)