Why become a member? ×

Westone Super Headless bass

fraff

[b]Right then folks, it seems that people ain't feeling the '80s luv for this Westone Super Headless!! Shame, as it's a cracking player, beautiful fast neck, tonally versatile and in great shape. It seems like evil bay is calling, as my recent pedal GAS has left me a bit short and I have to move this one on, or at least trade it, which I can justify to myself in some kind of GAS-driven logic! See below for trade preferences.

So, to avoid the dreaded bay, I'm open to offers on this, as long as they are around the [color="#4B0082"][size=4]£270/£275[/size] [/color]mark (ex any delivery - free to collect from London/Colchester). I can get anyone interested pics of the hard case that comes with it too.

Any takers before the bay?[/b]

I'm looking to sell my Westone Super Headless bass which I bought S/H in about 1986.

It's the Walnut finish model - named the Super Headless Bass RC (X910WA) and has 2 Magnaflux RB pickups.

I've barely used it since the early 90s when I moved on to Fenders. But it's a versatile sounding beast, and has a very nice slim, fast neck.

Generally in excellent condition all over, bar one missing pot as you'll see from the pics and one or two dings - overall great condition for the age though. Comes with the original Westone hard case which is also in good condition. More pics available if anyone fancies a look see. And there's more info on it [url="http://www.westone.info/superheadlessbass.html"]HERE[/url]

I'm based in Colchester but regularly rehearse and gig in London, so happy to meet up in London for anyone to take a look.

[s]I'm looking for £325 (plus delivery if needed) for this.
[/s]
[s]I'm looking for [b]£300[/b] (plus delivery if needed) for this.[/s]

[b][color="#4B0082"]Would be interested in a Squire Classic Vibe Jazz (particularly if modded) or a Precision Special or something interesting of that ilk, plus a little cash. Or perhaps an Orange Bass Terror head plus money the other way! But really I'm after putting the money towards some backline - a decent (for the money) 4x10, 2x10, 2x12 or an Orange Bass Terror. Or Ampeg usual floats my boat - micro VR anyone?![/color][/b]

Someone asked for some pics showing any battle scars, so I've added a couple that show a bit of the buckle rash on the back which is barely there and the only real ding which is on the back bottom edge - it's only 4-5mm across and very shallow. And you can see on the shot with the serial number where there bass has knocked into the odd guitarist on stage. Scars well earned!

All in all, this is in excellent condition I'd say, the neck is pristine and a joy to play.

Edited by fraff

[quote name='EddHytheTown' post='829965' date='May 6 2010, 07:41 PM']Interested at all in an Ibanez Electro Acoustic?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73720"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73720[/url]

I may be willing to add cash if you are interested.

Edd[/quote]

Sorry Edd, not me kind of thing, but good luck!

Ian

[quote name='Chris2112' post='829992' date='May 6 2010, 08:11 PM']I remember playing one of these at Howards in Newcastle years ago. Great basses![/quote]
Certainly is a nice thing to play.
Hung parliament bump btw.

[quote name='walbassist' post='833181' date='May 10 2010, 04:12 PM']I had one of those and it was great; the eq is really powerful. I chopped mine in px for a Trace combo at the Bass Centre around that time, so this may even be my old bass?![/quote]

It's so long ago now I can't remember where I got this but I think it was when I was living in Wales, so quite possibly John Ham's in Swansea. Wonder if that's still there!

[quote name='cocco' post='833253' date='May 10 2010, 05:04 PM']Damn I love westones. I really want this but have no cash and nothing really to offer as a trade. Unless you fancy an
Aria SB II elite?[/quote]

Sorry, 'fraid not. If I was to trade for a bass, I'd be looking for a back up to other things - I'm a fan of Jazz shaped necks and thinking probably a Squire CV Jazz or a Precision Special. But really I'm after putting the money towards some backline - a decent (for the money) 4x10, 2x10, 2x12 or an Orange Bass Terror. Or Ampeg usual floats my boat!

Offers welcome if anyone fancies trading any of that lot!

[quote name='fraff' post='833274' date='May 10 2010, 05:16 PM']Sorry, 'fraid not. If I was to trade for a bass, I'd be looking for a back up to other things - I'm a fan of Jazz shaped necks and thinking probably a Squire CV Jazz or a Precision Special. But really I'm after putting the money towards some backline - a decent (for the money) 4x10, 2x10, 2x12 or an Orange Bass Terror. Or Ampeg usual floats my boat!

Offers welcome if anyone fancies trading any of that lot![/quote]

bumpy like thursday morning

[quote name='fraff' post='833274' date='May 10 2010, 05:16 PM']Sorry, 'fraid not. If I was to trade for a bass, I'd be looking for a back up to other things - I'm a fan of Jazz shaped necks and thinking probably a Squire CV Jazz or a Precision Special. But really I'm after putting the money towards some backline - a decent (for the money) 4x10, 2x10, 2x12 or an Orange Bass Terror. Or Ampeg usual floats my boat!

Offers welcome if anyone fancies trading any of that lot![/quote]

It's a great bass to play this, with a lovely feeling speedy neck, and a great birdseye grain.

C'mon, a bump for the weekend?

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='848021' date='May 25 2010, 10:42 PM']Give me a week to work out what i want.

So how does it balance, whats the sound, is it extremely hi-fi?

Ive never played a headless but always wanted one.[/quote]

Balance with it is very nice, it's quite light (not sure of the exact weight but can check) but very solid feeling. The first thing you notice is how much more mobile you seem to be on stage with a headless!

Sound-wise, it is (as you'd expect) quite 80s-ish so pretty clean but the active circuit can beef that up to give you the chance to drive the bottom end quite heavily. The Magnaflux RB pups are sensitive and powerful to my ears.

I always found that it was a good idea to keep the strings on there for a good long while which helps to dirty things up a bit - quite handy as it takes a while to change 'em! Unlike most headless basses, it doesn't take double-ended strings - you just use regular ones which you trim down and then clamp in place at the top under a bar that you take on and off with an allen key. A bit fiddly the first time you do it, but you soon get the hang of it!

[quote name='jonannlou' post='848042' date='May 25 2010, 11:11 PM']Does it only take d/ball ended strings, or does it have the bit on the end like the Status basses?[/quote]

Just covered that in my reply to fatgoogle...

[quote name='wizbat' post='854744' date='Jun 2 2010, 12:43 PM']I,m surprised this hasn,t gone yet!!
I,ve been thinking of buying one myself that an old friend has.[/quote]
Cheers WB
I think this one seems to be heading towards the 'bay sadly - my recent pedal GAS has meant I really need to sell this on now. Offers welcome before I 'bay it!