Why become a member? ×

Original Watkins WEM Dominator MkIII

Been umming and ahhing over selling this for a while because I've never seen another in the flesh, only a few online and none were in as good condition as this so it'd be impossible to replace but it's not getting used and I need the money/a bass. So here it is.

This is an old amp, probably nearing 40 (edit: Maths failed me) years now so it has due wear and tear. At some point someone's put what I assume is supposed to be a headphones socket on the front, but I've never tried it. The switch seems to cut the volume a bit, only used it to test it out.

Apart from the above modification it's all original, down to still having the original Mullard valves in. I don't know if the the speaker is the original 12", I've just seen a picture of one other that isn't quite the same but I don't know enough about speakers or this amp to be able to 100% verify. It does need a bit of TLC, the pots sometimes need a bit of a wiggle to get working right, but once you're playing, it's fine.

It sounds beautiful, it's basically a very similar circuit to the original Fender and Marshall amps, beautiful warm clean and as you crank it it begins to bite sweetly until you get the typical overdriven sound typical of this kind of amp. The valves sound sweet and I'm sure this amp has spent most of it's life unused. Certainly the shop I bought it from had almost forgotten they even had it buried under a load of other stuff and I've only used it a handful of times in the 8 or so years I've been playing guitar. But because I'm a bassist primarily and a bedroom guitarist that plays some heavy rock style stuff, this amp just isn't getting the use it deserves.

Ok, photos:

From the front:

From the back:

Close up of the modification to the front:

Mended tear in the front cloth, apart from this and the elasticity being gone, the front cloth is immaculate:

A gouge in the side:

Now for the good stuff!

The plate on the back, inc serial number:

Speaker:

Valves:

Close up of one of the Mullards, apart from being a bit dusty, they still look in good shape:

The rest of it's guts:

This is probably going on ebay next week for around the £375 mark, I'll take £300 from here though. I'd also be interested in trading for a jazz. If someone wants both this and my Maverick, I'd be happy to let them both go for a bit cheaper or trade for a good jazz.

For reasons obvious for a 50 year old valve amp, this is collect only, I could deliver though for price of petrol within reason.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

That is the original speaker, identical to one I had. These sound lovely, used mine for several years, the tone with volume on 7 is in the zone! (with guitar not bass i should add)
I heard Oasis used these on their 1st album.

Thanks guys, it is beautiful, if I wanted a blues amp I'd be sorted with this. But it's sadly a genre I'd never play seriously enough to need a specific amp for it.

I am selling it as a guitar amp, not a bass amp. I've heard that they were designed as bass amps in the first place (don't know if that was true or not, but it's believable though I've never tried this as a bass amp), but genuinely this is the best guitar amp of it's type I've ever heard so I'd rather sell it as a guitar amp. It does need a bit of TLC, but when you look at similar amps like the original bluesbreakers and Fenders, you're looking at an extra £1000 for something that's almost identical.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='861485' date='Jun 8 2010, 09:10 PM']Thanks guys, it is beautiful, if I wanted a blues amp I'd be sorted with this. But it's sadly a genre I'd never play seriously enough to need a specific amp for it.

I am selling it as a guitar amp, not a bass amp. I've heard that they were designed as bass amps in the first place (don't know if that was true or not, but it's believable though I've never tried this as a bass amp), but genuinely this is the best guitar amp of it's type I've ever heard so I'd rather sell it as a guitar amp. It does need a bit of TLC, but when you look at similar amps like the original bluesbreakers and Fenders, you're looking at an extra £1000 for something that's almost identical.[/quote]

Just a quick comment to let you know these sound lovley as a bass amp... I've used our lead guitards WEM dominator mic'd through the PA and the tone is to die for, but you do have to keep the volume on the amp back to get the clean tone... but what a tone.

I use it for rehearsals sometimes when I can't be arsed to drag all my stuff down