Why become a member? ×

Jon Shuker 6 string headless sig bass.

Dood

DETAILS ADDED BELOW!!!!

Expect something from the same family ..

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3746"]<a href="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3746" target="_blank">http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3746[/url]</a>

[url="http://www.danveall.co.uk/Shuker7Page.htm"]<a href="http://www.danveall.co.uk/Shuker7Page.htm" target="_blank">http://www.danveall.co.uk/Shuker7Page.htm[/url]</a>

;o)

[quote name='dood' post='101224' date='Dec 8 2007, 12:23 AM'][center][b]You'll have to wait for the details - mwah ha ha ha ha ha!!!![/b][/center]

But expect something from the same family ..

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3746"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3746[/url]

[url="http://www.danveall.co.uk/Shuker7Page.htm"]http://www.danveall.co.uk/Shuker7Page.htm[/url]

;o)[/quote]

You're a terrible tease Dood!

You got PM!

[quote name='dood' post='101224' date='Dec 8 2007, 12:23 AM'][center][b]You'll have to wait for the details - mwah ha ha ha ha ha!!!![/b][/center]

But expect something from the same family ..

;o)[/quote]

Ah Haaaaaaaaa........But I've seen Jon today.....Guess what we have been talking about !.........Doodlette............ :)

Edited by Johngh

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='101329' date='Dec 8 2007, 12:39 PM']Since you say signature bass, I guess that means that Shuker are making it as a standard model available to others after? Or is it just a normal custom?[/quote]

Well no not really, it's my custom, to my spec with my signature on it lol... I'm very lucky to be endorsed by Shuker.. and I'm just saying thank you by telling people 'Jon makes my basses' if you see what I mean. I wouldnt be upset if someone wanted a bass just like mine. I'd be thrilled infact. Blimey, I'm hardly *insert name of your favourite world class bass player* - but I have a really nice hand made bass ;o)

[quote name='7string' post='101515' date='Dec 8 2007, 09:40 PM']Doodles lil sister....!!!

[b][u]The "Doodliness"....[/u][/b] :)[/quote]

Doodlines.. mmm like it! Thats me!

[quote name='wmsheep' post='101516' date='Dec 8 2007, 09:52 PM']Doodlette??[/quote]

um Doodette?

[quote name='Johngh' post='101519' date='Dec 8 2007, 10:00 PM']Ah Haaaaaaaaa........But I've seen Jon today.....Guess what we have been talking about !.........Doodlette............ :huh:[/quote]

Awwww really? he's probably tired of the 101 emails he has already received form me!

[quote name='elom' post='101534' date='Dec 8 2007, 10:52 PM']That sounds like it should be a feminine hygiene product![/quote]

eughhhoooo thats grim!!!!

OK, here's the spec. Actually this is pretty much the spec I had over 3 years ago when I first thought about getting a headless. Its nice to be able to get the wheels in motion!

6 string headless doublecut with 'doodle' custom ummm 'stuff' ;o)
34" scale

16mm string spacing
15" - 16" board radius
7 piece laminated thru neck wenge / maple
birdseye board, high gloss
two way truss rod
carbon fibre reinforcement
zero fret
medium frets
custom lit sig inlay
neck carve as doodle, very little heel, if any.

white ash body
polyester basecoat
flip paint of some sort........!!!!!

black hardware
monorail tuners
dual string locking nut

Delano SBC 6 pickups - ok... heard these the other day.. they are SOOOO good.
Shuker preamp

my design (doodle) ramp between pickups.
engraved control covers same as doodle again!

The body shape and contours are the same as my 7 string Shuker also. Tried and tested!! Stick to what feels right.

That is a nice spec Dan!

Just one question about your choice of p'ups: The Delanos, previously you've very much been an EMG active person, having tried them at Bassday, I think that the Delanos are quite different (unless they're making an active one I've missed).

I'd hate to think it was just that they are the current fashion and Nordstrand are now out of favour? :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='103390' date='Dec 12 2007, 04:59 PM']I'm happy for you that you've found soemthing that words. It's what we're all looking for.[/quote]

Cheers Joe! YEP, I'm pretty happy - infact, as this is my 3rd bass.. I could just about get away with not visiting to check on it at all and know what I am getting... not that I could do that, of course! I'd wanna get involved lol

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='103417' date='Dec 12 2007, 05:21 PM']That is a nice spec Dan!

Just one question about your choice of p'ups: The Delanos, previously you've very much been an EMG active person, having tried them at Bassday, I think that the Delanos are quite different (unless they're making an active one I've missed).

I'd hate to think it was just that they are the current fashion and Nordstrand are now out of favour? :)[/quote]
I appreciate your comments! I must admit, I am throwing it out there a bit, based on the sound of the clip I have heard. I am an EMGer, defintely.. so I hope I am not making too much of a wrong turn!! I like the tone of the Delanos! I'm having a 3 band EQ installed if there needs to be any tweaking involved!

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='103485' date='Dec 12 2007, 06:36 PM']i feel another epic build diary is on the way[/quote]

lol.. I don't think this one will accrue the 950 replies an 29000 views of the 'Doodle' thread!!! You guys helped make my 7 string!!!

I have had some more discussions with Jon, just fine tuning the spec. I am really looking forward to this build. To have 2 workhorse basses that are nicely matched will be 'spot on'.

Any other basses will stay 'at home' .. poor things! They'll feel neglected!

[quote name='dood' post='103582' date='Dec 12 2007, 09:36 PM']I appreciate your comments! I must admit, I am throwing it out there a bit, based on the sound of the clip I have heard. I am an EMGer, defintely.. so I hope I am not making too much of a wrong turn!! I like the tone of the Delanos! I'm having a 3 band EQ installed if there needs to be any tweaking involved![/quote]

Hi Dan,

I think I may be reading too much into this, but I think you may need to consider other facts than how the p'ups sound on clips: external noise particularly.

I'm pretty sure there's no 'mojo' in the manufacture/winding of simple pickups, and other than J/P/MM styles and series/parallel wiring there's not much difference between the Delano/Nordstrand/Bartollini brands other than the current fashion.

The exception to this for me is active p'ups such as EMG/MEC/Status, who have a much lower noise floor for RF interferance from TVs, low-power lights and WiFi signals.

I saw a pic of the doodle with some electro luminescent wire a while back. I was looking at attaching such things to basses, and for most I couldn't get the inverter withing 2 meters of most p'ups without getting a high pitched squeal, the exception to this was EMG or MEC loaded basses where I could sit the inverter 10 cm away without noise! I actually spent some time with Jon looking into this, and the only real solution was to use EMGs.

Anyway, I'm certainly not trying to put you off the Delanos, they sounded very nice to me at BassDay, and I'm certain that with your experience you may already know all of this, but I just want to point out that there may be things that you can't EQ out that you may not be used to having been an EMG user.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='103606' date='Dec 12 2007, 10:55 PM']Hi Dan,

I think I may be reading too much into this, but I think you may need to consider other facts than how the p'ups sound on clips: external noise particularly.

I'm pretty sure there's no 'mojo' in the manufacture/winding of simple pickups, and other than J/P/MM styles and series/parallel wiring there's not much difference between the Delano/Nordstrand/Bartollini brands other than the current fashion.

The exception to this for me is active p'ups such as EMG/MEC/Status, who have a much lower noise floor for RF interferance from TVs, low-power lights and WiFi signals.

I saw a pic of the doodle with some electro luminescent wire a while back. I was looking at attaching such things to basses, and for most I couldn't get the inverter withing 2 meters of most p'ups without getting a high pitched squeal, the exception to this was EMG or MEC loaded basses where I could sit the inverter 10 cm away without noise! I actually spent some time with Jon looking into this, and the only real solution was to use EMGs.

Anyway, I'm certainly not trying to put you off the Delanos, they sounded very nice to me at BassDay, and I'm certain that with your experience you may already know all of this, but I just want to point out that there may be things that you can't EQ out that you may not be used to having been an EMG user.[/quote]

I understand where you are coming from. Certainly it is something we can try out on 'the bench'. As you have suggested, if worst come to the worst, I can plump for EMGs.. a known constant.

I'll let you into a secret.. that wasn't actually electro-luminescent wire ;o) - It was my awesome camera skills.. a slow shutter speed and a blue pen torch. I was actually stood in front of the camera too!

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='104708' date='Dec 15 2007, 05:41 PM']another thread to follow :)

but Jon had better finish mine before you get yours :huh:[/quote]

Well i did try to offer sexual favours to get the work done, but the 'phone line fell silent for some reason *confused*

[quote name='dood' post='104724' date='Dec 15 2007, 06:21 PM']Well i did try to offer sexual favours to get the work done, but the 'phone line fell silent for some reason *confused*[/quote]
He might have been thinking "Oh no, not again".

I tried last month and it didn't work either. I think the sight of my fishnets and jaunty trilby might have mentally scarred him.

At least you didn't make the classic faux pas of wearing a 'clockwork orange' face mask on a visit. I could only yempt the poor fella out of a darkened cupboard with chocolate hobnobs.. and then I had to promise never to wear the mask again.

Aww it was like seeing a scared puppy on fireworks night.

[quote name='dood' post='104765' date='Dec 15 2007, 08:32 PM']At least you didn't make the classic faux pas of wearing a 'clockwork orange' face mask on a visit.[/quote]
No, I couldn't find one. I had to just make do with rhinestone tipped falsies and a merkin.

[quote name='dood' post='104765' date='Dec 15 2007, 08:32 PM']I could only yempt the poor fella out of a darkened cupboard with chocolate hobnobs.. and then I had to promise never to wear the mask again.
Aww it was like seeing a scared puppy on fireworks night.[/quote]
A trained merkin can be a powerful tool in the wrong hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dood this is going to be some bass. I wanted to ask you about your ramp. i am thinking of getting one made wen i go with my upgrade to emgs on my six string. I am guessing you think its worth having but can i ask why? I find that the sweet spot for my tone is just infront of the bridge pickup and i like to play over something to help me with my speed so it makes sense for that. Also does it help with three finger tech in general i think i read you said something along those lines. any other reasons im missing for you?

[quote name='metaltime' post='110183' date='Dec 28 2007, 12:43 PM']Hi dood this is going to be some bass. I wanted to ask you about your ramp. i am thinking of getting one made wen i go with my upgrade to emgs on my six string. I am guessing you think its worth having but can i ask why?[/quote]

Thanks so much! Yes.. this bass will certainly stand out from the crowd ;o) Ahh yes! I do love my EMGs! Although this time I am going to try a different pickup! I'm judging them on what I have heard so dar.. so, should be an interesting decision.. especially if I get it wrong ha ha! - no, i don't think I have though.

Ok RAMP! Yes!! The single best thing that I have ever done to improve my 'finger style' playing is having a ramp installed. Jon and I designed the one on my 7 string (see my other build thread) that will also go on this bass. It is fully adjustable.
Ok, so why? Well the 'technology' behind the ramp is fairly straight foward really. You can liken the ramp as a guide for your fingers. When you play, you stroke your finger across the top of the ramp to where you hit the string. If the ramp is set up properly, your finger will slide straight over the string and back on to the ramp. Now.. here's the bit I like.. if you are a 3 finger (or 2 for the matter) player, you're three fingers are different lengths, so in theory, whilst you are jumping around on stage and moving about, potentially, those 3 fingers are hitting each string at different velocities.. you may also have one finger stronger than the other. With the ramp in place, your finger always hits the string in the same spot, everytime.. you will also hear less variation between each finger as well, so triplets (especially fast) sound smooth and well executed.

I have also discovered another use for it! If you bring the ramp up high enough, and play with a pick.. you can actually slide the tip of the pic over the ramp as you play, for some awesome super smotth tremelo picking!

[quote name='metaltime' post='110183' date='Dec 28 2007, 12:43 PM']I find that the sweet spot for my tone is just infront of the bridge pickup and i like to play over something to help me with my speed so it makes sense for that. Also does it help with three finger tech in general i think i read you said something along those lines. any other reasons im missing for you?[/quote]

Yup spot on.. It doesn't matter where the Ramp goes. You could put it at the end of the neck if you really wanted. I kept mine away from there as I do a bit of slap and it would get in my way. My 'sweet spot' is in between the 2 pups on my 7 string.. so this will be duplicated on this bass too.

That pretty much sums up the ramp. Check out players who use a thumb + 3 fingers technique, like Matt Garrison and Gary Willis. I think they both use a ramp on their basses.

Oh.. and whilst we're on the subject, i'd like to take the opportunity to have a quick rant: I have read posts here and there that suggest using a 'ramp' or a hairband round the bass neck as a mute is infact cheating and people who do so aren't 'real' bass players. Never before have I read such a crock o' sh*te.. these people are idiots ha ha ha!!!!

thanks for explanation. I love Garrison but havnt heard much from Willis i will check him out.

Its amazing how narrow minded people can get when it comes to playing bass. It always shocks me. a bass is an instrument and i want to play it to the best of my ability. so i want to make it as comfortable to play as possible, so i can get on with doing what is important and get on with playing. LIVE AND LET LIVE.

I sent you a PM