Why become a member? ×

new pickups for my 6 string

Dread Bass

Hi

I have a 6 string schecter studio bass i really like it and am playing it more than my others just now. It came with emg hz pickups which are passive and as this is the bass i will use live i am thinking about upgrading. what do you recommend? are there any direct replacments except active emgs obviously? is it worth it?

what do u guys think

The HZ's aren't bad pups to be honest, but on the flipside, if you can find some for a good price, I think pups is a very good first upgrade. When it comes to which, there are a multitude of options.. but your biggest problem will be finding pups that slot in the same routs!

I assume you'd prefer to stay passive?

Seymour Duncan I know do pups that are 'EMG' size. There are many others though, that I can't vouch for dimensions... Delano, Nordstrand, Bartolini, Wizard...

thanks dood, im going to have a look today at dimensions. i really fancy nordstrands i figure if im going to upgrade i may as well go all out. i am thinking of getting a refinish now as well as i really hate the orange tint. i gave your mate john shuker an email about it.

Edited by metaltime

hi Chris it already has a three band eq with an 18v system but the pickups are passive. So will alrady have a preamp? but a preamp upgrade would be nice too if it doesnt have one. Sorry electrics confuse me. I really like the bass and its not easy to find a 6 string left handed so i think my best bet is to upgrade this one.

Yes, sounds like you already have a preamp and active electrics. That's the extent of my knowledge!! I switched to Bartolini 20 years ago, because I liked the bass but didn't like the sound, and i love them but i suppose there are many more "modern" sounding pickups these days. John Shuker should know about the best combinations. Good luck.

[quote name='metaltime' post='105852' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:55 AM']hi Chris it already has a three band eq with an 18v system but the pickups are passive. So will alrady have a preamp? but a preamp upgrade would be nice too if it doesnt have one. Sorry electrics confuse me. I really like the bass and its not easy to find a 6 string left handed so i think my best bet is to upgrade this one.[/quote]

[quote name='chris_b' post='105863' date='Dec 18 2007, 12:20 PM']Yes, sounds like you already have a preamp and active electrics. That's the extent of my knowledge!! I switched to Bartolini 20 years ago, because I liked the bass but didn't like the sound, and i love them but i suppose there are many more "modern" sounding pickups these days. John Shuker should know about the best combinations. Good luck.[/quote]

I concurr with what has been said already.. The EMG HZ's are indeed passive and you have an active preamp on board. A lot of pickup choiecs will be down to taste as *most * pups are suitable for *most* preamps. Its just a case of reading up about the different sorts before you plump on a particular choice. An example of this would be that some manufacturers have preamps that are suitable for active pickups and seperate ones for passive pickups. Also, *some* pickups have a very high output and can actually provide too much drive into some preamps! Of course, on the flipside there's probably pups that are too weak for some preamps too.. I guess.

TalkBass have a good section on their forum discussing all things pickup-wise.

Jon Shuker's fave at the moment is his own preamp (which I hear from reviews is excellent - I'm gonna have one!!!) and Delano soapbars.

As for preamps, you have the options of the almost famous Aguilar OPB-3.. Our very own Mr East an affiliate on this very forum, EMG of course.. Bartolini, Seymour Duncan and many others.

[quote name='metaltime' post='105852' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:55 AM']I really like the bass and its not easy to find a 6 string left handed so i think my best bet is to upgrade this one.[/quote]

Just curious, because in your photo you seem to be playing right handed. Do you swap about? If so I'm very impressed!

Clive

an update

after talking to jon shuker i am thinking with going with emgs. Jon reckons they wil give me the sound im after also it means they will be easier to fit. On the refinish he says cause its a neck throu it entails a lot of work which is what i expected so i may leave it for now.

But i am going to get a ramp fitted Dood do you think its worth having one?