Why become a member? ×

HELP! Calculating thread pitch on screws???

Lifer

I take it we're talking machine screw here, not wood screw? If you've got a small local hardware shop, they'll probably have a pitch gauge to check against, and almost certainly a wider range of screws than B&Q etc. Or you could look for a fastenings company in your area.

Andy

Count the number of turns and divide it by the length of the threaded portion of the screw.

If it's a very small diameter screw with a fine thread, an overhead projector sometimes
comes in handy to blow up the picture. If you can measure the external diameter,
you can usually also work out the minor diameter (the diameter of the root of the thread).

With OD, minor diameter and pitch it should be possible for anyone who knows about
screw threads to identify the thread.

Unless it's an old bass it's most likely to metric, there used it be loads of different imperial screw threads, whitworth, BA,UNF, UNC etc. A right pain in the arse to be frank, to identify a thread you need to find the pitch( distance between each thread) using i set of gauges and the outside diameter of the thread, then you look it up in a book and find the match. Even then it can be hard with some of the less well known old fashioned threads. But as i said it is most likley metric, whats it for?

• 2 weeks later...

Unless, of course, your modern bass is a Fender (etc) that uses some Keraaazy imperial fittings like my 2004 MIA.
I took it to my local (excellent) tool shop, cracked open the case and said;

"I want an allen key to fit that (truss-rod), and those (saddle grub-screws)"

They nearly fell over backwards, but then, it [i]is[/i] a nice bass...

Beware imperial fixtures and fittings!